Sabre Skins for DCS 2.5 by jocko417

jocko417

Thanks for all the great repaints joco417. I painted a pilot for your 413 metal sabre AP 108. I was wondering if you would mind if I use this in videos. My father flew this aircraft and I based the pilot on his picture with a sabre. I have some interesting info from my fathers log books about this aircraft. I would love to see the F-104G you are painting in tails 12701-12705. My father was squadron leader in Cold lake on F-104s in 1966. My father loved your artwork and was amazed at the videos I've made. He sadly passed at age 93 last year but I know he was really impressed with your artistry. Thanks again. Any chance on getting your 413 camo version?

I can pm you my files for my pilot if you like joco417

Thanks for all the great repaints joco417. I painted a pilot for your 413 metal sabre AP 108. I was wondering if you would mind if I use this in videos. My father flew this aircraft and I based the pilot on his picture with a sabre. I have some interesting info from my fathers log books about this aircraft. I would love to see the F-104G you are painting in tails 12701-12705. My father was squadron leader in Cold lake on F-104s in 1966. My father loved your artwork and was amazed at the videos I've made. He sadly passed at age 93 last year but I know he was really impressed with your artistry. Thanks again. Any chance on getting your 413 camo version?

I can pm you my files for my pilot if you like joco417

Camo Tusker coming soon! :) Do you have a link to the videos?

So... maybe CF-100 in the future? ������

What I'd like to see first is a T-33!!! :pilotfly:

As for the CF, I'm watching this project as it's the closest we'll probably get:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=244591

Could be a pretty good CF-100 hack.

Hornets and Lightning Snakes!

A couple of new ones that have sitting around my HDD...

There were two Sabre squadrons based on the west coast of Canada, at RCAF Station Sea Island (now Vancouver International Airport), during the late fifties.

Aircraft were in natural metal finish, with red search markings on the wing tips and tail.

443 "City of New Westminster" Sqdn Sabre Mk.5 23060 is now out front of the Army Navy and Air Force Club in Sidney, B.C., near the Victoria airport.

dIrp26.jpg

442 "City of Vancouver" Sqdn Sabre Mk.5 23036:

8QNvY6.jpg

Available now for download, see bottom of first post in thread for links.

Edited by jocko417

Camo Tusker coming soon! :) Do you have a link to the videos?

What I'd like to see first is a T-33!!! :pilotfly:

As for the CF, I'm watching this project as it's the closest we'll probably get:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=244591

Could be a pretty good CF-100 hack.

Ha! when I posted that I thought I was replying to the Meteor thread. Must have switched tabs without noticing.

I'd totally get behind the T-33 also.

wckM2L3.jpg

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

RCAF Sabre Mk.2 - 1 (F) Wing, North Luffenham, UK

Was playing around with my templates recently and decided to go back a bit further in time. RCAF fighter squadrons in the early fifties had pretty colourful art before things started to become more standardized in the mid-fifties.

When Canada first sent Sabres to serve with NATO forces overseas, No. 1 Fighter Wing was based in England, at North Luffenham, just east of Leicester. The Sabres were based in the UK to defend Britain from the MiG threat, since the RAF at the time only had first generation straight-winged types on strength, like the Gloster Meteor and the deHavilland Vampire. Once the RAF had enough swept wing fighters based at home, 1 (F) Wing moved to it's new home at Marville, France, and upgraded to the more powerful Sabre Mk.5.

But back to North Luffenham:

Canada's NATO fighter squadrons were originally equipped with the Canadair Sabre Mk.2 (and some Mk.4s), basically the same as an F-86E, with the narrow chord, slatted wing. A lot of the Canadair Mk.2s (and 4s) were later upgraded to the hard leading edged, broad chord 6-3 wing and sold to other NATO nations.

So I figured I'd do some "semi-historical" RCAF paint schemes for our F-86F model, starting with 1 Wing, circa early 1950s.

vBGXP7.jpg

No. 410 (Cougar) Squadron

p224m1.jpg

No. 439 (Sabre-Toothed Tiger) Squadron

ytiIZd.jpg

No. 441 (Silver Fox) Squadron

Sabre 2 paint schemes include squadron artwork, and the early all-plastic intake (with metal gun camera panel at 6 o'clock position).

441 squadron artwork changed a few times in the early fifties, this is a composite of the two main styles.

Wing walkway stripes have been painted to mimic the slatted leading edges of the early Sabres.

Aircraft numbers can be assigned in the mission editor, using the nose BORTS. I made new BORTS using authentic aircraft numbers as seen in period photos. 441 displayed the last three digits of the aircraft serial (Sabre Mk.1-4 used 19 as the leading two digits whereas Sabre Mk.5 and 6 used 23), 439 displayed the last three as well, and later just the last two digits, albeit larger in size. 410 sometimes put the last three on the inboard slat section on both left and right wings, which we obviously can't do in the game.

The numbers are randomized, you can use them by typing 111, 222, 333, etc. into the mission editor.

The sharp eyed will probably notice that the fuselage nationality markings do not directly oppose each other but are slightly skewed fore and aft. This is because of the way the RCAF arranged the fuselage marking string back then.

The string consisted of a two-letter squadron code/roundel/single letter for the individual aircraft, just like it had been in WW2. It was "read" from left to right on both sides of the fuselage, so the roundel on the right side will always appear to be too far forward in comparison with the left side.

As these skins can't use fuselage BORTS I have left the letter codes off, and used nose BORTS instead.

Pilot textures include period squadron patches, and early, dark blue RCAF flying suits.

Lastly, cockpits in the Sabre 2s were finished in all over matte black. My Early Black custom cockpit textures can be used to complete the experience ;)

Available here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3308361/

Edited by jocko417

Golden Hawks 1960

This one took a lot of tweaking and I think this is about the best it will get, especially for a guy with no formal training in image editing software/skinning :)

Canadair Sabre Mk.5 23066 of the RCAF Golden Hawks aerobatics team, circa 1960, as flown by team lead S/L Fern Villeneuve, who passed away on Christmas Day, 2019, in his 93rd year.

yQjotq.jpg

ABNuPy.jpg

eJ56aY.jpg

YTtgoa.jpg

Finished in Sheffield Luxor Pale Gold, with polished bare metal trim and Golden Hawks team markings as they appeared during the 1960 season. Minimal weathering, as this was an airshow bird.

I had to play around with the mipmap settings to keep any ghosting around the markings to a minimum, and the ROUGHMET files took a lot of work to get the proper look for metal flake paint.

Pilot wears Golden Hawks flying gear with patches and metallic gold helmet.

Available now, includes <BONUS!> the later paint scheme as seen on Mk.6 aircraft in the final two seasons:

UJy7YL.jpg

See first post for skin pack DL link :)

Edited by jocko417