DCS: de Havilland DH.98 Mosquito FB Mk VI Discussion

msalama

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm pumped for the mosquito. Its such a cool and iconic plane and will be the first twin engine propeller plane in DCS. Its very fast for a twin engine aircraft and could carry a good amount of ordnance. It will be so much fun especially if it gets multi crew.

I'm pumped for the mosquito. Its such a cool and iconic plane and will be the first twin engine propeller plane in DCS. Its very fast for a twin engine aircraft and could carry a good amount of ordnance. It will be so much fun especially if it gets multi crew.

It's very fast for any propellor aircraft of the time! but yes, what an amazing piece of engineering, and as always with great British things very nearly didn't happen thanks to The Authorities. I guess to be fair to them it is a pretty unlikely concept & there were a *lot* of wacky ideas to filter out during the war.

Being one of my fav planes ever, also pumped. Might go dig up the original IL-2 again just to fly one to pass the time...

nothing sounds better than a merlin than two of them

Perhaps four? a Lancaster is quite a thing to hear flying around, I can't imagine what hundreds of them in the sky at once sounded like...

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

I'm still wondering how you guys want to fly this thing with only two throttle levers. In the Spitfire and P-51 you already need 2 levers to operate the Merlins.

What will you do when you have 2 Merlins in the same aircraft?

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Only use one lever in both.

RPM are on un up/down control (like in Bf 109) for me so I'm fine :)

But I hope There will be the possibility to select/deselect engine and have an axis to control all the selected engine. (Or ask thrustmaster to make a Grip and a throttle for warbirds ^^ )

I'm still wondering how you guys want to fly this thing with only two throttle levers. In the Spitfire and P-51 you already need 2 levers to operate the Merlins.

What will you do when you have 2 Merlins in the same aircraft?

I have G940 Throttles additionally to the Warthog Hotas here. So no problem :lol:

Fox

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

you already need 2 levers to operate the Merlins

Nope.

A HOTAS lever controls the throttle as IRL and 2 JS buttons control RPM up and down. So with the Mossie, just bind both throttles to a lever and use modifier buttons to control each engine separately when necessary. And likewise with the revs, i.e. the buttons control both by default, and each one separately when an additional modifier button is pressed and held.

This is how I do it, and by and large, it works great.

Edited by msalama

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Yick, using buttons (what are JS buttons anyway?) for axiis :hmm:

Of course I'll do that in a pinch too, but I'm already thinking about other solutions. After all, if the Mossi goes over well, can the P-38, BF-110, IL2, Beaufighter, B-25, A-20 be so far behind? ;)

There is a Finnish company (Kanttorin Kone) that used to offer semi-custom built units with one option being 4 levers, but they don't seem to have that option anymore :cry:

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Of course I'll do that in a pinch too, but I'm already thinking about other solutions. After all, if the Mossi goes over well, can the P-38, BF-110, IL2, Beaufighter, B-25, A-20 be so far behind?:

You're covered for the IL-2, it's single engined :) ( I suspect you were thinking of the Pe-2 ). I'd not turn down any of the others, although I can skip the P-38.

Modifiers to split a stick so to speak would seem a great idea - can we please get a nice choice of bindings? including toggles and proper three way switches if needed, they're still missing far too often. Not having the individual axis reset after you go back to the combined stick would also be great.

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

Im so hyped for the mosquito, cant wait to see what ordanance we get, i suspect there may be a lot of wrecks on airfields near us soon :P twin merlins will be awesome as will quad cannons and mgs hehehe, not sure if imma boom and zoom with it or if i'll go low level ground attack.

anyone wanna fly with when it eventually reaches us?

(what are JS buttons anyway?)

Joystick buttons commonly found on every stick out there. And yes, it's a well working solution, unless you want to cough up some serious £/$/€ for a throttle quadrant. I know I won't, unless I happen to find a second hand unit in good condition.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

• 2 weeks later...
Im so hyped for the mosquito, cant wait to see what ordanance we get, i suspect there may be a lot of wrecks on airfields near us soon :P twin merlins will be awesome as will quad cannons and mgs hehehe, not sure if imma boom and zoom with it or if i'll go low level ground attack.

anyone wanna fly with when it eventually reaches us?

My squad are always looking to recruit fellow Brits to fly with in WW2 servers.

It's very fast for any propellor aircraft of the time!

The key phrase is “of its time”.

The FB.VI is a mid 1943 plane. It will go up against 109K4 and 190D9 that are late 1944 planes. By that time the intruders/day rangers Mossies felt that they could no longer outrun the later German planes without the use of 150 octane fuel. All late war mosquito day rangers were done with 150 fuel mosquitoes.

Also, FB.VI was optimized for low altitude combat and mostly operated under 10kft. In relative terms it will be reasonably fast on the deck, but will be left behind very quickly as altitude increases.

It is highly dependent on what kind of FB.VI we get. If it is modeled with the flame dampers (day mossies shouldn’t!) we we loose a good few MPH. If it is modeled with the saxophone exhausts (it shouldn’t for most representative FB.VI!) it will lose a few MPH more. The combination of both will remove about 15 MPH from the deck speed - sadly, this is the configuration used in most of the historical flight tests documents.

Either way, I’ll be here to throw it against the best anyone has to offer, allied or axis. When you fly mosquitoes it is all about going down with style!

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

TEither way, I’ll be here to throw it against the best anyone has to offer, allied or axis. When you fly mosquitoes it is all about going down with style!

You can't bail out of one anyway, so might as well fly it so low you can just pop it down on the ground instead...

Wonder if there'll be enough pilots around to do defensive circles. The Fw190 of any model was always something of a Mossie nemesis.

Edited by Richard Dastardly