21:9 1440p 200Hz vs 16:9 4k 144Hz?

https://rog.asus.com/articles/gaming-monitors/the-35-rog-swift-pg35vq-gaming-monitor-turns-hdr-and-quantum-dots-up-to-200hz/

Which is better for DCS, having more horizontal view and zooming in more to be able to read the gauges and displays, or having a limited horizontal view, but staying zoomed out because it's easier to read the gauges and see threats?

Performance wise, I think the next gen CPUs and GPUs will be able to render DCS at the maximum refresh rates, so this is purely a gameplay question.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

you won't be running DCS at 144+ fps and 4K any time soon, not within the next few generations, if you wanna make use of 100+ fps, you're better off getting a G-sync 1440p monitor...

wider is good too, but you're fooling yourself if you think anything will be able to run 4k at a steady 144fps any time in the next few years at least...

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

you won't be running DCS at 144+ fps and 4K any time soon, not within the next few generations, if you wanna make use of 100+ fps, you're better off getting a G-sync 1440p monitor...

wider is good too, but you're fooling yourself if you think anything will be able to run 4k at a steady 144fps any time in the next few years at least...

Are you referring to the specs in your signature?

Why wouldn't an i9 7920x w/ Titan Xp in SLI be able to run DCS in 4k?

GTA5 runs over 100fps easy on 4k with all settings maxed.

I'm specifically asking regarding gameplay. Is it easier to stay zoomed-out in 4k? If I can stay zoomed out and still read the gauges, then horizontal real estate isn't really necessary then, especially if I have to zoom in on 1440p, which narrows the FOV anyways.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1080 and in particular the recent gtx 1080ti release are very much capable of 4k gaming.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-review-performance-and-overclocking-page-2

the whole "4k gaming isn't yet possible" is a meme from 1-2 graphic cards generations ago. is it expensive ( ie needing high end - enthusiast grade card) yes, but its now becoming viable.

besides given the cycle of graphics cards the gtx 2000s series are only a few months away. ( though admittedly its not the same huge leap the pascals were over maxwell, and just a refresh)

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

1080 and in particular the recent gtx 1080ti release are very much capable of 4k gaming.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-review-performance-and-overclocking-page-2

the whole "4k gaming isn't yet possible" is a meme from 1-2 graphic cards generations ago. is it expensive ( ie needing high end - enthusiast grade card) yes, but its now becoming viable.

besides given the cycle of graphics cards the gtx 2000s series are only a few months away. ( though admittedly its not the same huge leap the pascals were over maxwell, and just a refresh)

he's talking about getting a 200hz (200 fps) at 1440p, not doable in new games or 144hz at 4K not doable in new games either....

sure you can get 60 fps at 4K, but over twice that is impossible and won't be possible for a long time... unless you're playing like half-life 2, dota, team fortress 2, games like them...

I just got a 1080ti today, and i'm getting between 70 and 150 fps in dcs at 1440p, and im not using near max settings. i have a 144hz monitor.

emphasis on 144 to 200 fps at 1440p and higher

here's my settings:

c0nBqFe.jpg

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I doubt so either, so I wish it was possible.

Max fps I ever get is somewhere around 192fps, maybe there is cap locking it, I dunno.

That new Inetl i9 would have to run significantly! faster than 5G to deliver enough raw information to the card under any circumstances, with ONE core at hand. I highly doubt this, much more than the GPU needed, those will eventually be powerfull enough to make it happen, I just dont see neither Intel nor AMD advertising a 8GHz CPU anytime soon, maybe never.

That new Asus screen will come in 4th quarter 2017, till then Vega and the new 2xxx cards will likely be widely available, plus the i9 and maybe a new Ryzen/Kyzen CPU....we will see who's right.

I might do the test and crank it to 5.2G and lower res to minimum and see how many fps I can get in Ka-50, A-10C or Mi-8. Those airframes put like twice the load on the ONE core than any WWII airframe or simple FC3 modules.

