How is the Bf109 Module?

Nealius

With a few days left in the Winter sale, I'm thinking about picking up the Bf109 as my first "bad guy" module. I don't do a lot of fighting in warbirds, but I always enjoy leisure flights in the Spitfire and Mustang, so I've been thinking about adding an Axis warbird to my collection. I'm not a fan of the Dora and much prefer the snub-nose 190s, but the DCS A-8 probably won't be out for a while, and that leaves the Bf109. I just don't see many screenshots or videos regarding the Bf109, especially since the 2.5 updates.

So, how is it? Any game-breaking bugs? FM issues? Visual issues? Sound issues?

I've only just picked it up and it's great - any issues I've encountered are tiny and/or cosmetic. The new cockpit is mostly gorgeous & much more realistic than the previous iteration. It's the most involving of the WW2 planes to fly because you're constantly trying to keep it straight, and dog-fighting at low speed requires your full attention.

Also I know you're fond of difficult landings etc so you'll be happy to know that it's a handful getting up and down.

If you do pick it up I'll offer one usability tip - the default view has this built-in 'neck' movement which attempts to position the virtual head so the player automatically sees around the over-head armour plating. It's trying to be helpful but I found it very annoying/disorientating. I cured it by simply moving the head forward an inch or so - done.

Plus they're all getting a new damage model soon so jump in.

Oh yes, I forgot about the new damage models!

Did you move the head point forward via the RShift+RCtrl+num commands?

Yep. It really is only a 'virtual inch' - you'll see what I mean once you hop in and start looking around over your shoulder.

I love the 109, I think it's actually my favorite plane.

It just 'feels' like I expect a warbird to feel.

The 190 seems too heavy and can't turn.

The Mustang stalls of you try to turn inside of the tri-state area.

The spit is a close second to be honest.

The 109's new cockpit is very nice. I've said before that the new textures I'm not especially jazzed about, but it's so easy to mod now that I can make it look however I feel like in a few minutes.

You'll hear people complain about it's ground handling, both that it's too easy, and that it's impossible to control.

You'll hear people complain they 'broke' the sound on 2.5.4.

You'll hear people complain that the new textures don't look good/are too dark etc.

Personally I think it's a great module, and I'm very happy with pretty much everything about it, except I wish I had a little more elevator trim authority. But if that's how the plane really was, so be it.

On the subject of trim, be aware you have to in-flight adjustable roll or yaw trim.

TLDR;

Personally, I can't recommend it enough.

I don't like it. And I don't like the Dora, either.

I can call myself a flight sim veteran with over 35y of experience. I've spent years with the IL-2 series and have god-knows-how-many hours of sim flying on the counter.

But those warbirds in DCS just feel wrong and I think you absolutely need force feedback for decent control. Yes, aproaching a stall or being close to losing control are nicely modeled both visually and by some extra sound effects, but I never managed to fly on the limits without sooner or later snapping the airplane, stall it or do other things which make you lose the fight and your virtual life. Frustrating. Of course you can get around by doing (much) more practice, but for me it's just not worth it. Using my Warthog stick does not work for me at all and my MS Sidewinder 2 is nice for 'copters but not for warbirds.

I've always been a "propeller-dude" but in DCS the jets are the much better choice (IMO, of course). I recommend having a test flight with the 109 before buying.

Ryzen 3700X, 2080ti, 32GB, HP Reverb, Rift S, Thrustmaster Warthog, Crosswind, SFX-100 motion rig :thumbup:

I love the 109, though spitfire is still my favorite, 109 is gaining. 190 I find very difficult at the moment, so heavy and lacking in any agility, though as with the mustang I haven’t had much time in it, so probably have to learn how to swoop in better. Difficult to keep steady in a dive too! Compared to the other sim, I find them all to be much more distinctive moduels and much more realistic simulations. A jetseat, mongoose and VR greatly contribute as well though.

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

MS Sidewinder 2 is nice for 'copters but not for warbirds.

I've got the MSFFB2 and it's an absolute blast to fly the warbirds with it. Yeah I agree that it's more difficult with a regular spring stick, but since you own a force feedback stick why do you feel it's not nice for the warbirds?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I've got the MSFFB2 and it's an absolute blast to fly the warbirds with it. Yeah I agree that it's more difficult with a regular spring stick, but since you own a force feedback stick why do you feel it's not nice for the warbirds?

well, the Thrustmaster Warthog stick is to blame for that. You can't (okay, *I* can't) use the Sidewinder anymore for flying airplanes because it feels like a cheap plastic toy compared to the Warthog. Not really an issue for helicopters because their controls are very different. But as a flight stick....no way :cry:

Ryzen 3700X, 2080ti, 32GB, HP Reverb, Rift S, Thrustmaster Warthog, Crosswind, SFX-100 motion rig :thumbup:

well, the Thrustmaster Warthog stick is to blame for that. You can't (okay, *I* can't) use the Sidewinder anymore for flying airplanes because it feels like a cheap plastic toy compared to the Warthog. Not really an issue for helicopters because their controls are very different. But as a flight stick....no way :cry:

I still don't get it. The FFB2 will still feel like a cheap plastic stick compared to the warthog irrespective of the module you fly it with. It's not like you need all those extra buttons of the Warthog for the warbirds. On the other hand the feel of the flight model itself will be much, much better with the FFB2 stick. But okay, different strokes I guess...

