Kneeboard Builder (windows app)

AlaskanGrizzly

Could you please look at your windows error logs right after you try running Kneeboard Builder and e-mail them to me.

To view the error logs in windows 7:

click on the start menu -> control panel -> system and security -> administrative tools -> event viewer-> expand 'windows logs' -> click on application.

For windows 8 / 10:

right click on the start menu -> computer management -> expand 'event viewer' -> expand 'windows logs' -> click on application

To save your all events: right click on application -> save all events as -> enter a name and save as an Event File (.evtx)

To save a single event: right click on the event(s) you want to save -> save selected event -> enter a name and save as an Event File (.evtx)

E-mail the logs to me at s13solutions@gmail.com.

Thanks.

On the Way

Neon and Recon Stewart thanks for the logs. The good news is it looks like you both are showing the same problem and it is a bug in the software, not your systems.

It looks like it is related to the work around I have for the MiG-21 and AJS37 since they handle the kneeboard differently than the other modules. I am pretty busy this week, but I will try to get to the bottom of it soon. Thanks again for your help.

• Like 1

Neon and Recon Stewart thanks for the logs. The good news is it looks like you both are showing the same problem and it is a bug in the software, not your systems.

It looks like it is related to the work around I have for the MiG-21 and AJS37 since they handle the kneeboard differently than the other modules. I am pretty busy this week, but I will try to get to the bottom of it soon. Thanks again for your help.

Thank you, your a gentlemen and a scholar.

Kneeboard Builder appears to replace the file "device_init.lua", renaming the original file. It does this for each aircraft in "/mods/aircrafts/(name of aircraft)/cockpit/scripts/" folder.

Unfortunately, this appear to have the effect of eliminating large sections of the subject aircraft's cockpit structure. Externally the aircraft look fine, but from the cockpit, much of the structure is missing.

I have seen a couple of other people note this effect.

Does anyone have a cure?

• Like 1

Kneeboard Builder appears to replace the file "device_init.lua", renaming the original file. It does this for each aircraft in "/mods/aircrafts/(name of aircraft)/cockpit/scripts/" folder.

Unfortunately, this appear to have the effect of eliminating large sections of the subject aircraft's cockpit structure. Externally the aircraft look fine, but from the cockpit, much of the structure is missing.

I have seen a couple of other people note this effect.

Does anyone have a cure?

That seems to happen when you have an old or corrupt version of the device_init.lua. Try this:

1) Put Kneeboard Builder into Lite Mode (Options -> Preferences -> Use Lite Mode).

2) Verify the 'device_init_original.lua' has been deleted in the "/mods/aircrafts/(name of aircraft)/cockpit/scripts/

3) Run 'Repair DCS World'

4) Take Kneeboard Builder out of Lite Mode and try customizing the kneeboard again.

It would be nice to create and share a database. What do you say?

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

No effect, I'm afraid.

For the Spitfire, the file "device_init.lua" is datestamped 16/12/16 15:16 and is 6KB in size.

For the Uh-1H it is datestamped 04/11/2016 19:49 and is 14KB in size.

It seems improbable that this file would have become corrupt in more than one aircraft type, or that all of them would not be corrected by a repair.

I have the same problem in all three versions of DCS (Stable, OpenBeta and Open Alpha), with each of them having a totally separate Kneeboard Builder installation. I have even downloaded a separate version of KB for each.

As I say, I have seen several reports of identical cockpit corruption.

See, for example, the thread in DCS: Spitfire L. F. MK. IX\Bugs and Problems\ Transparent Spitfire.

Edited by flyco
Additional reference

• 2 weeks later...

So after having kneeboard builder installed for about a year without sitting down to go through the manual and all the options: i finally did just that today, and i must say, cheers mate. That will get proper order into things. An your dynamic kneeboards....just the most ingenious idea really!

But i have noticed or run into some issues and i am not totally sure whether its a bug (maybe the lastest 2.1.1 updates changed things around), something i have set up wrong, or is a bug in kneeboard builder itself.

1. The dynamic kneeboard in NTTR does not show the entire briefing for custom missions if it is more text than fits on one page. Is it supposed to make more than one page for very long briefings?

2. The dynamic navbeacons do not show the proper airfield names. And some airfields should have TACAM plus ILS data right? It shows only either or.

3. I have managed to change the kneeboard size for one aricraft only, the A-10c. It is not being applied to any other aircraft, despetite the profile being the only one set up for the 'All Aircraft' tab.

4. When i click on the change profile tab on the win7 taskbar icon, i get the following error message: ''Could not find a part of the dcs installation path ...blabla ...OpenAlpha\Mods\aircraft\Flaming Cliffs\Cockpit\KneeboardLeft\device_ini_original.lua`.''

I don't own the Flaming Cliffs pack, but i have the standlone F-15c and Su-27. I have only one kneeboard installation folder which is configured for the open alpha version. I hav not set up the legacy and open beta as of yet.

