AoA probe not moving

P3CFE

Small stuff for this incredible detailed module..i know :music_whistling:

But the Angle of attack probe is not moving, by wind on the ground, or during flight.

It remains faired all the time.

This has happend before, ..was fixed... ,and now the bug it is Back.

Just notifying my remarks.

Hope it wil be fixed tomorrow...:smartass:

Regards,

John

• 1 month later...

Did I offend somebody with this thread ???

So quiet.., no reply what so ever....

this is not the way a forum should work in my opinion..!

But back to the objective side...!

Is this gripe acknowledged ?, and is there something happening to correct this error..?

Thanks for an answer..

cheers

When flying the Hog I'm in cockpit-view most of the time. Never noticed the "problem" with the AoA probe.

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

Confirmed, the AoA vane doesn't move. But it's so tiny that it's interesting that someone did notice this animation glitch.

That said, how should it be moved by the wind ? Usually they are parallel to the ground if the airplane isn't moving at an exceptionally high speed on ground.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

Confirmed, the AoA vane doesn't move. But it's so tiny that it's interesting that someone did notice this animation glitch.

That said, how should it be moved by the wind ? Usually they are parallel to the ground if the airplane isn't moving at an exceptionally high speed on ground.

The AoA vane isn't affected by the wind while on the ground very often, I think in all my years on the flightline I've only see it blown up or down when a strong storm rolls through.

The AoA vane isn't affected by the wind while on the ground very often, I think in all my years on the flightline I've only see it blown up or down when a strong storm rolls through.

Oke, I'm not that familiar with the vane system and I believe you if it is not moving that much on the ground.

I know that with the F16 the AoA probe can easily be rotated by hand.. no friction what so ever.

It should freely move to get accurate AoA information all the time.

The point is, that it used to work perfectly in DCS, and I was amazed by the level of detail DCS offers.

It is also a fact, in DCS at this moment, that if you got Elec power on the aircraft, you can see the angle AoA indicator needle move up and down on the ground with wind fluctuations.

The needle got its input from a moving vane, and this used to move in sync..with the needle.

I thought it was a great and precise eye for detail and realism.

So why is it not like that anymore ?

I know that with the F16 the AoA probe can easily be rotated by hand.. no friction what so ever.It should freely move to get accurate AoA information all the time.

It is also a fact, in DCS at this moment, that if you got Elec power on the aircraft, you can see the angle AoA indicator needle move up and down on the ground with wind fluctuations

? The F-16 has a probe type AoA and no AoA vane that moves.

An AoA vane moves freely with very little friction, but if would have no friction it would be hanging straight down. It would make no sense if the AoA would indicate a 90deg AoA on ground.

Just tested. steady 20kt wind, no turbulence, static airplane and the AoA gauge fluctuates between 0 and 20 units...that's definitely not realistic.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

? but if would have no friction it would be hanging straight down. It would make no sense if the AoA would indicate a 90deg AoA on ground.

I think (but am not sure) that the vane is weight balanced ..neutral.

If it would be effected by weight, g loads would effect the deflection en must than be corrected by computers or so.

The most simple and errorfree construction would be balancing the vane.

It then remains in position until you turn it into an other position by hand or by an airflow force.

It wil not be influenced by g loads then.

So even if there was no friction it would remain in position until disturbed mechanically or Aerodynamically.

There doesn't seem to be much freely available info about the aoa sensor, but I've been reading it's spring centered, could be different on other types though.

Intel i5-9600k - Asus TUF Z390 - 32GB DDR4 corsair - Gigabyte RTX 2070 - Seasonic 620W - SSD Crucial, HDD Seagate

Why should there be any reason to center it? It is centered by the airstream as soon as the aircraft moves fast enough so that AoA becomes relevant. It basically is a little wing (or a cone) hinged to a potentiometer. These probes are the same on every aircraft, they move freely with little resistance, are most certainly not centered by springs or anything because it makes no sense, the vane type is balanced.

And you should keep in mind that the probe does not move in flight, the aircraft moves around it while it remains steady in the relative wind. That is how AoA sensing works.

Little anectode: The Eurofighter has a more sophisticated systems consisting of four transducers mounted under the nose. They work the same way, but there are problems if two aircraft taxi too close to one another and the probes get caught in the jet blast. They can be pushed to extreme angles and get stuck, which of course results in a ground abort.