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

The 109 is my absolute favourite in terms of general handling and air combat. It's powerful and agile, and extremely forgiving when you push it to its limits, and gives me the best chance to survive and win. Ground handling is certainly a bit challenging, you have to be focused and understand what you are doing. If you like "comfortable" handling, better fly the pony. That plane was designed for joy-riding.

I fly the FW-190D a lot too. I find it more challenging because it's unforgiving at the limits and it's hard to turn. Still I enjoy battling the Pony with the FW-190 as you have to push it to its limits and score before your engine dies. But I don't even try engaging the Spit with it. Just hopeless.

I like the Spit too, but use it mostly as a target.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I still don't get it. The FFB2 will still feel like a cheap plastic stick compared to the warthog irrespective of the module you fly it with. It's not like you need all those extra buttons of the Warthog for the warbirds. On the other hand the feel of the flight model itself will be much, much better with the FFB2 stick. But okay, different strokes I guess...

Hmm, do you fly any helis in DCS? If so, I'm very surprised that you don't see where the difference is (talking about the joystick, of course).

In a helicopter you're doing veeery subtle movements on the cyclic. I actually often use thumb and index finger only for controlling the stick. No way to fly some hefty dogfight in a warbird like that and that is where the Warthog haptic excels.

A Warthog stick on a force feedback base, that would be lovely :thumbup:

Strange thing is for me I have more trouble taking off in the BF109 than I do landing recently! Toe brakes on my rudder pedals would be nice. Kinda makes me thing eventually I'm gonna have to get the old cross winds. Gotta move house and countries though soon, so can't really commit.

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Well, I bought it. It's a lot of fun to fly but definitely a handful, even compared to the Spitifire. Landings were real easy once I carried over the "dancing on the pedals" principle from the Spit, except instead of dancing with my heels I have to dance with my toes in the 109. Takeoffs took longer to figure out, and I have a lot of trouble pressing rudder and pressing the toe brakes simultaneously: My toes hit the wall behind my pedals and limit my rudder travel when I apply brakes. On takeoff I have to tap my right foot like I'm listening to a fast EDM song to keep the thing centered until rudder authority kicks in.

Cruising is nice with the ground-adjusted trim tabs, but flying at high speed gets confusing as I'll need left rudder during a right turn to keep the ball centered. The auto-govenor on the prop is real nice too--no more fishtailing when I adjust RPM or MP like in the Spit.

Edited by Nealius

If you:

1) Lock the tailwheel after rolling along the runways for a few feet / meter to make sure it aligns with the longitudinal axis;

2) You slowly advance the throttle to no more than 1,2 ATA;

You will not need toe brakes - just rudder.

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

If you:

1) Lock the tailwheel after rolling along the runways for a few feet / meter to make sure it aligns with the longitudinal axis;

2) You slowly advance the throttle to no more than 1,2 ATA;

You will not need toe brakes - just rudder.

I can take off. But not witout some toe brake input. I just find it much easier. My right rudder doesent seem to do anything at all, unless I am going fast enough. It does work sometimes so I guess I just need to practice, but it seems much easier with a little toe brake action tbh!

------------

the rudder in the 109 is astonishingly ineffective.

Also the stick, the ammo.. almost everything :)

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

the rudder in the 109 is astonishingly ineffective.
As well as astonishing small, have you seen it in person? Ridiculously small, the whole aircraft is.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

I regularly take down spitfires with only a few hits with the cannon.

A technique I've started using to counter the 109's lackluster pitch authority to pull out of fast dives is a little cheaty, but it works.

I have the trim bound tpy POV hat, and will try nose high while pulling to get out of the dive. Not really possible with the goofy crank wheel, but, in the words of Travis Haley, if I'm not cheating, I'm not winning.

Yeah.. that's why we all say the trimming is badly implemented in DCS. Those poor bastards would have no chance to save themselves from high speed divings if the trimming was working just like in DCS.

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

awesome airplane = awesome module

but bad visibility in your six due to protective shield

i7-10700KF CPU  3.80GHz - 32 GO Ram - - nVidia RTX 2070 -  SSD Samsung EVO with LG  TV screen 40"  in 3840x2150 -  cockpit scale 1:1

- MS FFB2 Joystick  - COUGAR F16 throttle  - Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals