A few RIO questions

escaner

Yesterday I tried flying RIO in the F-14 with a friend and had a few issues plus many doubts. I hope someone can help me. I was server for the session:

1. In TWS Manual, every time I fired a Phoenix it changed to TWS Auto. Is this normal?

2. In the previous scenario, if I changed back to TWS Manual and changed the azimuth from narrow to wide, the tracks disappeared (only did it once, didn't want to happen again). Anyone experiencing this too? This was happening to me some time ago changing range, or between TWS and RWS, but I though it was fixed.

3. The manual says: "The launch zone vectors are activated manually by the RIO or when time to maximum launch range is less than 60 seconds and replaces the normal track velocity vectors."

How does the RIO manually activate the launch zone vectors?

4. What exactly means when the contacts flash in TWS?

5. When as RIO I select the TCS view, the pilot radar screen (TID) goes blank. Is this normal?

6. I could not hook my contacts (hafu on top), but I could hook datalinked contacts (bottom hafu). I would say that some time ago I could hook my own radar contacts and then STT with the radar mode button. This cannot be done anymore?

7. Is there a way to move the display to see more airspace behind my own aircraft in the TID, eg my position in the middle of the display? I can move it forward, but not backward with hook + HCU offset.

8. After some time, datalinked and radar contacts seem to appear at different positions, no longer correlated. This is INS drift? Can it be easily fixed?

9. Both times that I talked to our AI F-14 wingman, my pilot's DCS crashed. I think we were not even in the correct frequency, not sure if that matters. Anyone has experienced this? When this happened, my aircraft stopped in the air and I was dumped from it even when I entered the aircraft first. I hoped to pause and wait for him to reconnect, but obviously it was not possible.

Thanks a lot!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1. In TWS Manual, every time I fired a Phoenix it changed to TWS Auto. Is this normal?

Yes, it does that to ensure best target tracking.

2. In the previous scenario, if I changed back to TWS Manual and changed the azimuth from narrow to wide, the tracks disappeared (only did it once, didn't want to happen again). Anyone experiencing this too? This was happening to me some time ago changing range, or between TWS and RWS, but I though it was fixed.

You're not supposed to switch back to TWS manual when the Phoenix is still in the air. Wait untill the missile has either splashed the target or got trashed before switching out of TWS Auto.

3. The manual says: "The launch zone vectors are activated manually by the RIO or when time to maximum launch range is less than 60 seconds and replaces the normal track velocity vectors."

How does the RIO manually activate the launch zone vectors?

On the filter panel just below the TID.

4. What exactly means when the contacts flash in TWS?

It means it's the designated priority target for the Phoenix IIRC.

5. When as RIO I select the TCS view, the pilot radar screen (TID) goes blank. Is this normal?

Yes, as the Pilot's TID display is just a repeater display of the RIOs TID screen.

And btw, the TID is NOT a radar screen! The TID is a tactical information display (similar to the Hornet's SA page). The radar screen is the DDD and only exists in the RIO pit (the display above the TID). The pilot has no radar screen.

6. I could not hook my contacts (hafu on top), but I could hook datalinked contacts (bottom hafu). I would say that some time ago I could hook my own radar contacts and then STT with the radar mode button. This cannot be done anymore?

You can only hook track files, which are provided by DL or TWS. RWS doesn't create track files, hence RWS contacts can't be hooked.

7. Is there a way to move the display to see more airspace behind my own aircraft in the TID, eg my position in the middle of the display? I can move it forward, but not backward with hook + HCU offset.

Yes, switch to GND Stabilized view, switch the HCU to TID mode, keep half trigger pressed, move TID cursor in the opposite direction of where you want to move the displayed area, press full trigger.

8. After some time, datalinked and radar contacts seem to appear at different positions, no longer correlated. This is INS drift? Can it be easily fixed?

Yes, this is INS drift. It can be fixed by a NAV Fix, which can either be done visually, by radar or by TACAN (see manual for more details).

9. Both times that I talked to our AI F-14 wingman, my pilot's DCS crashed. I think we were not even in the correct frequency, not sure if that matters. Anyone has experienced this? When this happened, my aircraft stopped in the air and I was dumped from it even when I entered the aircraft first. I hoped to pause and wait for him to reconnect, but obviously it was not possible.

I've not experienced crashes, but I have experienced missing radio responses when I'm the server host and the RIO at the same time.

Thanks a lot!

You're welcome! I'm happy to see people trying the RIO position, which is one of my favorite things to do in DCS! :joystick:

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Thanks for your thourough reply QuiGon

You're not supposed to switch back to TWS manual when the Phoenix is still in the air. Wait untill the missile has either splashed the target or got trashed before switching out of TWS Auto.

OK. In this case, TWS Auto is supposed to automatically change the azimuth width and bars if necessary (e.g. several missiles on the way with aircraft separating one from the other) or should I still do it?

It means it's the designated priority target for the Phoenix IIRC.

I don't think it is that because actually there can be several flashing contacts at the same time in TWS. I wonder if it means that they have arrived to some range (maximum, optimal, etc.) or that the computer has a valid track to launch or something like that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OK. In this case, TWS Auto is supposed to automatically change the azimuth width and bars if necessary (e.g. several missiles on the way with aircraft separating one from the other) or should I still do it?

In TWS AUTO the AWG-9 takes care of that.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

I don't think it is that because actually there can be several flashing contacts at the same time in TWS. I wonder if it means that they have arrived to some range (maximum, optimal, etc.) or that the computer has a valid track to launch or something like that.

Indeed, that means they're all valid Phoenix targets. At least one flashing target is needed to get a HOT TRIGGER in TWS mode.

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg