Weapon Loadout in the real world

Jimmytime

Just wondering if in a real world scenario why wouldn't you load 3 AGM 65's everytime rather than 1 or 2? I know it would be specific to the mission but loading 1 on a rail seems plain silly. Is it a cost issue or just what's available?

Also... would it be unheard of to load up 6 AGMs and 10 GBU 10's for tank plinking?

What's everyone's prefered weapon mix?

OS: Windows 10 64bit / MB: MSI Gamers Edge /CPU:Intel CORE I5 9600K @ 4.5 GHz/ RAM: 32 GB / Gfx: Geforce 980 GTX TI x2 in SLI /Drives:1 970 NVMe & 2x SSD RAID 0 /Joystick: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog/ TrackIR 5/Saitek Rudder

its not a ridicule or anything. Depending on the warhead weight (ultimately the weight of the missile), you can load one K or G (heavy 300 kg warhead) or upto 3 lightweight H or D on a single LAU-113TER.

Its not unrealistic, but carrying that much missiles (6) demands nothing else loaded rather than a pair or two of GBU-38s.. You'll also want to lower fuel percentage below 100% total weight, and ultimately, balance the load between both wings. I'm seriously considering developing a Quartermaster app for the ipad2 (when I buy it), that will classify each weapon and provide the pilot an opportunity to use the ipad 2 as a data cartridge, which includes the mission plan (as loadout edit)..

Based on my initial findings, the AIM9 X2 equates to the Jamming pod. The TGP is equal in weight to the Rocket launcher LAU68 MK5 X7.

Those are a must have if you want to drop and not have to trim (or lightly trim) the aircraft with each Z markpoint (release)..

Edited by WildBillKelsoe

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

One of the guys I fly with is a weapons guy for A-10s and confirmed that they never fly with three Mavs on a rack anymore, it's always just two (centerline and wing side) exactly for the reason Evil.Bonsai mentioned, it would burn the tires.

On launch the inboard missile fitted to a LAU-88 can/will damage the main wheel. With a TGP fitted the outboard rail on a LAU-88 on the side of the TGP cannot be used, if a missile were fired from that station it would almost certainly cause damage to the pod, and possibly render it useless instantly.

Additionally, you have aircraft weight and drag to consider. Every extra pound of ordnance & fuel reduces your rate of climb, limits your top speed and altitude ceiling as well as reducing your maximum turn rate and general manoeuvrability.

Put simply, you don't carry 6 AGM-65s and 10 GBU-12s for the same reason you wouldn't carry a GPMG, Rifle, Pistol, Grenade Launcher, LMG, Javelin and 20000 rounds of ammunition as an infantryman. Just like you don't add more weaponry to one man, rather you add more men, in the world of military aviation you don't add more weapons you add more aircraft.

And of course the other big reason is that if you did carry 6 Mav, 10 GBU and a full load of ammunition, you'd never find enough targets to use them in the real world.

The heavy loads are tested and cleared for use (in theory) to allow for WWIII, Fulda gap, the entire Warsaw Pact army's coming over the hill type scenario. They are there because it's better to have something you'll never need, than need something you don't have.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

What Eddie said. Try flying with 2 mavs + 4 bombs vs your 'dream payload', and you'll see the difference ... assuming you know better than to fly at 100' altitude all the time.

Not only will all this weight prevent you from easily making yoru way up where the MANPADS don't go, it'll also make it very difficult to evade just about anything that comes up to bite you.

Finally, you're not even likely to use all that ammunition, so what's the point of hauling it around and reducing its useful lifetime? (Of course, that isn't modeled in the game - but if you want realism, 2 mavs + 4 bombs. )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Most mission's i have seen for FC2, BS and A10 have such an amount of targets that they require you to go back home multiple times to rearm in order to complete the mission. (not saying its realistic, just mentioning)

So hauling 6 Mavs + 6 GBU + 2 CBU actually makes sense ingame.

At least, until some (preferably online) missions come around to change that.

For the record, no problems here getting the bird up to 10k to 20k ft whit mentioned payload.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

In OIF/OEF, I've never seen any asset carry mavericks. Maybe it's due to accuracy and warhead yield, never really thought about it. Or perhaps it's because of it's purpose in busting armor/bunkers.

I've only seen A-10's use JDAMs and 500 lb LGBs. Usually one or two of each to increase their loiter time (plus the JTAC may request they conduct yo-yo ops to maximize the amount of time he has a fires asset overhead for his JTAR). Can't remember if they had a rocket pod or not.

One pilot I talked to told me something funny. They never carry 2000 lb bombs because the only way they will unload them is by dropping them...and that's a rare occurrence. I guess arming/dearming an A-10 with a GBU-10/Mk-84 is no easy process.

