Redkite : JF-17 Pre-Release Preview!

RedKite

Truly awesome and thorough "first look" at the JF-17. Thank you Mr Kite!

I have to say congratulations and well done Deka Ironworks for an amazing first effort!! Very impressive indeed. Really surprised at the level of completeness and systems detail at EA. The configuration on the Specials Page and data cartridge are excellent inclusions.

I haven't had much focus on this aircraft until just recently, but the more advanced avionics, bespoke weapon systems, balance required for mission planning and the fact that it can be a REDFOR or BLUEFOR aircraft, depending upon the scenario, makes it highly interesting. Hopefully they will include a Block 2 upgrade at some time

The only thing that caught my eye were SOME of the cockpit textures, which looked a little VEAO ish to be honest, but you could also see others that already looked much better and as Mr kite stated, "They are WIP and may be replaced already by EA on 4 Dec."

I'm sold so far and very happy that it looks like we have another solid an innovative 3rd Party Developer at the DCS table.

So the flight model is Standard, external, or proffesional? But the question is, how 'real' is it to the actual aircraft?

SFM is not supported anymore. EFM and PFM are the same but PFM is for ED and EFM for 3rd party aircraft.

as for how real, like any other module probably. As close as possible.

Great video as always Redkite. Certainly an interesting aircraft that will provide for some interesting mission designs. One of the key things pointed out by Redkite is that this aircraft is not going to be able to conduct multiple mission roles in a single flight. It neither has the range or payload capability to fulfil multiple roles in a single sortie. I am quite impressed by the near complete state that this will be released in. My hat off to Deka Ironworks for that.

Intel i7-8700K | Asus Maximus X Formula | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gainward Phoenix GTX1070 GLH | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 1 x 250GB OS & 1 x 500GB Games | Corsair RM750x 750W | Corsair Carbide Air 540| Win10 | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz | Custom water loop: CPU EK-Supremacy EVO, GPU EK-GTX JetStream - Acetal+Nickel & Backplate, Radiator EK-Coolstream PE 360, Pump & Res EK-XRES 140 Revo D5, Fans 3 x EK-Vardar 120mm & 2 x Corsair ML140 140mm

It's the module I didn't even know I wanted! This might be my modern aircraft purchase. I didn't really want or care for the F-16 and I spent a decade working on the F-18 so I can go a while without seeing it. I'm hoping I can get some love out of this module as much as I do from my MiG-21.

Ryzen 7 3800x - 32G DDR4 3400Mhz - RTX 2070 - M.2 1TB - Saitek x52 - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals - Oculus Rift - 2 lap cats

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000, AJS37 Viggen, AV-8B, MIG-21bis, MIG-19P, Mig-15, F5-E3, F-86F, A-4, F-14, A-10C, JF-17

What I want to understand better is that in the Q&A video from jabbers, Deka have said that the aircraft can operate for up to 3 hours while RedKite claims that it cannot remain in the air for much long. Since neither of them explained this in much detail, what do I make of this?

Current Hangar : A-10C II ¦ AJS-37 ¦ A/V-8B ¦ F-14A/B ¦ F/A-18C ¦ FC3 ¦ JF-17 ¦ Ka-50 III ¦ Mi-8 ¦ M2000-C ¦ SA342 ¦ UH-1H

Other Modules : Combined Arms ¦ Persian Gulf

TRAINED - LEARNING - LOW EXPERIENCE - ABANDONED

In Jabbers video, I believe they mentionned the 3 hours was done by using 3 external fuel tanks, while in Redkite's video, he said the plane wouldn't have much air time with a mutli-mission loadout, ie with all pylons used for weapons or sensors and only internal fuel.

It's got good cruise endurance with 3 tanks. But moment you start operating it as a combat aircraft it's far more restrictive. You need to reserve enough fuel for a good stint in afterburner for self defence, carry heavier draggier payloads, fly at lower altitudes as dictated by the mission and operate the engine at higher levels in the combat area. These all eat significantly into the fuel load, couple that with carrying one or two tanks and you can see the issue.

Some larger weapons like the Man in the loop or anti-ship missiles can only be mounted on the same pylons as the ones able to carry wing tanks. Then there's the Targeting pod, ecm or datalink pod, you'l always be compromising on loadouts

It'l be just fine in a lot of dcs situations, with our often compressed missions and disregard for personal safety, but you certainly have to budget your load out and fuel for combat.

Edited by RedKite

Creator of DCS Tutorials and Flightsim content

https://www.youtube.com/user/RedKiteRender

Thank you for the clarification. I understand better now. The tanks play a big role on this aircraft. I hope it has as much mission time as the harrier at least. I will probably use it more for ground strikes. I am also curious how it will perform with similar air to air load out like the mirage from Razbam.

Current Hangar : A-10C II ¦ AJS-37 ¦ A/V-8B ¦ F-14A/B ¦ F/A-18C ¦ FC3 ¦ JF-17 ¦ Ka-50 III ¦ Mi-8 ¦ M2000-C ¦ SA342 ¦ UH-1H

Other Modules : Combined Arms ¦ Persian Gulf

TRAINED - LEARNING - LOW EXPERIENCE - ABANDONED

Awesome that the module allows pilot to change from rasterized map to height map in digital map!

I so would like to use DCS height map in A-10C, AV-8B Harrier etc, as all those USMC etc rasterized maps are "useless" to me after so custom to clarity and high information of the KA-50 ABRIS (and to what the DCS map is based to).

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.