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

he's talking about getting a 200hz (200 fps) at 1440p, not doable in new games or 144hz at 4K not doable in new games either....

sure you can get 60 fps at 4K, but over twice that is impossible and won't be possible for a long time... unless you're playing like half-life 2, dota, team fortress 2, games like them...

I just got a 1080ti today, and i'm getting between 70 and 150 fps in dcs at 1440p, and im not using near max settings. i have a 144hz monitor.

emphasis on 144 to 200 fps at 1440p and higher

here's my settings:

c0nBqFe.jpg

but you dont need 144hz though. DCS is not a arcade FPS shooter. TBH past 60 fps you really dont notice a difference ( at least for me), evne in other games. I myself have a 144hz but TBH i find that i only need to have 15HZ - 20 HZ of leeway for stuttering or occasional dop, so i find myself down clocking the refresh rate settings to 85. which in any case is still more than good enough even for other games where hardware allows me to make use of 85 HZ or more with minimal or no fps drop

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

With my new 4K monitor at 60hz and adaptative sync on in nvidia control panel i get really smooth gameplay with excellente Fov, no need to zoom in ever and Mfds are perfectly managable also without zooming in them, i think i have found my sweet spot, DCS 2.1 really shines in this new configuration. I come from a triple display and SLI 780ti which was nice but not so smooth like now, always microstutters.

IMHO i think in a flight sim 60hz is good enough and what we need is maximum view real estate, for keeping true total awareness, for not spending loads of time zooming in Mfds, for being able to look to the ground and the cabin at the same time etc.. many of these i have acomplished with the 43" 4k monitor (i tried overclocking the monitor and got to 63hz) just left it at default, not worth it.

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

but you dont need 144hz though. DCS is not a arcade FPS shooter. TBH past 60 fps you really dont notice a difference ( at least for me), evne in other games. I myself have a 144hz but TBH i find that i only need to have 15HZ - 20 HZ of leeway for stuttering or occasional dop, so i find myself down clocking the refresh rate settings to 85. which in any case is still more than good enough even for other games where hardware allows me to make use of 85 HZ or more with minimal or no fps drop

I honestly dont think so and dont "feel" so when playing games.

Take a Mach-1 Low Level Flight, do it with 30, 60, 90 and 120 fps, then with 185 fps.

If you dont see a difference then imho you dont want to see it.

Same and even more pronounced with Helicopters, below 60fps hovering is a lot harder than with as much as possible fps, say 80-120 fps.

Then move to mindcraft and run through a tunnel with 200fps, if you still dont see the difference you may consult a doc and have your eyes checked. That is no insult, by far not, I am not that kind of guy. It's a statement that I have shown to more than a few persons, including my son who always said his 45-60 fps on his aging machine are PLENTY....until he saw my new rig back then. Ever since he's more than convinced by facts.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

its called the law of diminishing returns.

you will see the greatest difference in smoothness between 0 -60 fps.

above 60 fps and you start to not notice.. until you get to a point where you cant notice.. its smooth. and more fps and its still smooth.

its exactly the same with the number of polygons in 3d objects.

above a certain amount and a face wont look more like a face if you add more polygons. because it already looks like a face..

so ignore the raw numbers and play with settings that you "like", for whatever reason bar raw numbers.

because it looks good, or because it runs smoother.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

above 60 fps and you start to not notice.. until you get to a point where you cant notice.. its smooth. and more fps and its still smooth.

above a certain amount and a face wont look more like a face if you add more polygons. because it already looks like a face..

so ignore the raw numbers and play with settings that you "like", for whatever reason bar raw numbers.

