Anyone dialing in takeoffs with regular success with NO takeoff assistance?

rbapon

Hi chaps... not sure if this is the right section.. but here goes!

I had an initial bug with the start up tutorial, but I've managed to teach myself to start the aircraft anyway.

I am having some serious issues with the control balance.

Just after lift off, I experience some serious pitch oscillations, which has nearly written off a few Spits so far.

I've tried setting my control curves as high as 75, but it still happens.

I am really battling to get my controls set up for nice smooth flying....

Also, I realize my weak point is my logitech stick... force 3d pro (dont hate me).

Any tips?

FC3, UH-1, P-51D, Mi-8, A-10C, F-86F, FW 190D9, KA-50, Gazelle, Mig 21, M-2000C, F-5E, Spitfire IX, A/V-8B, F/A-18C, F-14, FW 190A8, F-16C, P-47D

NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Virpil: Warbrd, Alpha-R, Mongoose CM-2 throttle, Warbrd rudder

I have yet to have any issues with taxiing, taking off or landing. I guess it just came naturally!

Here is how I have my dead-zones and curves set up on all axis's

Dead-zone 25 (My 3D pro extreme has served faithfully)

Curves 30

Here is my taxi - takeoff procedure in the DCS Spit (real world results may differ)

Taxi

1. Set elevator trim to one unit nose up

2. Taxi with full back elevator

3. Careful applications of the brakes and try to keep the thing pointed where you want it to go.

Takeoff

1. Full back elevator and full right aileron

2. Advance the throttle to 8lbs of boost while maintaining directional control

3. As speed comes up start bringing the control surfaces to neutral

4. Fly it off of the ground in a three point attitude (or bring the tail up if you like seeing where you are going!)

For landing, I found this video helpful when I first transition into the WWII prop airplanes before I got my 185.

Win10 Pro | i7 7920hq | ASUS ROG Strix RTX2080 | Thrustmaster FCS (Thanks Dojo & The 476th Podcast!)

I'm a low flyer :helpsmilie:

Here's my method.

Watch Wags video (for inspiration).

Turn off crosswind if in T/O mission.

Add pitch curve in settings to reduce sensitivity.

Use RL trim settings: 1 segment down pitch, full right rudder.

Aft elevator, centre aileron.

Advance throttle to 2lbs, release brakes, start rolling, advance to 7 - 9 lbs and tail up as soon as possible.

Elevator to just aft of neutral, keep straight with very slight rudder movements, don't use aileron. Anticipate yaw or you are finished.

Lift off will occur with slight aft stick. Stay level to build speed, raise gear, retrim, increase boost to 12lbs, RPM decrease to 2850, climb away at 180 mph .

If the FM is sound, then the RL trim settings should work and they do.

Now to have a go at landing. :)

Edited by Holbeach

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Quick video from the cockpit with the control indicator enabled. Audio isn't what I wanted but you can see exactly how I do it

Nicely flown. Very helpful.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Thanks Scooternutz, I couldn't do it without assist before this.

Thermaltake Core P90 Tempered Glass//Thermaltake iRGB Plus 1200W//GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER LGA 1151//i9-9900K//Thermaltake CL420 Copper Radiator//Thermaltake W4 Plus//Thermaltake 140mm Radiator Fan Triple Pack//Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M2//SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 500GB //CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB 3200//GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 TI//Logitech G940//Virpil MT50 Throttle//MFG Crosswind rudder pedals//Geko GSeat//Gametrix Jetseat//Htc Vive//Pimax 5k+//Viril VFX//Razer Nari Ultimate

Okay, after much wreckage and very scraped up wing tips the takeoff challenge is being mastered. Now those landings...

Intel Core i7 5820, Gskill 32 GB DDR4 3000, 2X EVGA GTX970 SC in SLI, Crucial 256 SSD, WD 1.5 TB HD, MSI X99A SLI Plus Mobo, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Obutto R3volution with Acer triple monitor setup (5760x1080), Logitech 5.1 Surround Sound, Buttkicker LFE

Makes you wonder why the real POH recommends different settings.

My suggestion to leave things in one place and don't keep changing them has nothing to do with using different settings per se, just recommending you select one setting, and persist with it as it takes one variable out of the mix. My point is, how can you predict how much correction to make unless you know what the base line is?

Use any SINGLE set of curves on any or all axes, be they a curve of 15 on everything, or a curve of 55 on everything. Just don't try 15, then if that fails at first, try 55. If you keep moving the goalposts you'll never hit the back of the net.

Cleared up for you now?

• 1 year later...
This is what I do:

1. Set rudder trim so the word "STBD" is at the 3 O'clock position on the trim wheel.

2. Set the RPM lever about 1 inch back.

3. Set the pitch trim to neutral. Sometimes up one tick. Either or...

4. Taxi forward a bit to ensure the tail wheel is straight. *Very helpful*

5. No flaps.

6. Stick full right. I don't pull it back for takeoff, only for taxiing.

7. Jam the throttle to 3000rpm immediately.

8. Minor rudder adjustments.

9. When I feel the plane start to roll right I gingerly bring the stick to center.

10. Plane lifts off all by itself. Not kidding about this.

11. Maintain positive rate of climb to 140mph.

12. Bring throttle back to operating boost pressures.

13. Raise gear and have fun.

This is what is working for me.

Watch the boost pressure. You will blow the manifold and lock her up.

Landing...I suck at it still.

If anyone wants my curve settings for my Hog just let me know.

Following these steps works beautifully for me in the Caucasus map in DCS 2.5... fairly smooth consistent takeoffs in the Spit, but I can't say the same when using the Nevada map!

The Spit seems to respond very differently for me in that map... pulling very hard to the left, and minor rudder adjustments don't have the same effect... I find myself putting in a ton of right rudder, and letting go makes the plane go hard left. I have managed to takeoff a few times, but things feel very different. If I go back to the Caucaus map, all is good. Pretty sure it is not wind or any kind of weather conditions.

Is it expected for a module to behave radically different between maps?

Edited by Bluemask

Correction: Las Vegas is 2000ft above MSL; other airfields could be higher or lower given the topography.

Either way, the point still stands - lower air density means your controls have to work harder to provide the necessary corrections for torque etc.