Introducing the Michelin Guide for DCS World

Stretch

Introducing the DCShelin Guide (pron. "Dischelin") -- just like the real Michelin Guide, it gives you brief, bite-size reviews of DCS World aircraft, campaigns, and terrains to help you decide what to buy. DCShelin Stars are awarded sparingly, only to the very best. Download it here: http:// https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RGcCgoxEe-YLahGk0w7YzLyN11kdZUam/view?usp=sharing

Backstory -- I'm in the process of completing every campaign for every aircraft in DCS World. It's a very long road, but I've made some progress already. Over the course of completing these campaigns, I started writing quick reviews of them, in the style of the Michelin Guide. I decided, why not go the extra mile? Who wouldn't want to see which modules are worthy of a Michelin Star?

The guide starts with reviews of the vehicles but it's the campaigns I most enjoyed reviewing. There isn't a lot of good information out there on which campaigns are worth playing, and I hope this helps.

"Why isn't the Harrier/Viggen/etc. in here?" -- Like any good reviewer, I only stuck to those aircraft I've actually put significant hours into, in order to give you an authentic opinion. If you have a lot of hours in your favorite aircraft and it's not in this list, and you can write gud enlglihs maintaining the compact, rich cadence of a Michelin review, please contribute a few sentences about it! Be honest and unbiased in your critique.

"Why isn't my favorite campaign in here?" -- As above, I only review those campaigns I have completed in their entirety. Some campaigns can take months of practice to beat so it's a slow road. But rest assured, if a campaign is reviewed in the guide, it's a review from start to finish. See the previous paragraph if you've completed the campaign and want to contribute a review.

"I vehemently disagree with a review!" -- That's fair, and probably likely. There are so many opinions on so many modules, you're bound to object to one of them. I hope you understand this is a book of opinions, not facts. And maybe I really am wrong on something, and 99% of the community agrees that the Hawk T.1A was the best DCS World module or whatever. That's fine. My opinions can change.

"I found a factual error." -- Please let me know! If I said an aircraft has a PFM when it doesn't, got an early-access tag wrong, or the manufacture year of an aircraft wrong, please let me know and I'll fix it.

"No three-star reviews?" -- There's just not enough DCS World modules (at least, compared to the number of restaurants in the world) to really justify that level of discrimination. One-star and two-star is enough for now. Like the real Michelin guide, a module has to be exemplary to earn even one star.

A couple other points. Firstly, I'm not on GAW or Blue Flag 12 hours a day like a lot of you. I know there's a lot of min-maxing around which aircraft to fly against what that's insular to the multiplayer persistent server community. That's not emphasized in these reviews, though I do touch on multiplayer a bit.

Secondly, my play-style is strongly procedural and realism-oriented. I gravitate towards aircraft and campaigns that capture the whole zeitgeist of being a combat pilot, boring stuff included. Hence why the FC3 aircraft aren't even in the Guide yet, and why, for example, the A-10C gets two coveted stars when most people find it far less capable than the F/A-18C. Capable is one part of the spectrum. I don't mind flying an underpowered brick if in doing so I FEEL like a warrior and get a complete, polished experience, and access to quality content. The F/A-18C gets one star (which is no small feat) because what it does have right now is top-notch, but it has a long road ahead of it still.

Edited by Stretch

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

Other handles: Strikeout (72nd VFW, 15th MEU Realism Unit), RISCfuture (BMS forums)

PC and Peripherals: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/RISCfuture/saved/#view=DMp6XL

Win10 x64 — BMS — DCS — P3D

An interesting summary for the newcomers, definitely a good idea! I like the tags and the simplicity of it all. Even if at first glance the description seems shorter than each of those products deserve, there's just too much we could say about them. So, very well done.

A few suggestions:

- I think an important criteria for the aircraft is the available DLC, even though there's a section on some of the campaigns. For ex. the A-10C is the richest in that regards (and by the way, I don't agree its mission set is limited, on the contrary! It's simply a ground attacker and not a fighter).

- Beware of the PFM notation, don't forget 3rd parties won't have this qualification but the EFM one, which doesn't mean inferior! That's why the CEII must be EFM and not PFM, by the way (unless I'm wrong, please correct me if that's the case). Most ED's modules are PFM except a few FC3.

- The ASM criteria may be important too, a non-interactive cockpit and limited system modelling are much less appealing to more demanding users. And it may be more appealing for casual users.