This ignores all the users who say once you go 144+, you can't go back. You even recognize the difference between 144 and 120.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

yup i agree here, biggest diffeerence is 0-60 after 60 not so much. I really dont see a difference between 120 and 144hz, even 85- 100 sublte but not big deal 60 and above is more than smooth enough. i really have no problems and thus when nessary i dont shy away from down clocking my refresh rate if i have to.

i have to agree getting picky with frame rates above 60 FPS ( and especially 120HZ or higher) is just silly, even with down locking to say 85 hz, gives you enough leeway in most instances so if there are stutters or dips it wont go below 60 fps ( when hardware can achieve above that).

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

This ignores all the users who say once you go 144+, you can't go back. You even recognize the difference between 144 and 120.

its negligible too me. i dont want to go back to a 60hz monitor ture, but its mroe because some games will always be unoptimized, or have some stutters or FPS drops. basically a solid 60s Smooth FPS is still good, and bove that is nice, but even i have to admit id be more than fine with Absolute top being 120HZ. Even my tv has 120hz refresh rate, and i honestly dont see myself longing for 144z Hz or even 240hz screen at all.

I would have been fine with 120HZ monitor given the option. especially given to me 144hz is peculiar refresh rate when even standard tvs when you had 60 Hz, you had the jump to more expensive one 120HZ models not 144 hz.

With all games i play i honestly cant complain that anything with less than 120HZ but reaching 60 fps or above feels Slow to me, or hinders my enjoyment in gameplay.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

It's in DCS not only visuals, it's also directly coupled to HOW OFTEN can I parse flight parameters to my airframe. With 30fps you have 30 time slices per second to tell your Heli what to do in hover, with 60 its far better, with 180 its superb direct and responsiv. While doing all that drame you mostly stand still and have a still picture mostly, no, I dont need the 144 there, but in the stick and controls it makes perfect sense, unless you fly SFM.

do we have the monitor more then the 4k@60 hz at right now?

as I remembered there are only 4k@60hz for gaming era.

the hdmi and dp port only support 4k@60hz currently.

the next patch of the port will support 4k@120kz and 5k@60hz.

and our dcs world could not support dual gpu very well,,,

(maybe ed boyz improve this feature at this days,,,

I test it few years ago, but they didn't mention dual gpu or multi-core support for a long time.

and no one forumer ask these question, it seems everyone had already forgotten it.)

Edited by Drag0nWIng

do we have the monitor more then the 4k@60 hz at right now?

as I remembered there are only 4k@60hz for gaming era.

the hdmi and dp port only support 4k@60hz currently.

the next patch of the port will support 4k@120kz and 5k@60hz.

and our dcs world could not support dual gpu very well,,,

(maybe ed boyz improve this feature at this days,,,

I test it few years ago, but they didn't mention dual gpu or multi-core support for a long time.

and no one forumer ask these question, it seems everyone had already forgotten it.)

actually there is a 144hz 4k monitor coming out soon from asus.

https://www.asus.com/Monitors/ROG-SWIFT-PG27UQ/

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11014/asus-demonstrates-rog-swift-pg27uq-4k-144-hz-hdr-dcip3-and-gsync

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

there are 3 problem I've mentioned,

1. no 4k@144 hz monitor ar current, yeah that asus looks amazing, and no one will care of its price.

2. no cable and port to adapt it, maybe you would use 2 or 3 cable to connect monitor and GC.

3. no single graphic card could run dcsw at 4k@144hz, bcs of poor support for the multi gpu.

and who knows the future? It's bright, but currently it's to early to discussion.

there are 3 problem I've mentioned,

1. no 4k@144 hz monitor ar current, yeah that asus looks amazing, and no one will care of its price.

2. no cable and port to adapt it, maybe you would use 2 or 3 cable to connect monitor and GC.

3. no single graphic card could run dcsw at 4k@144hz, bcs of poor support for the multi gpu.

and who knows the future? It's bright, but currently it's to early to discussion.

