What is an Ammunition Truck?

Wrecking Crew

I have a Red convoy with a couple of MSTAs and one Transport Ural-4320T. I drove a MSTA next to the truck and pressed LALT+\ to reload but I got a message that no ammo was available.

What kind of truck is an 'Ammunition Truck'?

WC

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

Yes it is defined as an ammunition truck or "warehouse" as it is listed in the files. There are a number of other trucks that also have this value URAL-375, KAMAZ-43101, GAZ-66, and GAZ-3308 to name a few for Russia. I think the M-818 is the only US mobile warehouse in the game. Rearmming should also work near FARPs, warehouse objects, and airbases.

Try using either

LALT + ' or LCTRL + R

Screen_150109_215902.thumb.jpg.7e9d999a920be2151a14ac16def704aa.jpg

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Hmmm, I'll try this again. Something (the manual) tells me I have to have a Ural-375...

Weapon Resupply

Replenishment of ammunition is carried from a warehouse or truck, URAL -375 for the red coalition and the M818 for the blue coalition.

I did try LCNTRL-R. I was using JAR's new CA Key Command PDF.

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

It'd be great to work out all the rules for replenishment.

Perhaps the folks that wrote the code could provide that information.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

WC, the Ural-375 also works. But something (game files) tells me that those other objects are also classified as "warehouse" objects. I do recall the Ural-375 and M-818 being to only vehicles capable of re-arming ground units when CA first came out, but the list has been expanded.

Yeah I've had some issues rearming as well in some situations. It'd be great to work out all the rules for replenishment. I started trying a few things but am not sure.

A lot of what governs it has changed with CA '1.5'. I'll look into it.

Yep, that's what I changed the Red vehicles to -- the Ural-375. Wanted to test it yesterday but a new (secondary) CPU fan in the Hollo Pointe server caused issues with freezing and reboots -- go figure that one! Removed the fan and all seems well again.

WC

Arty observations...

I got to play with the MSTAs after they had shot all their rounds -- there are three in this group, along with a Ural-375 and a couple other vehicles. The mission is Paradise on the Hollo Pointe server.

This particular arty group has an assigned target so they will expend the ammo on their own, without any input from me.

After they shoot all their rounds they will just sit there even with the Ammunition Truck nearby. I had to enter into each MSTA as a Tactical Commander and press the LALT-\ to start each of them to rearm -- commanding one MSTA to rearm did not initiate the process with the other two. (Hmm, I did not try to select the group and then press LALT-\, perhaps that will work?) Each MSTA showed a rearm time of about 1100 seconds.

After any of these MSTAs rearmed, they would not resume firing. I gave the group a target, after removing all previous targets. I tried selecting each MSTA with F7 and gave each their own target. I could not get the artillery to resume firing after a rearm.

Also, if I enter any MSTA as a Tactical Commander then that MSTA goes 'rogue' from the group. It won't fire with the others, and upon exit the unit will move around a bit and then stop and will not raise its turret and fire again.

Comments and/or suggestions to get this arty group to drop steel on target again?

WC

Define "nearby". I believe that for ammo trucks vehicles must be within 50 to 100 meters of the vehicles in order to re-arm.

After any of these MSTAs rearmed, they would not resume firing. I gave the group a target, after removing all previous targets. I tried selecting each MSTA with F7 and gave each their own target. I could not get the artillery to resume firing after a rearm.

Were you testing it in single player or multiplayer? The AI should be following the orders you are giving them.

Also, if I enter any MSTA as a Tactical Commander then that MSTA goes 'rogue' from the group. It won't fire with the others, and upon exit the unit will move around a bit and then stop and will not raise its turret and fire again

I couldn't replicate that. Possibly it is a knock on effect of the AI not resume firing overall. So I'm not entirely sure whats going on.

I have a similar problem with M109s and M-818. This is a self made mission, tested in the mission editor.

M109s are sitting right next a farp and very close to the trucks. After expending their ammunition they show a 4000 seconds rearm time :/

I have not tested this with the Blue side. I'll look at those vehicles to compare to the Red MSTAs and Ural-375.

All of my testing is in multiplayer in the Paradise mission on the Hollo Pointe server.

4000 seconds seems like the default rearm time if no resupply truck, etc. is available. But sitting next to a (Blue?) FARP with an M818 should work, I'd think...

WC

Ok, so here is a quick summary of how re-arming works now...

AI are now required to be near a warehouse in order to re-arm.

- Warehouses are friendly airbases, farps, warehouse static objects, or specific unarmed vehicles.

- Like before each warehouse has a different radius that their power extends to. I believe the numbers are unchanged.

Re-arming is no longer instant.

- Re-arming takes time to accomplish. Ground vehicles cannot move or attack when they are being re-armed. Players with CA control can interrupt this process, but AI by themselves cannot.

