Is the A-10C textures/cockpit/raindrops update still planned?

Gliptal

Unless ED can come up woth a way to monetize A-10 updates, I would not expect updates. It just doesnt make business sense. Im a huge A-10 fan; built a pit dedicated to it, so I hope Im wrong but I also work in a small tech company and I have to admit what I would do.

Edited by Puma
Typo

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

They are working on updates to textures and raindrop effects.

ED updates all of it's modules including it's older ones. I try to support them by buying new modules.

P51 is getting a update next week

Edited by MrPiper
typo

The DEMONS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Go to Heaven for the climate,Hell for the company

Check us out on page 23 in the squadron directory, on the multiplayer forum and send me a private message.

That is super encouraging; but also Ill beleive it when I see it. There is so much work left on the F-18 module. Bugfixes are one thing, thats a commitment any ethical company will support, but rebuilds of any considerable effort that generate no revenue are dangerous plans for aoftware companies.

Long live the Hog!!

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

Unless ED can come up woth a way to monetize A-10 updates, I would not expect updates. It just doesnt make business sense. Im a huge A-10 fan; built a pit dedicated to it, so I hope Im wrong but I also work in a small tech company and I have to admit what I would do.

Entirely agree. Personally I would be quite happy to pay for this type of upgrade. They could just call it the A-10C v2.5. (like they did with BS2). I don't see why people expect it to be upgraded for free indefinitely. It's tricky though, as this has resulted from their engine upgrade.

I try to support them by buying new modules.
This means you are paying for something you DO want by buying something that you (possibly) DON'T. I would argue that that distorts the market, and ends up with a range of aircraft being produced that few are actually interested in.
Edited by Hippo

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

I have a mod for that. Is it yours by any chance?

Maybe, I made one but I'm not updating it anymore (devs won't integrate this patch anyway). It's such a pain to see the A-10C in such a chaotic state, and having to guess which way to click each cockpit control.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

Funny enough, I've tried the buttons/switches mod before, but it was actually more confusing as I've spent years in the aircraft and have the janky switch directions committed to memory.

That's pretty understandable :D I almost had the same problem for a few switches, but common sense quickly came back, since the switches in most other modules are consistent (except Heatblur and M3L who prefer to do differently than the standard and are even more confusing).

In the worst case, there could be a flag in the A-10C "Special" settings to keep backward compatibility, it's just a condition in the lua script.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

• 5 months later...

A forum search turned up no updated information on when the new textures might be released. Anyone know?

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

ED weekend news Feb 22 2019

February was the last official update on the subject but no date yet... so I guess they're working on it at this time

I'm very much looking forward to the new A-10C textures and model :)

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 F-GAMING | i7-10700K | RTX3090 TUF OC | 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz | Windows 10 64bit | Acer Predator X34P | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog | TM T.Flight Rudder Pedals

A-10C | A-10C II | F/A-18C | F-16C | FC3 | PG | Syria | SC

Home made F-16C simulator
Forum Thread: DCS World forum - The Viper Project - Home Cockpits Instagram: 1583142 copia.jpg The Viper Project YouTube youtube-icon-512x512-874lspju.png The Viper Project - Youtube channel

Entirely agree. Personally I would be quite happy to pay for this type of upgrade. They could just call it the A-10C v2.5. (like they did with BS2). I don't see why people expect it to be upgraded for free indefinitely. It's tricky though, as this has resulted from their engine upgrade.

This means you are paying for something you DO want by buying something that you (possibly) DON'T. I would argue that that distorts the market, and ends up with a range of aircraft being produced that few are actually interested in.

Absolutely not. Unless there's actual addition in value, like bringing us up to a later software version and HMD.

They've update the WW2 birds' cockpits, they'll do the A-10C and Warthog too.

And hopefully the external lighting as well. The position lights are way too bright. Anti-collision lights are blinding and useless. The upper and lower white lights when using formation lights shine through the cockpit, and you should be able to turn those off while keeping the slimes on.