By the way: posts on the previous couple of pages suggest kneeboard builder replaces an aicraft specific file called somehting like device_init.lua or device_init_original.lua. Some aircraft folders don't have that scripts folder and i have found that 'device_init_original.lua.' only for the A-10c, the only aircraft for which the kneeboard size has ben successfully change once.

I don't know, atm i feel like kneeboard builder is fine for managing the images of the different kneeboards. But the dynamic kneeboard pages and profiles with aircraft specific kneeboard size and placement seems to be troubled.

That was a bucket load of info, hope this does not discourage you. Does it all work dandy for you? Maybe its just my specific win 7/dcs setup. All other mods have been disabled via ovgme.

• 3 weeks later...

I fly with oculus rift

any way to make the kneeboard transparent ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IAF Bell205

IAF Anafa

-----------------------

DCS World Modules: A-10C, FC3, MiG-21BiS, F-86, P-51, KA-50, UH-1H Huey, Mi-8, M2000K, Gazal, Bf109, Mig-15, Hawk and NTTR

-----------------------

My System - ASUS Maximus HERO iiiv, CoolMaster 120 Sadion Plus, I7 -6700K @4.0, G.Skill ddr4 16GB ram, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 , PSU Seasonic X-650W, OCZ 150 500Gb ssd drive X2, Seagate 7200 1T X2.

-------------

• 1 month later...
Any update on the windows 10 crash at boot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I apologize for the very long delay. I believe the issue is related to my work around code to get Kneeboard Builder to work with the MiG-21 and Viggen since their kneeboard logic is non-standard compared to the other modules. I've been getting hammered with mandatory overtime at work and I just haven't found the motivation lately to dig back through my code to fix it yet. (That and VR flying has kept me distracted too) It is on my to-do list though...

Is there any way to omit the Mig-21 and Viggen code for now? I and a few others are VR pilots as well see your Kneeboard Builder is an invaluable tool for VR, especially when purchasing new flight models.

Do you happen to have all of your previous builds? I was using an older version up until this morning that worked just fine. Not sure on the version number but I believe it was dated around mid to late 2016.It'd be great to have something rather than nothing.

Thanks for the hard work. It is much appreciated.

Edited by maverickturner

Is this mod compatible with 2.1.1 ?

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

I apologize for the very long delay. I believe the issue is related to my work around code to get Kneeboard Builder to work with the MiG-21 and Viggen since their kneeboard logic is non-standard compared to the other modules. I've been getting hammered with mandatory overtime at work and I just haven't found the motivation lately to dig back through my code to fix it yet. (That and VR flying has kept me distracted too) It is on my to-do list though...

I am a new user and have just downloaded this. I also downloaded the .Net Runtimes, but the install said that I already have them. I am running v1.6.9.8 as Admin.

When I run Kneeboard Builder, I just get the loading Screen and then it crashes. ("Kneeboard Builder has Stopped Working."). Is the reason as you stated above? The current version does not work for anyone??

Sorry, being a new user I am wondering if I am doing something wrong. :doh: Thanks.

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

I am a new user and have just downloaded this. I also downloaded the .Net Runtimes, but the install said that I already have them. I am running v1.6.9.8 as Admin.

When I run Kneeboard Builder, I just get the loading Screen and then it crashes. ("Kneeboard Builder has Stopped Working."). Is the reason as you stated above? The current version does not work for anyone??

Sorry, being a new user I am wondering if I am doing something wrong. :doh: Thanks.

Yep exact same problem.

Same here.

It crashes as soon as I choose the DCS 2.0alpha version in the preferences.

If I change the path back to DCS in the KneeboardBuilder.exe.config-file the program runs ok.

<add key="DCSpath" value="C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World" />

until I change it to 2.0 alpha again.

I just get the Loading screen, then crash. I never see the program..

Sent from my Moto Z Play using Tapatalk

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

I just get the Loading screen, then crash. I never see the program..

Sent from my Moto Z Play using Tapatalk

Yeah the crash on start with windows 10 is a known issue and that’s what he was talking about. Hopefully he will find time.

Hotfix for MiG-21 and AJS37 Crash

This hotfix should stop the crash on startup that many of you are experiencing while I continue on working towards a permanent fix.

It disables the MiG-21 and AJS37 custom kneeboard sizing and color scheme features. Adding custom images to the MiG-21 and AJS37 will still work though.

This is a beta version of Kneeboard Builder that I haven't been able to thoroughly test. It has several other changes included as well, so please let me know if you run into any problems. (crossing my fingers you don't)

Installation:

Open the attached .zip file and copy the KneeboardBuilder.exe file to your Kneeboard Builder directory and overwrite the existing .exe file.

When you start Kneeboard Builder be sure you select 'no' when it asks if you want to update. Turn off auto-updates in the Options-> Preferences menu to keep the program from asking you to update every time you start it.

KneeboardBuilder 1.6.9.9 Hotfix.zip