F-14 Release Date Discussion Thread

zhujiammy

I came here as I saw the
today (or yesterday) flown by Graywolf and Grimes, and was sure that we´ll have a release date now...but noooo...still nothings.

VFAT was today (Sunday 12/9) and I was hoping for a release date as well. Oh well, still wishing for a Christmas miracle.

The VFAT Tomcat demonstration was incredible though. Very well done and authentic as well as an impressive display of piloting skills. Great job guys!

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VFAT demo was incredible. I understand the desire for working out all the bugs in every system before beta release, but I'm going to be happy for months just trucking around on aerobatics online with this thing. I would be happy with the in progress version from last year :)

Crossing my fingers for pre-Christmas, but would probably be better for the family if it comes in January.

Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house

Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.

The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,

In hopes that St Nicholas soon would be there.

The pilots were nestled all snug in their beds,

While visions of F-14’s danced in their heads.

And Heatblur in their ‘kerchief, and I in my cap,

Had just settled down for a long winter's nap.

When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,

I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.

Away to the window I flew like a flash,

Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash.

The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow

Gave the lustre of mid-day to objects below.

When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,

But an F-14 Tomcat A & B.

latest?cb=20151224105524

An instant Christmas classic...I now have a new bedtime story!

Perhaps the last bit should be:

But an AIM-54 Phoenix missile heading straight for my rear! :D

Perhaps the last bit should be:

But an AIM-54 Phoenix missile heading straight for my rear! :D

The last line should be

*The F-14 Tomcat is final hear.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Will F14 be released before Christmas?

I sympathise. I can't wait either.

As I dare say the previous 6 pages may highlight the current rumour is 21st Dec, but that is just a rumour.

For my part, I think some time early in the new year (possibly even 1st jan).

My theory is that while the 21st would be a great time to release in terms of catching people for Christmas and people having a good amount of time spare to buy/download/install/set up/learn to fly the Cat I don't think (personal view) this is what heatblur will do.

I think Heatblur (based on their commitment to excellence and the sheer hype behind this module) will not want to have a week or so of time when the aircraft is released but (with all the good will in the world) the inevitable bugs arrive but not have your team in place (being holiday season) to immediately start bug squashing. To say nothing of 'what if something really goes wrong' (like the downloader fails or people can't get it working en masse) and they can't fix it for several days over Xmas - they wouldn't want that to ruin it for everyone.

From a business position (assuming it could release by 21st) I would hold release until the 1st/2nd/3rd Jan and then have my team in place (and rested) to start bug squashing as soon as the feedback comes in.

I guess the only other window for release (assuming my line of logic is accurate) would be some time between now and Monday- which seems very unlikely.

Either way I am sure it will be great and probably won't be that much longer. Quite frankly, I'd take it now, bugs or no bugs as I am sure a lot of people would.

Happy hoping!

Edited by Sharpe_95

Will F14 be released before Christmas?

OP, I have a suggestion: do you think it might be a good idea to change this title to "F14 Release Hype Thread? Seems to be where it's going...

EDIT: I wasn't suggesting this thread or any of the posts it contains are OT. Was more a suggestion of where this thread could go, rather than ending at the point that the F-14 is realeased.

Also, my two cents on F-14 release date:

I think the decider - assuming the decision isn't already made - might be what's missing. If there are some aspects of features that won't be quite right, hopefully Heatblur will put the perfectionism on hold and give us what they've got so far.

If there are key aspects of the module missing I don't think they would them release it. I fear that this might be the case since they felt the need to dub the audio in the VFAT demo.

I really want this bird to be the partridge in my pear tree, but not at the expense of Heatblur's reputation.

Edited by Horns
Clarified title change suggestion

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

Dubbing the audio is common. We've already heard the Tomcat sounds in game as a WIP video a while back, and the other livestream. The audio was dubbed for the Hornet if you remember when it did the RCAF demo before it was released.

I have a feeling it's more of the RIO pit that's giving them fits. Since we have yet to see detailed pictures/videos of it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Matt "IceFire" Schuette

Commander In Chief United States Atlantic Command

Virtual Carrier Air Wing Eleven

Dubbing the audio is common. We've already heard the Tomcat sounds in game as a WIP video a while back, and the other livestream. The audio was dubbed for the Hornet if you remember when it did the RCAF demo before it was released.

I have a feeling it's more of the RIO pit that's giving them fits. Since we have yet to see detailed pictures/videos of it.

True, both that dubbing the sound is common and that we've heard the WIP sound fx already. Just pointing out that Nick's stated reason suggests he doesn't think the sound fx are ready yet,

I do agree that the RIO pit not being shown at all is a greater concern. HB might release with rough sound, but no chance they could release it without a functioning RIO pit. Although, if all the coding is done and all of the Jester voice acting and AI is done too, we could probably get by over Xmas/New Year with Jester as a designated RIO :D

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

Yeah it ain’t happening this year folks. I’ve said it before but we’re just having a repeat of last year. While I’d love for HB to make me eat my words. Seems like any timeframe they put on something the Tomcat blows it away. Remember the many videos they have in the pipeline? If they’re so busy with work that any time devoted to videos is a detriment to the module then we’re not seeing it until Q2 2019. But I say once again I would love to eat my words on this. But my guts tells me otherwise.

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

Honestly this is all speculation...who knows when it will drop. Videos certainly don't detract from development and are part of the normal development cycle. I hope it comes sooner than later but there's no doubt HB is doing a top notch job on this thing and it will be very special upon release;)

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

According to who, a couple of people lol?

ED has released one aircraft module as early access and they never told us there was a specific time frame for finishing it. I don't understand how they got a reputation for releasing incomplete aircraft modules by releasing only one.

ED and Razbam stated clearly what you were getting in early access, so it's your fault if you feel deceived.

I'm happy ED and Razbam release aircraft as early access and I hope ED does the same with the F-16C as well. I'm actually able to learn the aircraft fully this way, instead of being overwhelmed with a massive amount of information to process.

In order to stay on topic, I wish we did have some quick update on it.

+1

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

Some kind of "sorry, not going happen" would be nice. Any update at all really.

Agree...the silence and lack of any information at all is a little disturbing. I (many others on here too) did buy it over two months ago now...

I know that a release could be as late as March 20, 2019 but I was hoping at least for some updates, previews of features, the manual, etc...until then.

Edited by =BJM=

Some tweaks:

'Twas the night before Christmas, in the virtual hangar

Not a creature was stirring, not even a maintainer.

The planes were all parked by AI with care,

In hopes that St Nick Dackard soon would be there.

The pilots were nestled all snug in their racks,

With visions of Tomcats fighting cruise missile attacks.

But I with my HOTAS, had donned my trackhat,

My Hornet just settled on number 4 cat.

When from minimized programs a pop-up arose,

I alt-tabbed to windows to find the new post.

To the Firefox window with no time to think,

I checked "accept cookies" and clicked on the link.

Only a logo in front of my face.

As the scrubber progressed just ominous bass.

When, what came after intro with Meteor song,

But the F-14 Tomcat, for which we've waited so long.

To be entirely honest, I think manual release in January, and early access in Feb is likely. Though I still say I'd have taken the chromecat from a year ago just for the fun of flying it, I think it's prudent of them to make sure they are comfortable closing any major open issues and having a solid module with few bugs on release. They also need time to get ready for the holidays, not just celebrate them. Not sure about you guys, but we just spent tonight getting a tree, then there's the decorating, getting the place ready for family to visit, wrapping presents for the wife and kids, and oh yeah, finishing all that regular work stuff that gets crammed in around this time.

I have been waiting decades for something like this, but if it means a (more) relaxing time with family for this holiday season for us and the devs, I vote to let it slide to 2019.

Edited by Dino Might

Some tweaks:

To be entirely honest, I think manual release in January, and early access in Feb is likely. Though I still say I'd have taken the chromecat from a year ago just for the fun of flying it, I think it's prudent of them to make sure they are comfortable closing any major open issues and having a solid module with few bugs on release. They also need time to get ready for the holidays, not just celebrate them. Not sure about you guys, but we just spent tonight getting a tree, then there's the decorating, getting the place ready for family to visit, wrapping presents for the wife and kids, and oh yeah, finishing all that regular work stuff that gets crammed in around this time.

I have been waiting decades for something like this, but if it means a (more) relaxing time with family for this holiday season for us and the devs, I vote to let it slide to 2019.

You make a good point about them needing time other than the holiday days themselves. I also wondered whether HB could (or should) trust themselves to not wind up bug squashing if they did release an F-14 which they felt wasn't really ready for the light of day.

I guess in the end this is all speculation, I'm sure we'll wind up with a great product whenever we get it.

Some tweaks:

'Twas the night before Christmas, in the virtual hangar

Not a creature was stirring, not even a maintainer.

The planes were all parked by AI with care,

In hopes that St Nick Dackard soon would be there.

The pilots were nestled all snug in their racks,

With visions of Tomcats fighting cruise missile attacks.

But I with my HOTAS, had donned my trackhat,

My Hornet just settled on number 4 cat.

When from minimized programs a pop-up arose,

I alt-tabbed to windows to find the new post.

To the Firefox window with no time to think,

I checked "accept cookies" and clicked on the link.

Only a logo in front of my face.

As the scrubber progressed just ominous bass.

When, what came after intro with Meteor song,

But the F-14 Tomcat, for which we've waited so long.

I like it :)

As it is that time of year, I enjoy the excitement in reading posts about F-14's, HARM missiles, etc. It is the same excitement this time of year brings to most people.

On the other hand, I don't mind waiting till whenever stuff is ready. I have some experience coding and understand it takes time and patience to get things just perfect. I like how ED and most of its 3rd party developers do things.

On that note, I still like the hype. Its fun to read.