Blinking Gunsight

bonesvf103

OK, I'm trying to understand the gunsight in the Tomcat. When I don't have a lock the pipper shows me where the rounds will hit at I dunno 100 ft and the diamond shows where they hit at 2000 ft or so. If I have a lock, then the pipper shows me where the rounds will hit when I pull the trigger and the diamond just designates the target--so with a lock I want the pipper on the target when I pull the trigger.

BUT...what about when I have a lock, then at some point, the whole HUD blinks. My pipper seems to disappear when that happens and so when should I shoot? I don't get what the manual is saying, can someone explain it better to me?

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

Look at the manual page 313 it says:

In addition to computing the solution to put bullets at the targets location the RTGS sight will also calculate where

the bullets actually are in relation to the target when at target range. When the bullets fired are computed to be at the

target’s location the diamond switches from target indication to indicating bullet position at target range (BATR). This

is also indicated by the diamond flashing.

Using this symbology it’s possible to see where the target would have needed to be to be hit by the bullets. If the

gun engagement was executed successfully this means that the diamond should still be on top of the target, blinking,

indicating that the bullets passed through the target’s location.

Yes, I read that over and over and it's just not making sense so I was hoping someone could explain it in more plain English.

For instance, what is "in relation to the target when at range?" What does that even mean? At the current range to the target in that instant? When the diamond flashes, do I need to maneuver it onto the target instead of the pipper?

The explanation is confusing to me.

Thanks.

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

Yes, I read that over and over and it's just not making sense so I was hoping someone could explain it in more plain English.

For instance, what is "in relation to the target when at range?" What does that even mean? At the current range to the target in that instant? When the diamond flashes, do I need to maneuver it onto the target instead of the pipper?

'If the gun engagement was executed successfully this means that the diamond should still be on top of the target, blinking, indicating that the bullets passed through the target’s location

:thumbup:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'If the gun engagement was executed successfully this means that the diamond should still be on top of the target, blinking, indicating that the bullets passed through the target’s location

Yes, yet there are times when I fire when the pipper is on the target, nothing is blinking, and I hit it successfully. So what is the purpose of the blinking one then?

v6,

boNes

The blinking diamond is a way of telling you how far off your aim was.

Interesting...do explain.

v6,

boNes

Hmmmm, this seems explain the blinking with several head-on occasion with Mig-28s :thumbup:

Been wondering wtf is that for some while.

Interesting...do explain.

v6,

boNes

The pipper is always acting as a real time gun sight, it's telling you where your rounds will land at the target's current range (assuming you have radar lock) if you pull the trigger now. The blinking diamond tells you where those rounds actually went at the target's current range. The difference between the solid diamond and blinking diamond is how far off your aim was for that shot.

In pistol/rifle terms, the solid diamond on target is your bullseye, the blinking diamond is the hole in the paper. You still aim using your sights, not the hole.

• Like 1

The pipper is always acting as a real time gun sight, it's telling you where your rounds will land at the target's current range (assuming you have radar lock) if you pull the trigger now. The blinking diamond tells you where those rounds actually went at the target's current range. The difference between the solid diamond and blinking diamond is how far off your aim was for that shot.

In pistol/rifle terms, the solid diamond on target is your bullseye, the blinking diamond is the hole in the paper. You still aim using your sights, not the hole.

Now THIS is the best explanation I've seen on this. Thank you! I tried it out with what you said in mind and it was amazing.

This is why I was asking for another explanation other than the manual's that I was reading over and over. Sometimes things have to be explained in a different way to different people. I really appreciate it.

v6,

boNes

• Like 1

nothing feels better than getting on their six and watching that pipper slide soooooo smooth towards them. brrt.

Agreed ;)....these days I just try to place the pipper over the pilots head! :music_whistling:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]