Modules on Desktop & Laptop?

mytai01

I recently bought a laptop to play DCS World on while I'm away from home. However, I already have all my modules installed on my home desktop PC. Is there any problem with me installing modules on my laptop while I'm away knowing that I have no access to my desktop from here?

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

The older modules, those that use Starforce protection, only can be used on a single machine ... if you try to use them on two computers, you will quickly run out of activations.

For the newer modules, those that have no key, but are binded to your login account, I really dont know ... probably they would work but I have never tried it.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I'm interested in doing the same thing as mytai01, putting DCS on my laptop as I will be out of town for two months. Mainly I'm interested in using the WWII planes and the Normandy map along with Combined Arms.

What I don't understand is this activations and their loss. How do I lose them and how many do I have? How do I deactivate on my desktop and then re-activate when I get back home?

What I don't understand is this activations and their loss. How do I lose them and how many do I have? How do I deactivate on my desktop and then re-activate when I get back home?

On DCS's documentation folder (\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Doc) there is an Activation Guide that details the procedure.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

The older modules, those that use Starforce protection, only can be used on a single machine ... if you try to use them on two computers, you will quickly run out of activations.

How is that? Using them on a second machine will use one extra activation, out of 10. :doh:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

How is that? Using them on a second machine will use one extra activation, out of 10. :doh:

Well, it depends ... if he is replacing his desktop with a laptop, then yes, he would loose a single activation when making the switch (assuming he didnt deactivate them first).

However, if he plays on the laptop during a trip, and then when he comes back plays again on the desktop, and he repeats the cycle everytinme he goes away ... then he will eventually run out of activations.

So what you are saying is if you use the desktop today and then the laptop tomorrow, never using both at the same time, you have used an activation. Then if you do this ten times you have used all the activations.

If I understand this correctly, I would need to deactivate the desktop if I planned on using the laptop the next day and when I return, then deactivate the laptop and reactivate the desktop to prevent using any activations. Is that correct?

So what you are saying is if you use the desktop today and then the laptop tomorrow, never using both at the same time, you have used an activation. Then if you do this ten times you have used all the activations.

Yes, that is exactly right.

... I would need to deactivate the desktop if I planned on using the laptop the next day and when I return, then deactivate the laptop and reactivate the desktop to prevent using any activations. Is that correct?

Yes, everytime you deactivate, you are in fact recovering an activation ... that you then use on the new activation on the other machine

... the only problem is that you get only 10 deactivation (3 on some campaigns), so you are limited to repeat this process 10 times and thereafter you would start to use up the activations until on cycle 20 you would have no more.

This is the situation with the DLCs that use Starforce ... Hopefully the new login-based protection is better on this regard (tough I'm not really sure, as unlike Starforce, there is no proper documentation on the new copy protection method)

Best regards