I dont see these as problems:

1. So? 4k monitors are already here ( 60 hz) 4k monitors with 144hz capability like that asus will be release very soon. This is not something that will require few years to arrive ( It would Previw/ not be on thier website page if it wasn't. This is not just a Mere Rumor tech article). By that logic if no one will "care"for its price, than no one would care for price of 1080 ti. I myself am very interested in buying one of those and i

2. What? you dont need 2-3 cables unless your trying to use 2- 3 monitors. HDMI or a DVI are capable of displaying native 4k from the Graphics card to the Monitor ( if it support 4k)

3. And? you dont need to run DCS at 4k 144hz maxium refresh rate to enjoy it. if that are your such high standards you must not like 1080 or 1440p then. However buying a 4k 144hz monitor is better investment, than buying a 60hz even if you cant actually reach that high of a refresh rate just yet.

No its not too early to discuss. thats your opinion. To early would be to conduct a discussion about viable gaming in 5k or even 8k but not 4k as of this generation of top end graphics cards ( and soon to be introduced next gen top end cards). ;)

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Have you read the standard of DP & HDMI ports at currently?

It could not support 4k@144hz at one port, it's the next patch, not now one(on the market).

The next patch support 4k@120hz (or two 4k@60hz by using one port) and 5k@60hz, it increases the bandwidth.

However the next patch had already released, but no port in graphic card and monitor support it at the civil market, the maximum is 4k@60hz.

If you have a powerful graphic card could run the dcs at 4k with 144hz, you still could not out put it.

And I said maybe you need 2 or 3 port which only support 4k@60hz to output the graphic on the monitor, so it needs 2 or 3 cable.

The reason and logic is this, the port has not enough bandwidth to output such high resolution and frequency.

Edited by Drag0nWIng

Have you read the standard of DP & HDMI ports at currently?

It could not support 4k@144hz at one port, it's the next patch, not now one(on the market).

The next patch support 4k@120hz (or two 4k@60hz by using one port) and 5k@60hz, it increases the bandwidth.

However the next patch had already released, but no port in graphic card and monitor support it at the civil market, the maximum is 4k@60hz.

If you have a powerful graphic card could run the dcs at 4k with 144hz, you still could not out put it.

And I said maybe you need 2 or 3 port which only support 4k@60hz to output the graphic on the monitor, so it needs 2 or 3 cable.

The reason and logic is this, the port has not enough bandwidth to output such high resolution and frequency.

yes and have your read the articles or what I wrote? do 1.4 can support 4k above 60 hz to at leazt 120 if nit 144. gtx1000seriesnd to do have dp 1.4 support.

4k 144hz monitor from Asus is a very near future release. it's already been tested and can very much go above 60 fps. also dp 1.4.

I see no problem here once such monitor goes for sale. hardware will will be the only limitation here. from getting super high frame rates, but that will gradually become non issue as generations of cards will gradually get more powerful.

again 4k gaming is here. and gaming on a 4k 144hz capable monitor are just around the corner no matter how you try to spin it.

already this has higher than 60 h hz (100 hz max refresh)

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16824236717

if 4k benchmarks are any indication it's certainly possible to get above 60fps in some games.

://www.tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/118/msi-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-gaming-11g-new-4k-king/index.html

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

100 hz or more panels with gsync or freesync.

You testing the fps ingame with your graphic settings. Set min and max fps. I have all on max settings in dcs 2.1. Min fps over vegas middel hight its 60 fps in 26 000 feet 100 or more . Im set the hz to 60 hz on screen and v sync on. I have the asus rog 34 wqhd 3440.1440 max 100hz.

Best config for gsync

Testing your settings vsync off see the min fps and set the hz to min fps and vsync on nivida panel. And dcs runs very very smooth no glitch or thearing

System

Hydro H115i with 8700k @ 4,9 ghz all cores, Asus strix Z370 f, 32gb ddr4 3600Mhz, Asusrog swift 34 gsync ,Vr hp Reverb .Palit gaming pro 2080 ti Thrustmaster Warthog f18grip and th pedal

Steamvr ss 100% and dcs world ss 180%

tomcat eats the viper for breakfast :P

Lange lebe die Tomcat": Long live the Cat!