- Different weapons get re-armed at different rates.

There are 3 types of re-arming.

1. Complete ammo replenishment. (Automatic gun belts, mortar)

2. Ammunition items added one by one (missile launchers and AP/HE rounds)

3. Several items added simultaneously (SA-15 Gauntlet, 4 missiles pack)

For reference the old system had AI re-arm automatically after either 30 or 60 minutes. Only sam sites were re-armed completely. All other combat vehicles were re-armed with a portion of the ammunition. Say an artillery piece had 30 rounds to start, they would automatically re-arm an hour after they ran out and would get 10 or so rounds. If vehicles, other than sams, were near a warehouse they would have infinite ammo, and ammo was replenished instantly. Sam sites didn't follow this infinite ammo behavior and they were mostly re-armed at 30 minute intervals.

Re: M109. It appears to be the odd one out in terms of behavior. It has the longest rearm time of all howitzers and it has the slowest fire rate once it has expended the first 14 shells. Its re-arm doesn't seem to be calculated the same as other howitzers. It takes somewhere between 4000 and 7000 seconds to re-arm it. In comparison the longest Russian howitzer re-arm time is about 1500 seconds for the Msta... So yeah, thats a bug I think.

Re: M109. It appears to be the odd one out in terms of behavior. It has the longest rearm time of all howitzers and it has the slowest fire rate once it has expended the first 14 shells. Its re-arm doesn't seem to be calculated the same as other howitzers. It takes somewhere between 4000 and 7000 seconds to re-arm it. In comparison the longest Russian howitzer re-arm time is about 1500 seconds for the Msta... So yeah, thats a bug I think.

Excellent post, thanks.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

are the Ural-375 and M-818 carrying an infinite number of ammo inside their cargo?

it seems there is no where to set the amount of cargo for none of them, and less the type of ammo they are transporting...

so, placing a couple of those trucks near S300 and/or Patriot SAM sites will be feeding them with infinite ammo?

if so, that's very wrong.. :mad:

Edited by Teschmacher

My custom made aircraft skins and other content for DCS World!

WIN 10  / 64Gb RAM DDR4 @ 4000mhz / i9-10900KF @ 5.3ghz / NVIDIA GeForce 3090 RTX / SSD Samsung EVO 970 / VIRPIL / MFG Crosswind / Pimax 5k+ 

As far as I understand, Yes. But it takes so bloomin' long for the bigger units to rearm it's like the truck driver could have driven back to base, loaded up, spent the night in town, and returned the next day before the rearm actually happens.

WC

so, placing a couple of those trucks near S300 and/or Patriot SAM sites will be feeding them with infinite ammo?

if so, that's very wrong.. :mad:

Ground vehicles and ships don't have complex loadout systems in the same way that aircraft do. Its in a similar vein that the gun ammo for aircraft isn't currently tracked at all. Part of it is down to the sheer scale of it and part down to the game simply hasn't expanded the resource management a whole lot since it was first introduced.

well i did manage to get the m1 to rearm

after reading the dcs user manual i found some stuff over linking the depots/warehouses to an airport

the i let the truck drive from the depot to the artillery where i also drove myself with the M1

finally reloading started :)

but i must say it would be a great idea if there were some Combat Arms video,s about doing everything :pilotfly:

Screen_160417_205931.thumb.jpg.70a0bc66b47537600ddcb7983a9fa436.jpg

Screen_160417_205922.thumb.jpg.b725126ba77703949cbbf2f0077ec989.jpg

Screen_160417_205743.thumb.jpg.20fab078a37ee03cdc9e1772da42389d.jpg

Ground vehicles and ships don't have complex loadout systems in the same way that aircraft do. Its in a similar vein that the gun ammo for aircraft isn't currently tracked at all. Part of it is down to the sheer scale of it and part down to the game simply hasn't expanded the resource management a whole lot since it was first introduced.

Hmm I reckon once the more important stuff (map merging, blah blah blah) has been finished maybe the resource system could be expanded? I for one would like to see the ability for certain objects to have the whole supplier or warehouse thing added to them, with constraints for how much or what munitions they can carry, but that is one probably for the wishlist thread...

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Ok, so here is a quick summary of how re-arming works now...

AI are now required to be near a warehouse in order to re-arm.

- Warehouses are friendly airbases, farps, warehouse static objects, or specific unarmed vehicles.

- Like before each warehouse has a different radius that their power extends to. I believe the numbers are unchanged.

Is somewhere a list of specific objects static or active unarmed and their 'maintenance' radius?

Which active unarmed trucks specifically? Do same but static object trucks also provide with ammunition?

Thank you for summary, but still these are frequent questions :) pity these features are not obviously displayed through mission editor interface..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by Shaman

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer