Combat Simulation - Where to Begin ?

ypaul

Hi,

I want to slowly start getting into the world of modern air combat. I have vast experience in civilian simulation, which doesn't mean much here...

I own DCS + Nevada + L39 + A-10 + Oculus rift.

Please help :)

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Well, just do what you do in civilian simulation, because before you get to the weapon systems and such you need to be able to fly the combat aircraft just like you need to be able to fly a civilian aircraft. So jump in the cockpit and lets go! :)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

It depends on what kind of knowledge you have on combat systems, threars, etc.. but my recommendation would be to:

1- Complete all the training tutorials coming with the A10, get an overall knowledge on how everything works

2-Watch youtube channels that covers tutorials, for example the grim reapers or bunya sims are a good place to start specially for the a10 and general combat topics

3 - Read the manual

4 - Use these forums

5 - if you the time, join a virtual squadron, lots of nice people eager to explain you and guide you through the basics

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

Personally I'm starting out by getting comfortable flying the aircraft between locations and running the basic aviate/navigate mechanics. After that I'm going to start on weapon employment until I can reliably run them under training conditions. Then I'm going to start adding in various combat elements, etc etc.

A different option is to dive into the deep end and start a dynamic campaign and focus on surviving missions: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=191858

You can do both, or something in between.

I also gather there are some online training squadrons that are entirely based around learning to fly and fight. Depends on how you learn best.

The L39 is vastly simpler than the A10, so I'd get the basics down with it first. Unfortunately not much will translate between the two platforms, but the L39 is a good trainer for the Mig19/21.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Start with tutorials to learn aircraft basics as described above. After that I'd dive into the Mission Editor. It will take you some time to learn it, there are guides on youtube to help with that. However you can get the basics down fairly quickly.

Place your plane on the map, set its skill to "Player" so that you will be in control of it. Select your weapons. Then place targets for you to practice on. I'd suggest unarmed targets or static objects because they won't shoot back and the latter includes some large and easy to find objects like helipad FARP's.

You can fly your custom mission to practice whatever aspect of combat you like, and as you learn more you can expand the mission to explore other aspects of combat flying.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

As USA Recon said, find a multiplayer group that'll be willing to train you up, they exist and you'll have more fun talking and joking with them while you "accidentally" learn the things your practicing with them.

Don't be intimidated, we were all beginners at some point and some groups really will be happy to take the time to teach you what you need to know.

Hi,

I want to slowly start getting into the world of modern air combat. I have vast experience in civilian simulation, which doesn't mean much here...

I own DCS + Nevada + L39 + A-10 + Oculus rift.

Please help :)

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Since you have Nevada and the A-10C. I'd start with this:

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=287

and this:

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=403

The First link is to a MOD that adds the Nellis Range Targets to your game.

The Second link is to missions with the various Ranges populated with the targets added by the First link. The Maps also have various Nav Points and Fixes to use with the Navigation system when you get to that point.

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/showthread.php?4342-NTTR-Mission-Public-Release

If ya need more help just ask.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

"Paul" Hmmmmm That's an interesting callsign...must be a good story behind it. :smilewink:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

• 3 weeks later...

I happen to have the FA 18 but was thinking the same thing. I bought the Persian Gulf and found it has a bunch of missions. I started w/ a ground mission using gun and rockets. Just me and a bunch of stuff to try to blow up. Then I found a mission that is 1 on 1 w/ an SU 30 w/ guns only so have been flying that for the last few weeks. I use L Shift + R a lot to restart. I am only doing that maybe 50% of the time after a win while the others are after I blew up or at least had to eject. But oh well, it is a ton of fun and it started w/ maybe 25% wins.

You have a good package to start learning the ole thing. This is how you could do it. Y Our choice of the L-39 is a perfect place to start, and this is one has one of the most incredible flight model of DCS.

1. Jump on youtube and learn how to Coldstart it.

2. Use the mission editor and make small mission to take-off and land from airport A and B. Just fly between airports at first and get used to the Air Traffic Control. Do it in various weather/time.

3. When you are comfortable, again check on youtube and learn how to use the Canon & the rockets. Practice until you feel comfortable.

4. Then do the same thing but with the Air Missile. Practice on big planes first (Like the C-130).

5. Practice dog fight against another L-39 ....

6. Then learn to drop bomb last ... this is quite tough to do it right with the L-39. But if you can master this, is is will provide you a big feeling of accomplishment.

When you master all of this and have fun ... then jump in the A10.