Syrian Map Discussion

ghashpl

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O

PS. It's funny how we post in this thread just to keep it going :)

Thats pretty much how most threads on this forum are non? :thumbup:

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

:huh:

PG was updated post EA release too, so I would not expect Syria map to be any different.

The question is why would you expect it to be updated like the PG map which was released by ED? The Normandy map is the only other product released by Ugra and it only received one update that may or may not have been the result of significant pressure from the community or a contractual obligation to ED, we may never know since they have never made a post on this forum.

ED's messaging on the obligation of 3rd parties to update has been ... mixed ... at best.

Maybe because I don't connect their Middle East project to their DCS: Normandy 1944 one, and it looks like it is the business model for DCS. Early Access is an ongoing effort to make DCS better, which means if a third party wants to start generating income from their work, they need to release as soon as the product is playable, then improve it over time.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

The question is why would you expect it to be updated like the PG map which was released by ED? The Normandy map is the only other product released by Ugra and it only received one update that may or may not have been the result of significant pressure from the community or a contractual obligation to ED, we may never know since they have never made a post on this forum.
I keep seeing people these days saying that, but while early access I remember many updates to the map, don't know why you say it only received one update.

Anyway, as they already said, once Syria is released they'll come back to Normandy for another update. Hope that resolves some of the problems and gets us some more content for it.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

I guess he meant the only one major retexturing and bugfixing update we got last summer, while the few previous other, small ones, didn't improve the map all that much really (or even made some things worse, like the infamous stones scattered all over the airbases at some point).

The recently advertized Normandy overhaul sounds promising, but these are just words, not to be taken at face value. How many customers are going to wait to see what Ugra can deliver now for Normandy before purchasing Syria remains to be seen.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I guess he meant the only one major retexturing and bugfixing update we got last summer, while the few previous other, small ones, didn't improve the map all that much really (or even made some things worse, like the infamous stones scattered all over the airbases at some point).
AFAIK, bases were in the end more than expected, not to mention updated several times. We got the "British bases", unforeseen at first. They included Jersey islands, out of the scope of detailed map. We got railways and trains, unforeseen. That just from my memory, but there was a lot more for sure. And then, what you call the only major retexturing and bugfixing. That's not "one and only update" IMO, but who knows.

The recently advertized Normandy overhaul sounds promising, but these are just words, not to be taken at face value. How many customers are going to wait to see what Ugra can deliver now for Normandy before purchasing Syria remains to be seen.
:doh:

You all seem to forgot all the time what Normandy map means. Remember, the Normandy map was promised by Luthier in the infamous kickstarter, and taken over by ED to honour a promise done by others who took the money. The originally promised map was meant to be much smaller than what we have now, that means ED paid a third party to do so in a bigger and better way that was meant to be, just to honour the kickstarter, so that means many out there didn't pay for the map and assets because they already did pledge to KS. And not only they got what they pledged for, they got a better thing that was promised as originally planed by Luthier the map was ridiculous and unplayable. All of that came from ED pockets mate, and you doubt now about "their word" :doh: .

Don't get me wrong, it is not like I don't know the map could be bigger and better, and it is not I wouldn't like it to be bigger and better, but I remember mate, I remember what we have and WHY we have it, and how we could have nothing now.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

We kind of did

When are we going to get some ACTUAL information from either ED or the 3rd party dev on this map?

So, both Wags (recent YT video comment) and Chizh (Russian section) hinted about the Syria map a little bit.

Both seemed to agree that releasing this map is basically fully up to the third party, in this case, Ugra Media.

Since Ugra Media has not engaged with us here, neither they have updated their website for quite some time I think they could be either at a final stretch for an imminent release (therefore lack of time for communication) or the opposite and we will not see Syria map this year.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Did you mean photos on the official website and here in the forums or do you have any other insight into this project?

I like what was shown to us but it is just a small portion of what needs to be there. So the actual status of the entire map is a great unknown.

I wish somebody from Yugra-Media talked to us here, or at least in the Russian section if a language barrier is a thing.

Normally i was waiting for f-16 academic videos would be taken in this map. But i saw that they were taken in nevada map. maybe something is wrong with it..

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Yes!

Normally i was waiting for f-16 academic videos would be taken in this map. But i saw that they were taken in nevada map. maybe something is wrong with it..

My thoughts as well.

Wags said it is his favourite map to fly in, so it could be happening soon, but on the other hand, lack of comms is giving us reasons to discuss various outcomes.

Maybe some news tomorrow, let's see.

It'd be amazing if we managed to get both Ramat David, Akrotiri and Incirlik. Would open up for a lot of scenarios.

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

No Cyprus was mentioned

It'd be amazing if we managed to get both Ramat David, Akrotiri and Incirlik. Would open up for a lot of scenarios.

