Found real bombing ranges

Scooternutz

I have found nine areas that appear to be actual bombing ranges in the NTTR area. 6 for sure. They are clearly outlined and are from the satellite imagery but can be used and dressed up with some object placement.

The Tonopah Airfield is present but it is a fuzzy satellite image. The original Russian and North Korean airfield South of Goldfield and East of Beatty are there, again satellite images.

There may be a range near the Mercury area and I am not sure if it was a nuclear test area. Looks like a dedicated conventional range now. The distances average 100nm from Nellis and 50 from Groom Lake. And that brings me to my next point. We all know that Tonopah was built for the F-117 and other Black Project aircraft. Area 51 has its secrets but wouldn't it be something if Area 51 was used as a mid range refueling and rearming base so all aircraft would not have fly all the way back to Nellis. What if the government just let the legend grow and what the reality is its really a big nothing?

Edited by Scooternutz

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=zFrtIZ0d8gBg.kQ_-yw1qsYLc&hl=en_US

I just found this...

Some are no longer visible or present...

Edited by Sierra99

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

The 476th has some things in the works, some may end up being released to the public. Now what Nevada is "released" some of the plans we've had for the last few years may finally come to light.

Thanks. I will certainly look forward to anything that you guys see fit to pass on to us common folk. :thumbup:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

So...

Using the information provided on the website posted above, I spent the evening creating a NTTR Master Target list. I copied MOST of the targets listed onto a blank map using Windsocks as Target icons. (I say "Most" because I think I'm missing 1 or 2...but it's too late and i'm to tired to figure out which ones they are.)

Understand there are NO TARGET on this map. Only an placemark at the approximate location where targets are normally deployed. (I used very exacting guess work and judgement in placing the targets that didn't actually line up with something that looked...like a target)

Hopefully knowing where targets are normally placed on the range should help us create better missions that are as realistic as possible.

That is after were all done buzzing the strip.

Sierra

(Moved Target File to Mission Builders Corner)

Edited by Sierra99

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

• 1 month later...

Google Map of real bombing ranges

I am building a base mission file based on real world imagery which has objects placed on the ground where at the moment they are just flat images. I'm absolutely amazed at how many ranges and targets there are out there. Some are quite mysterious. I have found tanks in revetments, numerous airfields scratched out of the sand. There is a CAMOUT facility (Combined Arms Military Operations in Urban Terrain) - an entire village made out of containers and junk- a few miles to the north west of Creech.

A disused railway siding seems to have containers placed on the track taking the place of carriages.

Some circles, which I found, turn out not to be targets, but marks in the desert to assess the effects of underground nuclear detonations.

I have saved my findings on a google map.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zitToDztQ4m0.kIOfWAq5hAKA&usp=sharing

Please PM me if you have found something interesting and would like to add it to the map and I will include it or add you as an editor.

I have not yet had a chance to see if all of the objects seen on google are visible on the NTTR map, but so far everything I have found is there.

I have also been using the Nellis Red Flag 2014 Guide (link available elsewhere on the forum) and entering the reporting points (FLEX, NIXON etc.) as IP points. These give a good idea of where the action is to be found.

I will post my .miz file when its good to go if 476th don't beat me to it.

Cheers

Matt

The 476th has some things in the works, some may end up being released to the public. Now what Nevada is "released" some of the plans we've had for the last few years may finally come to light.

Many thanks to the 476th for releasing their mission to other groups to be offered on public servers. I've been flying it on the 104th.....excellent. I wouldn't expect anything less.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

I will post my .miz file when its good to go if 476th don't beat me to it.

Cheers

Matt

Mission Stuka released with most ranges populated. Still being completed but more there than most will ever use.

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=403

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk