How do I use the speedbrake?

Crunchy

I just did my controller setup using Chucks F18 guide, so my speed brake is on my Warhog Hotas throttle and shows as working when I click it in the DCS controller settings. However, if I engage it in the sim in the air the F18 doesn't slow down at all? I take it that the speed brake is used to slow you down while in the air, but it doesn't work for me? Am I missing something here? Any help would be really appreciated because it makes the sim unplayable for me with the speed brake working. Cheers!

when you look behind you or in exterior view can you see it upright between the fins? If so it will be slowing you down!

Note - for rapid speed loss nothing beats a high alpha sustained break turn!

• Like 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

Also the speedbrake will retract under certain circumstances which doesn't happen with the A10C.

"Speedbrake EXTEND–OFF– RETRACT. The speedbrake is mounted between the vertical stabilizers. It is controlled by a throttle mounted switch. Airborne, when in the AUTO FLAPS UP mode, the speedbrake automatically retracts above 6.0 g or above 28° AOA and, when not in the auto flaps up mode, below 250 knots. The speedbrake will automatically retract if flaps are extended unless the speedbrake switch is held aft. The speedbrake extends with the flaps HALF or FULL so long as the switch is held in EXTEND. The speedbrake can be commanded to extend to any intermediate position but will retract fully with a momentary forward press of the speedbrake switch. The speedbrake operates normally on the ground."

• Thanks 1

Auto flap setting work according to Gs, AOA and speed and also controls speedbrakes. As KFTGB you would only use full/half settings when taking off/landing. There may be some emergency procedure detailing the use of non-auto setting, but for normal flying, keep it auto.

The singular point here is that it takes 3-4 seconds to fully extend the speedbrake and the switch must be held until the speed brake is fully extended . DCS models the airflow sound so you can hear when it is fully extended .

As previously noted , the speedbrake will fully retact with only a momentary switch press .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

The singular point here is that it takes 3-4 seconds to fully extend the speedbrake and the switch must be held until the speed brake is fully extended . DCS models the airflow sound so you can hear when it is fully extended .

As previously noted , the speedbrake will fully retact with only a momentary switch press .

It will also retract with flaps at auto, under other circumstances.

Are you using the TARGET software? Your problem might be that your key command is a "pulse" instead of "hold". You need to depress your button until the speed brake is deployed. A "pulse" would only press your button for a few milliseconds. You would not see the difference in the controller setup page in DCS, as even a pulse would just highlight it.

Also be aware that when your gears are out your speed bake auto retracts. when you release the button.

I would first test the behavior with your keyboard...

PC Specs: Win10, 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5CL30@6000Mhz, ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X, 2x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, LG OLED42C2, Pico 4
Flight Sim Gear: VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip with WarBRD Base and 6cm extension, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC SharKa-50 Collective Grip with Rotor TCS Plus Base, BRD-F1 Rudders(Su-35), 3x8"LCD 1024x768 with TM-MFDs, DIY dashboard with 60 buttons and 8 axis MMJOY2, POV-HAT(no TrackIR)
Aircraft: F/A-18C, F-16C, F-14, F-5E, Mig-21bis, Mig-15bis, AH-64D, Mi-24P, Mi-8MTV2, Black Shark 2 & 3, Uh-1H, FC3, SpitfireLFMkIX, P-51D, I-16, Mosquito FB VI, Bf109K-4
Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria, Channel, Sinai

Tech: WWII Assets Pack, Supercarrier

Yep that is the way it works for me.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Great thanks for all the help. I have it working now. Didn't know the speed brake retracts when your gear is down though. Isn't that a bit silly because I always used to land the A10C with the speed brake deployed and the gear down. I felt having the speed brake deployed really helped with landing the A10C.

Presumably it's because the Hornet's gear itself is very draggy. Additional air resistance is unnecessary.

As far as I'm aware you can still extend the airbrake with the gear down, but it requires holding the switch in the aft position.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

Also note that taking off with auto flaps will screw up your pitch trim.

FA18C seems to be designed to keep autoflap On when taking off, since you're supposed to hit sustained speeds > 250 kts, 350kts for ferry and higher for altitude cruise, your pitch change is less in Auto than in - early - manual

.. Didn't know the speed brake retracts when your gear is down though. Isn't that a bit silly because I always used to land the A10C with the speed brake deployed and the gear down. I felt having the speed brake deployed really helped with landing the A10C.

Not flying like Airforce but like NAVY, you take shortcuts in the pattern which (often enough) means you correct your speed, when gears down, with additional holding of the speedbrake button, nothing wrong with that, the brake auto retract rather a safety design feature I'd guess, try landing fully loaded up (in a crosswind) and notice what happens with your speedbrake out when you cannot know your precise stall speed ..

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Great thanks for all the help. I have it working now. Didn't know the speed brake retracts when your gear is down though. Isn't that a bit silly because I always used to land the A10C with the speed brake deployed and the gear down. I felt having the speed brake deployed really helped with landing the A10C.

As others have stated the speed brakes work just fine on the aircraft. I also use a TM WH and have zero issues with the speed brake working. This is more like you failing to know the ins and outs of the F/A-18C.

It won't retract the speed brake simply due to landing gear down. It WILL retract when you take flaps out of auto though. It can still be used with flaps in full but you must hold the switch to extend position to extend the speed brakes and to keep it extended.

The F/A-18C isn't an A-10C and if you set up for landing correctly the speed brake isn't used until after landing to help with scrubbing more speed off. After WoW the speed brake will stay extended without requiring the switch hold. Even if you are close and fast as pointed out you can go idle and scrub speed via sharp S turns. If you are too close and too fast and you STILL commit to landing then you will have to hold the switch to keep it out.

Edited by Stubbies2003

I would have thought the speedbrakes retract on landing because of Carrier requirements. Boltering with the speedbrake out could make it hard to regain takeoff speed.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD