Is the Ka-50 still in service?

alexkon3

I have found some sources claiming that they are still in service and others like the World Airforces 2019 from Air Global dont mention them at all. The Russians opted for the Mi-28 but are the few produced Ka-50 still in service?

Any help regarding this would be great!

Cheers

So when has the last one been put out of service? And what happened to the Ka-50s? Have they all been scrapped or are they parked in a depot (in what condition?)?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Afaik they're still flying to some limited extent, but it's difficult to confirm since it seems 90% of stuff I'm seeing don't distinguish between the 50 and 52 for some reason. I think it's just airshows and secondline stuff, though. They last saw action in the Chechnya wars back in the 90s, but unsure what happened after that.

For comparison, there are about a dozen 50s and 30-40 52s, so they are a sizable portion of the fleet. If they're still flying antiquated Hind variants, I don't see why they wouldn't also be flying the Ka-50 if they still have the parts to keep them in the air.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

That's exactly the problem with the Ka-50. Some say it's still active, some say it isn't...

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

The low numbers built alone preclude any realistic expectation of any being in operational service .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Google Translate

… A lot of them are in semi-storage with rotors and tails removed last time I checked.

All the Ka-50s that were produced and were not crashed, all are in storage. The rest of the Ka-50s that were not completed, all redone in the Ka-52s.

List of the Ka-50 (in Russian).

231074.jpg

V-80 No.012 (1985 maiden flight). 2018 photo, the Mil Moscow Helicopter Plant. Planned installation in the form of a monument to the JSC Kamov.

183142.jpg

Ka-50Sh No.18 (1991 maiden flight, 1997 as the Ka-50Sh). 2016 photo, the Flight-Test Complex in Zhulebino (Moscow City).

211197.jpg

Ka-50 No.21 (1994 maiden flight), No.50 as a monument. 2017 photo, the monument in Arsenyev City (the Progress Helicopter Factory is located there).

175520.jpg

Ka-50 No.25 (1990 maiden flight). 2015 photo, the 929th State flight testing center (Akhtubinsk City).

166929.jpg

Ka-50 No.27 (2009 maiden flight). 2014 photo, the 344th Army Aviation Centre of aircrews combat training and transition (Torzhok City).

Sorry, I don't speak English, so I use Google Translate.

Based on what I have read:

The plan had been for the lead a/c of each flight to be a 52 and the numbers made up of the 50, but this was conceived during the Cold War and loosely carried into the 90s along the same lines as the basic Fulcrum with a single Flanker or Foxhound lead in the old soviet doctrine of combating more expensive and complicated NATO birds like the composite/honeycombs with sheer numbers and only slightly diminished capability, making it up with a more advanced lead bird and datalink.

This entire philosophy has shifted in the RF, it is no longer the tactical doctrine, they lost most of the industrial satellites of the soviet era. Cheap/simple build Fulcrums are now an obsolete concept compared to a far more expensive newer variant in smaller numbers and similarly the 52 is more capable than the 50, the entirely new Russian game now is no longer a numbers game. Still got serious economic issues so replacing lineups is more complete on paper than in the field, but the doctrine has changed completely. They no longer think in terms of using satellite industry and Ukraine as a buffer.

All the Ka-50s that were produced and were not crashed, all are in storage. The rest of the Ka-50s that were not completed, all redone in the Ka-52s.

List of the Ka-50 (in Russian).

Very interesting, thanks! Are any of them still flight worthy?

Tornado3 small.jpg

Google Translate

Very interesting, thanks! Are any of them still flight worthy?

Unlikely. Although one of the last Ka-50 No.27, which was produced in 2009, was seen in rather good condition at the Helicopter Museum of the 344th Army Aviation Centre of aircrews combat training and transition in Torzhok City at the end of June this year.

Original in Russian

Вряд ли. Хотя один из последних Ка-50 №27, которые были произведены в 2009 году, в конце июня этого года видели в довольно приличном состоянии в Музее вертолётов 344-го центра боевого применения и переучивания лётного состава в г.Торжке.

Unlikely. Although one of the last Ka-50 No.27, which was produced in 2009, was seen in rather good condition at the Helicopter Museum of the 344th Army Aviation Centre of aircrews combat training and transition in Torzhok City at the end of June this year.

That's kinda sad to hear. I hoped there might be one or two of them that still get airborne occasionally for whatever reason. Also this is a very short time of active service for this particular one :(

Tornado3 small.jpg

....2009? They were still building them that late??? That's surprising

That made me wonder as well.

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
I think I remember seeing a KA-50 flying along KA-52's and Mi-28's in a half-recent RT Documentary.

half-recent?

Tornado3 small.jpg

Google Translate

The latest news (in Russian) about flying Ka-50s from the 344th Army Aviation Centre of aircrews combat training and transition (Torzhok City), dated 2012.

MK;1520445']
Печальная новость для поклонников Ка-50: один из офицеров сказал' date=' что исправных машин на данный момент ни одной нет (вроде последняя "Акула" пару месяцев назад летала) и чинить их может быть уже и не будут, ибо полеты на них все равно были факультативом, сейчас все на Ми-35, Ми-28Н и Ка-52 тренируются.[/quote']

http://twower.livejournal.com/845821.html