As for this game, I admit I cheat a little. Since most of my missions don't last much longer than 30-90 minutes, I'll pack on at least four mavs and four or more PGMs. But I'm still learning on how to effectively employ UGMs.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mobo: ASUS Crosshair III Formula / CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE @ 3.4 GHz / RAM: Corsair XMS3 8GB / GPU: HIS Radeon HD 6850

Display: Sony Bravia 32" HDTV / Peripherals: TM Warthog, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, TIR5, Bose A20, Mini fridge w/ Yuengling

Current typical loadout for A-10's in A-stan:

4xGBU-38

Sniper XR targeting pod

7x2.75" WP rockets (not sure if LAU-131 or LAU-68 pod)

8xLUU-19 IR flares in an SUU-25 pod

1100x30mm combat mix for GAU-8

:thumbup: Awesome

I remember one pilot at the 74th saying that they don't use CM. I guess they don't want the DU rounds all over the place.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mobo: ASUS Crosshair III Formula / CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE @ 3.4 GHz / RAM: Corsair XMS3 8GB / GPU: HIS Radeon HD 6850

Display: Sony Bravia 32" HDTV / Peripherals: TM Warthog, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, TIR5, Bose A20, Mini fridge w/ Yuengling

Most mission's i have seen for FC2, BS and A10 have such an amount of targets that they require you to go back home multiple times to rearm in order to complete the mission.

This. It's extremely easy to go through 6 Mavericks trying to get rid of SAMs and AAA, let alone proper armor, and still need to rearm to finish the mission. For example, I was playing Operation Nightmare on the 104th server the other day with 10-15 players from the beginning of the mission. Even after rearming twice, the mission was still not over when I had to leave the server.

The problem is made worse by the current state of the CBU-97/105 which forces more use of PGMs against armor. For what it's worth, my most common online loadout is the one with 4 Mavericks (2 D, 2 H), 2 GBU-38, 2 GBU-12, and rockets as I've found it to be the best balance between total capacity and kill efficiency, as well as standoff capability.

In OIF/OEF, I've never seen any asset carry mavericks. Maybe it's due to accuracy and warhead yield, never really thought about it. Or perhaps it's because of it's purpose in busting armor/bunkers.

One of the Osprey books mentions Navy Hornets using laser guided Mavericks at the end of OIF in urban CAS situations. More to the point, this gallery shows several photos of A-10s with Mavericks in OIF.

Edit: Even more to the point, this post, which is C-model specific. Talk about light loadouts.

Edited by MagnumHB

I don't see comparisons to real world loadouts being relevant in the current single player campaign. The campaigns are combating the Russian armor horde, taking off from bases that are barely 50nm from the front lines. In the real world, I'd be willing to bet the Hogs will be flying heavy, expending vast amounts of ordinance as quickly as possible in target rich environments. Tactics have changed as the threat of the Russian armor horde has evaporated in the real world.

In current theaters, I don't imagine they see many Taliban MBT battalions with supporting mechanized infantry.

I never rearmed in SP campaign missions but they are completed in %100 anyway. I mean since its war you only have to focus your objective. Killing another tank column provided by a far JTAC unrelated to your mission goals is not necessary and unrealistic I think. You are not the only A-10 flying.

Just do your job and get back home. :)

Why need an additional maverick when you have that

Seriously, i hope myself never been in the line of fire.

Edited by Lane

- I7 2600K @5.2ghz ( EK full Nickel waterblock )

- Gigabyte P67A-UD7 B3

- 8GB Predator 2133mhz

- 2x HD7970 - EK Nickel EN H2o block

- 2x Crucial realSSD C300 Raid0

- Black Widow Ultimate - X52 -TrackIR 5

- XIfi Titanium HD

- Win 7 x64Pro

I asked this question to a real a-10 pilot from the 188th and he said it depends on how many planes in the flight, mission, time on station, and if they are flying as fac. He said the sim default load was good minus aim-9

" I'm gonna have to be taking your car today. See I have some top secret clown business that supersedes any plans that you might have for this here vehicle."

• 5 months later...

This seems to be the right topic for my questions:

Does mounting a Mk82 or GBU38 on hardpoint 6(the middle one) ever happen in real life?

I did spot a default payload in the mission editor, but since there is no option to manually add anything but the fuel tank to it, I wonder.

Sense

GBu-38 no, as station 6 is not 1760 compliant. Mk-82s yes, absolutely.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

:thumbup: Awesome

I remember one pilot at the 74th saying that they don't use CM. I guess they don't want the DU rounds all over the place.

That and there's no armor whatsoever to punch through. Mud huts and Hiluxes explode pretty good.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In the old days squadron's out of Europe would fly with 4 mav's and 1150 of Party mix, and they could load all of it, install all the chaff and flare, fuel the jet and do a BPO in 45 minutes. And it was inside a HAS. The modern Air force would never let that happen. Too safety concious. In OIF we flew the occasional mav, an E model or D model. In OEF no mav's, they are available just not used. The LAU-88 is going to basically disapear from the inventory except for the units in Korea. We dont even train to load those anymore (which was NOT fun). Yes, they would only fly with 4 (cause of the tires!). And DRAG, not so much weight is the killer with the -88's. Mav's are not flown in OEF due to drag, and the effects they have on loiter time and range. Also JTAC's love 30mm, -38's and little else. Also gone from normal use is the CBU...pretty much not going to play with any CBU's (-103s and -105s MAYBE!).