So far, there was not a single source that would mention Cyprus at all.

But Ramat David and Incirlik were appearing on screenshots and short YT clips so this should be happening.

With the amount of communication from ED regarding this map or lack of thereof from the developer, I would be happy to learn this project was not cancelled and making good progress.

Ironically, the future of this map depends on the 3rd party alone.

With the amount of communication from ED regarding this map or lack of thereof from the developer, I would be happy to learn this project was not cancelled and making good progress.

This is it exactly, I'm not expecting them to give us an exactly release date unless it's within a few weeks, I'm just hoping to have any sort of communication regarding this project. We haven't heard anything from the third party, ED stating that release is totally up to them seems like a bit of a copout to me.

We still don't have any idea what to expect from this map boundary wise, this should be pretty clear in the devs' minds at this point.

Maybe the developers are more active in the Russian language section of the forums? If so it'd be great if one of the ED Translators would pass us any information from there.

F-14 | F/A-18C | F-16C | AJS-37 | M-2000C | A-10C | UH-1H | F-5E | P-51 | Bf 109

Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Supercarrier

YouTube | Steam | Discord: JayBird#4400

i7-7700K | GTX 980 | 32gb RAM | 500gb SSD | 2TB HDD| Track IR | TM Warthog HOTAS | Logitech Pro Pedals

That's a NO

I'm fairly certain that's the case and also the reason we hear little from them in this part of the forum.

Nope, same story. Initial screens posted by Chizh and this community.

I actually think this section has got more information / discussion than the RU one.

Obviously standard answers still apply : It will be ready in "two weeks" + "ED will let us all know, when they are ready to do so"

Edited by Gierasimov

Thanks SD, you are always trying to keep up with all news, but this comment is not new at all.

We know all that, and hence this discussion.

Several months ago, I asked Sergey Yurov - CEO of LLC Yugra-Media about this project, and he responded with some additional screens. I tried to stay in touch with him, but since March this year no contact. Surely as a third party, developer is free to communicate, which is the case we see for other parties.

Ugra media only post info on your webpage, but from some months ago has not post a update, and no news or pics on the russian forum.

The Syria map ugra-media russian webpage

https://ugra-media.ru/2018/proekt-blizhnij-vostok/

This is disappointing to hear. Bear in mind I only voice my disdain because I want this map.

I understand how much time the development process takes, and having a community that is as invested as DCS, with its reputation (myself included) of being pushy and impatient, sharing updates and news can only lead to further questions. But I do not believe that radio silence is the appropriate way of going about things.

I appreciate you sharing news from the Russian front, I hope that soon we will have some more information to go off of...

F-14 | F/A-18C | F-16C | AJS-37 | M-2000C | A-10C | UH-1H | F-5E | P-51 | Bf 109

Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Supercarrier

YouTube | Steam | Discord: JayBird#4400

i7-7700K | GTX 980 | 32gb RAM | 500gb SSD | 2TB HDD| Track IR | TM Warthog HOTAS | Logitech Pro Pedals

Concur!

But I do not believe that radio silence is the appropriate way of going about things.

Yes, and we are all here as we are interested. I think it would be helpful if ED could say more, but at this point, I think they simply don't know for sure what to say, and certainly, don't want to pass on unverified messages.

Thinking even more about this, whatever is the reason for lack of comms in this subject from the developer, it could also be affecting what ED knows about Project Middle East.

Thinking even more about this, whatever is the reason for lack of comms in this subject from the developer, it could also be affecting what ED knows about Project Middle East.

As I recall it, the launch of DCS A-10C from Beta to Release took a bit longer than anticipated. In the last couple of days and hours before it came out, I think rumors ran completely wild. A perceived lack of communication on behalf of ED, plus hearsay and escalating repetitions of increasingly alarmist fake news made it sound as if ED had just fled to the Bahamas with all of our pre-purchase money. Well, a little later DCS A-10C was officially released and I don't recall reading the slightest hint of an apology from anyone participating in those heated discussions.

I have exactly 0 insight into Ugra Media or the Syria map. Who knows. Maybe it'll never be released and the writing has been on the wall for weeks and months. It's possible. Or maybe the map comes out next week and everyone is happy about it.

The one thing I think is really futile is when an apparent lack of news is twisted into impending doom.

We don't know. Is that a bad thing? Is that a good thing? Well, we don't know.

Is Gierasimov plotting with an unknown 4th party to ruin Ugra's reputation, and ED's along with it? Since we don't know for certain, let's be on the safe side and assume the worst...

Or maybe we should all just stick with what we know, which is that we don't know.

Well after being a DCS client for over 10 years (More of ED and the Fighter collection) i have learned that there is no point in arguing worrying or wondering. If things are going to happen they will, if not they wont, and no amount of discussion in this forums will change that hehehe.