laser tgt

oldpop

You need to press TDC Depress, while on the FLIR page, in order to create a target point.

If you want to fire the laser, you need to be in AG mode, move the LTD/R switch to Arm, select the Trigger option in the FLIR page and then press the trigger on the stick to toggle the laser on and off. You'll see L ARM when it's ready to fire and LTD/R when it's firing. If you leave AG mode, the switch will automatically return to Safe.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

The switch you're looking for is the LTD/R switch (to the right of the FLIR switch as Zyll mentioned). That switch has a safety interlock that prevents it from being set to the ARM position unless the jet in AG master mode (as Harker mentioned).

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

oldpop - If you do what has been suggested here - correctly - then you will see the TRG option appear on the OSB button (above where you can see RTCL).

So to be clear

1) setup as you were in the image you posted

2) check master arm = on

3) check A-G mode = on

3b) check you have laser bomb (ie GBU12) selected on stores page

4) by your right elbow (in cockpit) check both FLIR switch is in forward position (it will be if your TGP is working)

5) and LTD/R switch is forward position (it wont let you, unless the above conditions are met)

6) now TRG should appear on your TGP page

(note: TRG will replace your gun firing with laser firing when you press trigger,

so make sure to unpress TRG when you're done and/or need to use your gun)

edit:

oh and make sure you gave your GBUs (all pylons) the code 1688 on stores page - you can of course change this code for the bombs, but then you must manually change TGP laser code - default is 1688

Edited by FoxxyTrotty
added LGB laser code info

. . . . . . .

Every module/ map except the dual winged joke.

The switch you're looking for is the LTD/R switch (to the right of the FLIR switch as Zyll mentioned). That switch has a safety interlock that prevents it from being set to the ARM position unless the jet in AG master mode (as Harker mentioned).

And it's bugged, meaning that it won't let you set it in the forward positon (ARM), even if the conditions are met, untill you cycle it to the backward position once.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

follow up question. do you release the weapon with the "weapon release" button, then depress the trigger to fire the laser? if so how long to wait to fire the laser??

Thanks for the info guys:)

Yes, you release the AG weapon normally. If you have an AGM-65E, you need to fire the laser before launch, so the missile will pick it up.

For laser guided bombs, you can fire the laser immediately if you want or wait and fire a little later (you can see the time to impact - TTI on the HUD, after release), for a more vertical bomb impact, although it doesn't make much/any difference in DCS. Don't wait too long though, fire at around 12-16 seconds to impact at the latest.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

The 'box' on the inside of the tracking cross indicates the pod is in Point Track mode, has nothing to do with the laser. You can switch the pod between Area, Point, and Inertial track modes with Sensor Control Switch in the direction of the DDI that the FLIR page is pulled up on (in your case, SCS Right).

Laser indication is presented at the top of the FLIR page. When the Laser is armed and not firing, it will read 'L ARM.' When the laser is firing, it will read 'LTD/R.' Your second picture shows the laser is firing. If you want to see the TOO coordinates in the JDAM, you need to pull up the MSN (mission) page.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

Modes

Still can't get a good drop/hit. I don't see the small box over the tgt???

The 'box' on the inside of the tracking cross indicates the pod is in Point Track mode, has nothing to do with the laser. You can switch the pod between Area, Point, and Inertial track modes with Sensor Control Switch in the direction of the DDI that the FLIR page is pulled up on (in your case, SCS Right).

To illustrate what Tholozor said, when you press Sensor Control Switch (SCS) Right (or left depending on which DDI you have your TPOD/FLIR on), it will change it to the modes he mentioned and you can see which mode it is in (PTRK=Point Track, ATRK= Area Track...) here:

JvkxljF.jpg

About to give up for now on LGB's, This is my latest attempt. no hits!

What drop mode should I use< CCIP, AUTO, or MAN?

Auto, but you haven't set/told the system the bomb laser code.

See "Section 2.8 - GBU 12 Paveway II" in Chuck's F/A-18C Guide (page 217) for more details.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Q2vH0WLm5mdu2U3GX8AkB1z6iIP-I_sF

Edited by Ramsay
Add link to Chuck's Guide

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

You should use CCRP with the target point placed wherever you are firing your laser. This means that the release mode should be set to AUTO.

oldpop, you need to select the weapon (in this case 82LG) on the STORES page, the press CODE and then on the UFC, select the CODE option with the button, type in the laser code for the bombs (1688 in this case) and press enter.

Then you need to step between stations with STEP and press enter on the UFC, until all 82LG stations show 1688 under them and not XXXX. Then all of your bombs will track the laser. You can see your laser code on your FLIR page.

The laser guided bombs available to the Hornet are the GBU-12/16/10 (82LG, 83LG, 84LG in the STORES page, respectively). The GBU-38 (J82) and GBU-31 (J84) are JDAMs and are GPS/INS guided.

-

Pop, I just saw your pic. Laser code is one thing, "DUD" on your HUD at this alt. tells me you probably didn't arm the fuse. Check it next time. Turn MFUSE off and put EFUSE on INST or DLY1 or 2. I think delayed fusing is implemented already if not just use INST.

I understand the system now and have if functioning!

Problem now is locating the tgt on the flir.

If in the "auto" delvery mode, is there a method to "slave" the laser to the tgt set on the HSI? I would feel that small changes might need to be done with the TDC, but at least I would "see" the tgt on the FLIR screen.:)

I understand the system now and have if functioning!

Problem now is locating the tgt on the flir.

If in the "auto" delvery mode, is there a method to "slave" the laser to the tgt set on the HSI? I would feel that small changes might need to be done with the TDC, but at least I would "see" the tgt on the FLIR screen.:)

If you're on a hunt for small targets like vehicles using laser guided weapons, it's not easy sometimes. Even if you have a stationary tgt. with a pre-designated waypoint on top of it (for weapons release calc.) you still have to point the laser at it and currently DCS won't slave the pod for you so... it's a pain in the ass to find it sometimes. Like someone said already in the previous posts - use the SA page to scroll down the pod "box" onto the tgt. box and the use whatever magnification, terrain features helps you to find the target on FLIR display. Switch to CCD image, it might make the target stand out better.

edit: or use JTAC :)

Edited by Gripes323