Significant reduction in rudder required on takeoff ?

TheSkipjack95

I hadn't flown the yak in a while, but with the last few patches, I noticed that the rudder required to takeoff was almost nil, barely a nudge on the pedals will make the plane straight.

So much so I could takeoff using my laptop keyboard via Teamviewer.

Is this a realism/realistic change, or a mistake/oversight ? I checked and no assistance whatsoever is turned on in the options.

Well that's interesting, as you can see everything is ticked off/set to 0 in the options, but I still see the rudder axis being moved without my input (all controls are disconnected)

Looks like automatic rudder is on regardless of what you set in the options.

nXFe8y7.pngEjihSd7.png

Why on earth would anyone select game mode.

Because I read already a few times that for some reason game mode is automatically selected after an update.

Since you don't have takeoff assistance or auto rudder on, and e.g. I don't have this problem, I don't think that this question is unreasonable.

And you are sure that the rudder moves on its own during the flight and not only at the initial stage of the takeoff run due to the propwash?

Edited by bbrz

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

Well that's interesting, as you can see everything is ticked off/set to 0 in the options, but I still see the rudder axis being moved without my input (all controls are disconnected)

Looks like automatic rudder is on regardless of what you set in the options.

Are you playing online?

The mission maker sets this option in his mission. If he enabled it, then it is enabled for all clients, regardless of their setting.

If single player, open your mission again and just save it.

Fox

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

Because I read already a few times that for some reason game mode is automatically selected after an update.

Since you don't have takeoff assistance or auto rudder on, and e.g. I don't have this problem, I don't think that this question is unreasonable.

And you are sure that the rudder moves on its own during the flight and not only at the initial stage of the takeoff run due to the propwash?

I thought that might be the case, but on take-off it starts centered and acts like autorudder.

I'll double check for game mode, but shouldn't there be the radar screen thing on the screen as well?

game mode is automatically selected after an update.

After patching DCS you mean? :huh: Have never seen this happen. The sim has always kept my settings from version to version.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

• 2 weeks later...
I have this problem since the release day, I try to go straight but the plane turn left because of the rudder, I ask for a fix nearly one year ago but no words from the developers.

Actually I think that's the right behaviour and the OP is currently asking for the absence of this rudder needs.

Actually I think that's the right behaviour and the OP is currently asking for the absence of this rudder needs.

Yep, on release and up until a few weeks ago, the Yak needed what seemed like a normal bootful of rudder to counter the right turning tendencies, and the rudder behaviour generally made sense.

After the last couple updates though, the rudder seems to have a mind of its own, somewhat attempting to counter the torque on takeoff, and then staying just left of centre for the rest of the flight.

I know the trim tab system (the one for the ground adjustable trim tabs) is still WIP, so I thought it might be that, but I don't know, hence this thread.

• ED Team

Just to check you are using sim and not game mode correct?

I just tested my yak, seems ok for me.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hmm this is indeed a strange one. I Tested it now and i can takeoff without using rudder. A slight right turn att full power but then the control indicator auto trims to the left and it straightens out by itself. I Did check that none of the help boxes was ticked multiple times. I tried to activate auto rudder in the Yak misc menu, and got the exact same result as without it. Yaw indicator stays trimmed to the left during the whole climb out and even at cruise. Feeling like something has "stuck" in the settings.

And there is no elevator and roll trim bei;g automatically applied?

No. Flies as it used to in normal flight. That means slight right rudder to keep coordinated in cruise. But control indicator shows constant left applied rudder regardless of speed and power applied. Other aircraft are fine.

Doesn't look like a bug to me. Applying full power you need to apply quite a bit a left rudder to keep her straight, as expected.

With increasing speed the rudder trim tab starts to take effect and pushes the rudder a bit to the left, which decreases the need to manually apply left rudder.

At higher speeds in the takeoff run you don't need to apply any rudder at all and if you accelerate further you need to apply right rudder.

Except for the intitial trim tab & prop wash caused rudder movement, I don't notice any movement on its own at all.

The only bug seems to be the adjustable trim tab in the menu that still has no effect.

Doesn't look like a bug to me. Applying full power you need to apply quite a bit a left rudder to keep her straight, as expected.

With increasing speed the rudder trim tab starts to take effect and pushes the rudder a bit to the left, which decreases the need to manually apply left rudder.

At higher speeds in the takeoff run you don't need to apply any rudder at all and if you accelerate further you need to apply right rudder.

Except for the intitial trim tab & prop wash caused rudder movement, I don't notice any movement on its own at all.

The only bug seems to be the adjustable trim tab in the menu that still has no effect.

To my knowledge, trim tabs still have no effect in DCS, and even if they did, I had very bizarre behaviour even with the engine off.

To my knowledge, trim tabs still have no effect in DCS, and even if they did, I had very bizarre behaviour even with the engine off.

That's what I've wrote about the trim tabs, but I'm not seeing anything even remotely similar to you rudder movement and it's not clear to me what you are doing or trying to prove.

That's what I've wrote about the trim tabs, but I'm not seeing anything even remotely similar to you rudder movement and it's not clear to me what you are doing or trying to prove.

All I'm trying to prove is that my Yak 52 has an essentially broken rudder for me when the only sin I committed is updating my game.