- "The best DCS has to offer" would probably deserve a poll for each, for instance having no "star" for the Mi-8, the M-2000 or the F-86 is definitely going to be a controvery. One star for the MiG-21 seems fair (who doesn't love this one?) but on second thought it has no campaign, very bad training missions, and is getting completely outdated, I wouldn't like to buy this one in its current state if I were a new DCS fan.

- Same remark as above for the "fidelity" (I suppose you mean the systems and flight modelling since there's a separate label for the 3D modelling).

Actually a yearly poll/contest would be very interesting :D The only challenge is to find a formula that isn't overwhelming for you when gathering the results.

A few fixes:

- Bf-109 is PFM/ASM.

- F-5 is PFM/ASM.

- The F/A-18C was produced much earlier than 1998 (first flight 3 Sep 1986, production started in 1987). I haven't checked the others. Don't take my word on that date, better to double-check.

More stuff:

If you plan to expand the campaign section, you should check out the "The Museum Relic", one of the most creative campaigns around and a great incentive to get the F-86 or the MiG-15, which are otherwise much underrated modules IMHO. I can try to send you a couple of paragraphs on it, or put them here, if someone else hasn't yet.

Edited by Redglyph
some more info

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

Thanks for the corrections on EFM/PFM. For the years I chose the year that the specific aircraft modeled first flew, in this case the Lot 20 Hornets in particular. The A-10 first flew in 1977 but that year is hardly representative of the A-10C we have in the sim.

You're right that the MiG-21 is very light on campaigns and other useful stuff. That's definitely a downside. But I personally just can't get over how well it captures the feel of flying the awkward, steam-driven, tubejet interceptor. I feel like that puts it above the rest.

The Mi-8 is also an excellent bird but to me the lack of multi-crew is a critical oversight. The Mirage I think has a bit to go before its cockpit modeling, flight model, and "presence" are there. Likewise with the F-86.

Fidelity tag probably does need some work; I'm not an SME so I'm not the best at it but I'm giving it a go.

ASM should probably be added yes. Because of my personal tastes, currently the only aircraft in the guide are ASM aircraft.

And yes, there are so many good campaigns I need to get to. Completing a campaign takes me a while with work and everything else, so it's a slow road, but I'm working on it.

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

Other handles: Strikeout (72nd VFW, 15th MEU Realism Unit), RISCfuture (BMS forums)

Thanks for the corrections on EFM/PFM. For the years I chose the year that the specific aircraft modeled first flew, in this case the Lot 20 Hornets in particular. The A-10 first flew in 1977 but that year is hardly representative of the A-10C we have in the sim.

Ah OK, I thought it was the general model, I have no idea about the different lots within that model so disregard my comment.

You're right that the MiG-21 is very light on campaigns and other useful stuff. That's definitely a downside. But I personally just can't get over how well it captures the feel of flying the awkward, steam-driven, tubejet interceptor. I feel like that puts it above the rest.

The Mi-8 is also an excellent bird but to me the lack of multi-crew is a critical oversight. The Mirage I think has a bit to go before its cockpit modeling, flight model, and "presence" are there. Likewise with the F-86.

100% with you there! And hopefully those will evolve to catch up. But you see my point, that may be very subjective, and several votes could be more representative. Or not, it's really your idea after all :)

Valid point also about the ASM (and I also prefer those). But there is a renewed trend in DCS to also try and get more casual users with a simpler systems and cockpit handling. If they represent a good share of new users, they would be very interested in such a guide. But on the other hand, it means someone has to write a mini-review for these modules. Or would they? Ah well, maybe a guide for simpler aircraft is not as necessary as for the advanced ones that require so much learning time.

Edited by Redglyph

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

- The F/A-18C was produced much earlier than 1998 (first flight 3 Sep 1986, production started in 1987). I haven't checked the others. Don't take my word on that date, better to double-check

IIRC first flight was around first 80's, maybe 79, but what I remember is first production models are from 1983, and in 1986 arrived firsts EF-18A to Spain, so it's even earlier than your statement. A quick visit to Wikipedia would clarify it.

Kudos for the guide, thanks for your time mate.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

IIRC first flight was around first 80's, maybe 79, but what I remember is first production models are from 1983, and in 1986 arrived firsts EF-18A to Spain, so it's even earlier than your statement. A quick visit to Wikipedia would clarify it.

S!

Spanish hornets were produced since 1985-86 At that time, McDonnell switched the production to C version. In fact Spanish hornets are not strictly A version. Have some small details from the C version.

Sent from my MiG-29S (9-13S) using Tapatalk

:megalol:

S!

I was talking about the -C, but the OP clarified above.

