F-15E?

JazonXD

The following video is footage from the F-16's and F-15E's AN/AAQ-28(V) LITENING targeting pod.

At 2:07 you can also see side by side recordings of the APG-70 Air-to-Air radar mode and air-to-air TGP mode, the latter of which isn't available in the unclassified -34. ;)

Tried cleaning it up alittle. Not much to make out in the air to ground mode. But it looks like he's in a DBS mode with the screen set to "Frozen". It also looks like he has Data-link tracks in air to ground mode.

NjCVjeT.jpg?1

Compared to another video showing what looks like a SAR mode:

PZnhPAW.jpg?1

(from

at ~32 minutes)

EDIT:

Also cleaned up the air to air mode

StvOVlF.png?1

Edited by Beamscanner
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
After flying the Turkey I really really hope that the Beagle will be a Multicrew plane. Playing with my bro while not having to concentrate on everything at once is just super fun, especially since he does not have the equipment to fly

My current understanding is that it will be human multicrewable, but no backseat AI like jester for SP which is a bummer.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

https://razbamsimulations.com/index.php/dcs/f-15e-project

I could not be more excited. Take my money now!

I need it in my veins! :megalol:

I hope this is a sign it is coming soon, because playing multicrew in the F-14 is just amazing, and I cannot wait to do this in the F-15, and some of the upcoming attack helicopters too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

My current understanding is that it will be human multicrewable, but no backseat AI like jester for SP which is a bummer.

I dont doubt this, but could you point to me where this is listed/written? Just so if anyone in my DCS circle asks I can point it out.

I dont doubt this, but could you point to me where this is listed/written? Just so if anyone in my DCS circle asks I can point it out.

Somewhere in the 130 pages of this thread IIRC.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

so yeah seems F15E is basically like the F/A18D or F/A18F in that regard. the Front seater ( pilot) can basically do everything, should hypothetically the WSO not be present at all, operate the aircraft as if it were single seater.

So Its just a matter of sharing/dividing tasks among 2 people to reduce workload.

It's true that in the F-15E the pilot can do most of the A/A and A/G actions without the WSO (not RIO, please!); at the same time the WSO can equally do most of the A/A actions (and fly the jet, too, of course). But the HOTAS and some controls mean that the pilot's controls are optimized for A/A, while the WSOs for A/G. There are some very specialized functions (mainly A/G) that are uniquely available in the pit.

But if before takeoff the pilot reaches into the rear cockpit and turns on the tpod, laser, TEWS, and CMD, then he can do pretty much all by himself. But it gets real busy!

Seriously, there are so many sensors, radios, datalink, and weapons that a two-man crew is essential to really use the jet.

And yes, I know this from many years of direct hands-on experience.

Oh, by the way, those videos are really, really old!

Cheers,

Kirk

It's true that in the F-15E the pilot can do most of the A/A and A/G actions without the WSO (not RIO, please!); at the same time the WSO can equally do most of the A/A actions (and fly the jet, too, of course). But the HOTAS and some controls mean that the pilot's controls are optimized for A/A, while the WSOs for A/G. There are some very specialized functions (mainly A/G) that are uniquely available in the pit.

But if before takeoff the pilot reaches into the rear cockpit and turns on the tpod, laser, TEWS, and CMD, then he can do pretty much all by himself. But it gets real busy!

Seriously, there are so many sensors, radios, datalink, and weapons that a two-man crew is essential to really use the jet.

Cheers,

Kirk

I can go down a list of reasons why you can’t just “reach in the back seat” and turn a few switches before climbing in the front and have everything work but 99.8% of folks won’t have the first clue what I’m talking about.

In short...it isn’t that easy.

Cheers,

Kirk

Laughs in F-18

I can go down a list of reasons why you can’t just “reach in the back seat” and turn a few switches before climbing in the front and have everything work but 99.8% of folks won’t have the first clue what I’m talking about.

In short...it isn’t that easy.

Operationally, yes (not smart to arm the laser or CMD on ground, for example) but physically? No problem at all, you would have to secure the seat and set the command ejection to pilot only, but besides that it's easy. I do it all the time while testing in full up F-15E simulators - don't need no stinkin' WSO!

Same with operating the rear cockpit functions; once airborne (gear up, etc), easy setup the pilot stuff (master mode and master arm, mainly) then jump in the back and do the rest of the mission/testing.

Then there is "pilot catches a canadian goose in the face" scenario: blow down the gear and land from the pit, using the hook and emergency brakes to stop. Easy.

The jet really doesn't care.

Would you go to war that way? Only if you had run out of WSOs!

Kirk

Operationally, yes (not smart to arm the laser or CMD on ground, for example) but physically? No problem at all, you would have to secure the seat and set the command ejection to pilot only, but besides that it's easy. I do it all the time while testing in full up F-15E simulators - don't need no stinkin' WSO!

Same with operating the rear cockpit functions; once airborne (gear up, etc), easy setup the pilot stuff (master mode and master arm, mainly) then jump in the back and do the rest of the mission/testing.

Then there is "pilot catches a canadian goose in the face" scenario: blow down the gear and land from the pit, using the hook and emergency brakes to stop. Easy.

The jet really doesn't care.

Would you go to war that way? Only if you had run out of WSOs!

Kirk

Then the sim doesn’t mirror reality. Good luck skipping STBY on the pod, ICMS, etc. chances are slim of powering up generators and having the jet interface correctly. Recipe for disaster and a lot of failed/starred items on the bit page. Ever seen a real pod fire up without EGI/INS? I have. Doesn’t work out well. It may work in a ‘sim’, it’s not necessarily true to real life. The ‘sim’ jet may not care, the real one does.

A such complex module as the strike eagle, made by razbam, would mean we'll see it finished for the 2030 (maybe). Nothing against razbam, their modules are good, but they are a too small development group to fulfill such an overwhelming task. I'd prefer they do something else (av-8b plus and sea harrier, for example) and leave f-15e to ED.

From the sound of it ED might have some sort of generic multicrew solution like jester (maybe licensed jester?) in the works for the Hind and F4. Hopefully that is something 3rd party devs can use.

Also I wouldn't be the least bit sad to see them change to a F15C...

They said it’s licensed, it’s their own. One of their screenshots they shared consisted of the AI forgot where it is. I think it showed being able to command certain speeds and headings, would be better then no back seater

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

From the sound of it ED might have some sort of generic multicrew solution like jester (maybe licensed jester?) in the works for the Hind and F4. Hopefully that is something 3rd party devs can use.

Also I wouldn't be the least bit sad to see them change to a F15C...

I'd really love an F15C from ED. We would get the holy trinity: hornet, viper, eagle.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

Oh yeah, it would be great to have those three favorites of mine (Hornet, Falcon and Eagle) adequately represented in dcs.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Maybe razbam could do the F-15C (easier and faster to develop) and ED the strike eagle (multicrew, ground radar, etc.)...

...but maybe for now the best thing to do is that razbam focuses on mirage 2000 and av-8b, that are already quite complex to finish, and if they need a boost of money they do something easier (like they have done with mig-19, for example): quicker developing times and more planes for us to fly.

Edited by nessuno0505

Then the sim doesn’t mirror reality. Good luck skipping STBY on the pod, ICMS, etc. chances are slim of powering up generators and having the jet interface correctly. Recipe for disaster and a lot of failed/starred items on the bit page. Ever seen a real pod fire up without EGI/INS? I have. Doesn’t work out well. It may work in a ‘sim’, it’s not necessarily true to real life. The ‘sim’ jet may not care, the real one does.

As I said, not smart operationally. And sure, some systems might complain - but with the newer system (Sniper, etc) may not be as big a problem. Just cause your detail bit page is all lit up doesn't mean you can't fly!

And let's face it, if you really had to do it (your WSO is drunk in a bar somewhere when you evacuate the base) you could start the right engine, get the gens on, then get the crew chief to power up the RCP systems before starting the left.

But you are right of course that no sim totally duplicates all possible system interdependencies - after all, it is simulated (although a lot of the OFPs are actual aircraft OFPs...).

The point is that with everything on and running, you can pretty much control it all from the front (or back) seat, very few systems/controls (other than engine/fuel/lights, etc) are pilot-only.

Cheers,

Kirk

To be fair and reach back to your original post...

“But if before takeoff the pilot reaches into the rear cockpit and turns on the tpod, laser, TEWS, and CMD, then he can do pretty much all by himself. But it gets real busy!”

Is basically a complete falsehood on reality. It is in no way that easy. Following up a with a “know this because of years of hands-on experience” is apparently not true either. A bit of embellishment on your part? A sim is not the real thing, so that doesn’t come across to me as “experience” or qualify on to be a SME. Your opinion obviously may differ.

Sure, I could fire both motors (you’ll be lucky to get avionics power-up to even start due to single engine avionics shutdown), climb back on the canopy sill, and cycle back and forth until all the gizmos are powered up. Not practical, or realistic, and far from “all you need to do is...” as you original post would make it appear. This is how the rumor mills get started and then you get, “well this one guy on the forums said...” and he said he had years of experience with the real things arguments.

Don’t mean to come of as brash, okay maybe a little, but I really get annoyed when folks try to establish credibility that way. Probably the same way some of the flyers feel when sim pilots try to coach them up on dogfighting.

Edited by Rainmaker