Landing in the Bf 109K-4

fjacobsen

.............;-)

nice landing, carrier seems to be at speed, how many knots was it going? any wind to help with?

regards,

RR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

nice landing, carrier seems to be at speed, how many knots was it going? any wind to help with?

regards,

RR

......had the carrier at 10/knts going away and head wind towards me at 10/ms

P-51, 190-D9, 109-K4, Spitfire MK IX, Normandy, and everything else:joystick:

i7 4770K, 4.3ghz, 32gb ram, Windows-10 Pro, Z87 Exstreme4, Corsair 850w psu, Samsung Evo 1T SSD & 250 SSD, Titan-X 12gb OC, Asus ROG Swift 27"/1440p/144hz/1ms monitor, Trackir 5, TM Warthog & 10cm extension, Saitek TPM, MFG crosswind pedals

so it took ca. 54 kph away from your landing speed, fair enough i'd say ;)

does anyone know, how fast WWII carriers were driving when planes landed?

regards,

RR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

I definitely like the tip about full up elevator keeping the aircraft in a straight line after landing. It has made a lot of difference.

Truth be told, I was expecting a far less forgiving take off and landing regime with the K4. I love this module, and apart from trim issues and a few simple bugs, it has arrived in a great state of development if you ask me.

It is natural I guess for the team to get better and better at releasing new additions, and hats off to the whole team at ED. Thanks guys!

I definitely like the tip about full up elevator keeping the aircraft in a straight line after landing. It has made a lot of difference.

Truth be told, I was expecting a far less forgiving take off and landing regime with the K4. I love this module, and apart from trim issues and a few simple bugs, it has arrived in a great state of development if you ask me.

It is natural I guess for the team to get better and better at releasing new additions, and hats off to the whole team at ED. Thanks guys!

Yep, apart from trim issue i can't find anything wrong with t/o and landings.

With some training it is easy as any plane, there is just almost zero margin of error, just like irl pilot reports.

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I managed to get my first successful landing, just kind of flew down the centerline, low over the numbers, then kind of just let it stall/settle on to the deck. It did not require a lot of feathering of the brakes, rolled out leisurely to the end of the runway. Not a scratch. One in twelve tries isn't bad right?

One in twelve is better than my efforts with the first tail draggers here.

I have found I don't need to touch the brakes at all - as long as I have it pointing in the right direction on touchdown, and the touchdown is at a very low sink rate. Just planting a locked tail wheel gives plenty of lateral stability, and it rolls out very tamely.

As soon as I start to weave, down goes a wing. So I'd advise making very sure you have the nose pointed straight down the runway, and hold it off in the flare as long as possible, letting it just sink gently into a 3 point landing. Then pull the stick fully aft to make the tail stick.

I have a huge disadvantage right now though because one of my toe brakes is broken, so I can't feather the brakes properly. I can however land the Bf-109 - most of the time now.

These long, long jet runways in the Crimea are spoiling a lot of people, myself included. I predict many over-flares and wrecked planes at the end of the runway once we get 1944 airfields. ;)

PC - 3900X - Asus Crosshair Hero VIII - NZXT Kraken 63 - 32 GB RAM - 2080ti - SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe - Alienware UW - Windows 10

Sim hardware - Warthog throttle - VKB Gunfighter III - CH Quadrant - Slaw Device Pedals - Obutto R3volution pit - HP Reverb G2 - 2X AuraSound shakers

My takeoff and landing video:

XO_fA7b7MI8

And some tips:

This video shows takeoff and landing in a quick succession. Some tips below, but your way might work better for you.

Takeoff:

- Set trim to 2 (Won't go further)

- Tailwheel locked

- Flaps fully raised

- Governor automatic

- Full throttle

- Only adjust direction with rudder, push stick forward or plane will easily flip

- After takeoff plane will ease pulling the nose up, and you can ease on the stick, carefully

Landing:

- Bleed speed and approach at around 250km/h, 300 max

- Flaps fully lowered

- Open radiator fully to aid bleeding speed

- Approach with throttle fully closed, adjust to speed of around 230km/h if necessary to get above the runway

- Slighty pull stick back to hold an angle to 3-point

- ALWAYS 3-point the landing

- As soon as the plane hits the pavement, full brakes

- Adjust direction with brakes if necessary

My skins/liveries for Fw 190 D-9 and Bf 109 K-4:

My blog or Forums.

Open for requests as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just managed six landings in a row so I think I'm getting the hang of it now, granted, I did bounce a little on some of them and dipped a wing on one but some improvement is better than none :D The key for me was making sure it's a three point landing and crotching the stick immediately to keep the tail down.

My takeoff and landing video:

XO_fA7b7MI8

And some tips:

This video shows takeoff and landing in a quick succession. Some tips below, but your way might work better for you.