And I would definitely not rely on Wikipedia :D

Not everything in this guide is accurate but it's an interesting initiative at least.

I would appreciate your corrections, as I said in the OP.

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

I for one fully agree with the rating of the M-2000C campaign :music_whistling:

But in all honesty, a brilliant idea and well presented. I'll be watching the new additions with interest. Thanks!

I agree 100%, and that’s why a PG campaign MUST be a priority :music_whistling:. Seriously, you brought the game to a whole new level, well deserved of the many Michelin stars :lol:

Revision 2 released at https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Nfy7ykZfQkzF-WfdgSkDoU4yjKLz7Doy/view?usp=sharing

* A-10C Stone Shield campaign added

* After some reflection, awarded a star to the Ka-50

* Corrected some EFM/PFM labels

* Corrected some aircraft facts

* Typo fixes

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

What star? I see flowers - like it was some Barbie beauty contest ;)

Lol. It’s from the actual Michelin Guide. Back in the day they put asterisks next to exemplary restaurants. Those asterisks turned into their distinctive “star.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

It's an interesting concept, but in my opinion, in it's present state it's very subjective.

A few comments:

- Some aircraft are not included.

- Fidelity: what's the reason to not award this to all non-FC3 aircraft? Granted, there are some in Early Access which are not feature complete and therefore not 100% fidelity in that regard, but I think it's the defining feature of DCS as a whole to offer "full fidelity" (within certain limits, obviously). I think that if you withold this rating, you should specify what is not correct or what is not modeled and why this is important to you.

- Complexity: this is not properly defined. Are you referring to cold start procedure, radar operations, combat, or a bit of everything? I would say that the Ka-50 is more complex than the Mi-8, unless you count the amounts of switches to flip during start-up.

- Modelling: this is a bit subjective...

- Stars: this is probably the most controversial aspect.

Personally:

Albatros: 3 stars for originality, joy of flying, multi-functionality, inclusion of two versions, campaign availability.

MiG-15: 2 stars for flight modelling, weapons modelling, campaign availability.

Viggen: 2 stars for systems modelling, flight modelling, campaign availability.

With regards to the star rating you would create a poll to try and eliminate the subjectivity.

Edited by Zius

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

Nice, great work, thanks.

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

Lol. It’s from the actual Michelin Guide. Back in the day they put asterisks next to exemplary restaurants. Those asterisks turned into their distinctive “star.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's funny, I had no idea the Michelin guide was even known outside of Western Europe :)

• 7 months later...

Revision 3 of the DCShelin Guide is out: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RGcCgoxEe-YLahGk0w7YzLyN11kdZUam/view?usp=sharing

As I've continued to fly aircraft and beat campaigns, I've expanded the guide. This revision includes the ACM training campaigns for the F-5E, the F-14A and its campaign, Museum Relic for the F-86, and more.

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

Aha ... I read through it. And with that, the purchase decision should be made easier ... or what is the purpose of it? Personally, I find this guide useless.

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

Good initiative but

Good initiative but the description of the aircraft is full of mistakes and misinterpretation can not be used as a reference..

"A-10C “Warthog” PFM..

USA — 2005..."

service in 2006

"AJS 37 Viggen EFM

Sweden — 1991 (3rd gen) — ground attack, recon

◆ Low-level ground attack aircraft with a few

other oddball capabilities (like maritime recon).

Excels at screaming NOE bombing runs,

bumping around at 100m AGL. Primitive mission

computer, analog radar, and unintuitive weapon

controls. Basic A/A capability. Cockpit needs

some work."

AJS-37 you the see the "S" is the 4th gen UPGRADE of the old AJ-37 (3rd gen)

The description is incorrect the Viggen with its latest generation programmable missiles is one of the most complex and sophisticated strike fighter in DCS..

In fact in its improvement the cockpit interface remains old but some technology and armament are modern (4th generation)

"F-14A Tomcat EFM

USA — 1970 (4th gen) — carrier fleet defense"

We don't have yet the F-14A, we got only the B

F-14A (1974)

F-14B (1987)

F-14D (1992)

Service and not 1970

"Mirage 2000C EFM

France — 1987 (4th gen)"

service in 1984

it should review the descriptions that are sometimes incorrect or incomplete and also why make a guide if it misses more than half of all aircrfats playable?

I advise you to do detailed research and watch several documentaries before writing a description and commissioning on a Aircraft ;)

Edited by Satarosa

Real War, Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCs1uki5QsyuHUdvtmWJTOg?view_as=subscriber

Real War, Voice Chat: https://discord.gg/UGa3KMe

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]