I think ED should move to a subscription type of business for each module. This would be the only way to have a constant flow of money to provide updates and bug fixes in a reasonable time frame. It Is unacceptable to sell released modules full price in the state in which a-10c and ka-50 are now.

I think ED should move to a subscription type of business for each module. This would be the only way to have a constant flow of money to provide updates and bug fixes in a reasonable time frame. It Is unacceptable to sell released modules full price in the state in which a-10c and ka-50 are now.

Subscription isn't a bad idea. But your logic doesn't make any sense to me. If you buy a 10 year old car, do you expect it to have the same features as a 2019 model car?

And if your answer is "it's software so it's different" Then does MS Office from 2011 have the same features as modern Office?

And if your answer is "but they are adding new feature" We're right back to paying for the textures. Someone above said "no way, it's should be free" But I can just as easily argue that adding new shaders *is* a new feature.

But I do like yearly all you can eat SaaS license model. You could have different tier pricing. Interesting idea.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Subscription isn't a bad idea. But your logic doesn't make any sense to me. If you buy a 10 year old car, do you expect it to have the same features as a 2019 model car?

And if your answer is "it's software so it's different" Then does MS Office from 2011 have the same features as modern Office?

And if your answer is "but they are adding new feature" We're right back to paying for the textures. Someone above said "no way, it's should be free" But I can just as easily argue that adding new shaders *is* a new feature.

But I do like yearly all you can eat SaaS license model. You could have different tier pricing. Interesting idea.

They can recoup their costs somewhere else. Software is not like making a table. You do not need to make a profit, on every cent you spend, to be profitable. No raw materials are required, no warehousing is required. Just office space, and development costs. You develop 1 unit of a piece of software and resell that single unit infinitely. This differs from physical things, which you have make multiple units, to sell multiple units.

They will get their money's worth, since the A-10C and the Ka-50 are not off the shelf, are they? No, both are still available and people do still buy it. So ED is making money hand over fist on these 60USD modules, for development costs that have been recouped years ago, several times over. Thus, any work done by keeping the modules up to date with the engine is a drop in the bucket financially, compared to the full development of a module from scratch and will pay itself off with future purchases of said module.

No. Horrible Idea.

You're right about one thing though; making software is not like making cars. It's completely different and you can't price software in the same way make cars, nor can you run a business in the same way to sell software.

Edited by umkhunto

They can recoup their costs somewhere else. Software is not like making a table. You do not need to make a profit, on every cent you spend, to be profitable. No raw materials are required, no warehousing is required. Just office space, and development costs. You develop 1 unit of a piece of software and resell that single unit infinitely. This differs from physical things, which you have make multiple units, to sell multiple units.

They will get their money's worth, since the A-10C and the Ka-50 are not off the shelf, are they? No, both are still available and people do still buy it. So ED is making money hand over fist on these 60USD modules, for development costs that have been recouped years ago, several times over. Thus, any work done by keeping the modules up to date with the engine is a drop in the bucket financially, compared to the full development of a module from scratch and will pay itself off with future purchases of said module.

No. Horrible Idea.

You're right about one thing though; making software is not like making cars. It's completely different and you can't price software in the same way make cars, nor can you run a business in the same way to sell software.

That's a common misconception: that software has no COGs so it's 100% profit after it's written. But DCS has no assets other than programmers. I mean they have PCs, offices, utility bills, but the *bulk* of their liabilities is in the programmers. Everything else is in the G&A column.

Someone has to maintain backward compatibility, someone has to keep up with patches, someone has to keep up with new shaders, someone has to keep up with making videos, someone has to link up with testers and collect feedback, someone to maintain this site, someone has to keep an eye on support tickets, someone has to keep track of Steam releases, someone has to draft contracts for 3rd party onboarding, someone has to market the product, and most importantly (:D) someone has to improve the product for VR.

All those someone *IS* the raw material. There is no difference between lines of code, and sheets of wood, stack of metal, or buckets of concrete. They all cost money.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1