Takeoff:

- Set trim to 2 (Won't go further)

- Tailwheel locked

- Flaps fully raised

- Governor automatic

- Full throttle

- Only adjust direction with rudder, push stick forward or plane will easily flip

- After takeoff plane will ease pulling the nose up, and you can ease on the stick, carefully

Landing:

- Bleed speed and approach at around 250km/h, 300 max

- Flaps fully lowered

- Open radiator fully to aid bleeding speed

- Approach with throttle fully closed, adjust to speed of around 230km/h if necessary to get above the runway

- Slighty pull stick back to hold an angle to 3-point

- ALWAYS 3-point the landing

- As soon as the plane hits the pavement, full brakes

- Adjust direction with brakes if necessary

.....very nice....:thumbup:...good tips to remember too:)

i7 4770K, 4.3ghz, 32gb ram, Windows-10 Pro, Z87 Exstreme4, Corsair 850w psu, Samsung Evo 1T SSD & 250 SSD, Titan-X 12gb OC, Asus ROG Swift 27"/1440p/144hz/1ms monitor, Trackir 5, TM Warthog & 10cm extension, Saitek TPM, MFG crosswind pedals

These long, long jet runways in the Crimea are spoiling a lot of people, myself included. I predict many over-flares and wrecked planes at the end of the runway once we get 1944 airfields. ;)

Well, hopefully I'll have fully functioning toe brakes by the time the WW2 airstrips are available. Just another challenge to overcome. Spice of life if you ask me :)

I noticed that, along with full flaps, fully trimming (-6) the elevator for landing helps as well. It requires a lot of pushing the stick forward, but it made my landings a tad better.

Edited by rrohde
Edit: replaced aileron with elevator.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

for landing make sure to use -3 trim as manual indicates

it makes my landings perfect

be ready to use some forward stick also

and don't forget rads fully open and if you want you can set manual prop pitch to 11:30 just to have the power you need in time

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

i use the spokes in the trim wheel to count.....each spoke that's up count 1 etc.

from neutral 3 spokes forward is full nose down

from neutral 13 spokes back is full nose up.......not by manual but works for me

Edited by TwilightZone

My take-off, standard left hand Batumi circuit and landing vid.

jYzD3YRalAs

I mainly agree with JST, some minor edits which work better for me:

Takeoff:

- Full nose heavy trim

- Do not apply brakes, rudder only (tail wheel locked)

- No flaps

- Governor manual at 12:30

- 1.3 - 1.4 ATA (not full throttle, you will not be able to override with rudder)

- Slam on power, not gradual

- Easy on the pitch, be carefull not to stall

- Don't forget to put governor to auto

Landing:

- Idle throttle untill 300kph, gear down

- RPM governor manual at 12:30 (below 350 kp). Prop will work as a speed brake.

- Flaps fully lowered

- I prefer to leave radiator in auto mode

- Approach with throttle 1 inch open (gives you some maneuvering space)

- Lock tail wheel during landing

- Set the craft on the runway in 3-point fashion (160kph), do NOT stall it on the runway

- Feather differential brakes left and right to keep it straight and to slow down

• Like 1

My take-off, standard left hand Batumi circuit and landing vid.

jYzD3YRalAs

I mainly agree with JST, some minor edits which work better for me:

Takeoff:

- Full nose heavy trim

- Do not apply brakes, rudder only (tail wheel locked)

- No flaps

- Governor manual at 12:30

- 1.3 - 1.4 ATA (not full throttle, you will not be able to override with rudder)

- Slam on power, not gradual

- Easy on the pitch, be carefull not to stall

- Don't forget to put governor to auto

Landing:

- Idle throttle untill 300kph, gear down

- RPM governor manual at 12:30 (below 350 kp). Prop will work as a speed brake.

- Flaps fully lowered

- I prefer to leave radiator in auto mode

- Approach with throttle 1 inch open (gives you some maneuvering space)

- Lock tail wheel during landing

- Set the craft on the runway in 3-point fashion (160kph), do NOT stall it on the runway

- Feather differential brakes left and right to keep it straight and to slow down

Great! Now try the same, from Batumi, with a 10m/s crosswind from the left ( port side ). Was it easier to control on takeoff / landing?

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Great! Now try the same, from Batumi, with a 10m/s crosswind from the left ( port side ). Was it easier to control on takeoff / landing?

Haha, challenge accepted! I'll have a go at it after work. Although I don't think any real pilot would attempt to take off in such conditions... I hope I don't break my pedals trying to push the nose to the right. Will be an interesting exercise

Another landing:

Taming the beast joystick.gif

:megalol:

Edited by DB 605

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]