TM Warthog Assignments

mlordi

I've looked around but I haven't been able to find a good bunch of settings for my HOTAS.

I've come across the throttle overlay and other posts, but nothing definitive (yet).

Also, do most people assign the keys from within DCS or use the Target s/w?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I found a good starting point here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=179059&highlight=warthog

I'm going to persue this!

Edited by mlordi
Follow Up

Hi mlordi - just my 2 cents, I use TARGET for every module I own except the a10. My reasoning is that target lets you map multiple presses to a switch, so that operations like using the emergency ignition in the saber (cover raise, move switch) can be done by simply moving one switch on the throttle quadrant.

The only downside from my experience is that changing aircraft types in MP usually requires me to leave DCS to change profiles. Other than that, it has always done the job for me.

Multiplayer as Variable

Asus Z97-A - I7 4790K - 32 GB HyperX - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair 750i PSU

TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFDs - CH Pedals - TrackIR 5 - Samsung RU8000 55”

I mapped every switch in that cockpit in my Target profile. I'd be happy to share it but I also use MFD's and and my upfront controller for the gunsight switches, and I still have to use a few modifier and shift layers. It was a pretty tedious process and took almost a whole weekend but as the previous poster said, Target really is the best way to go. You can properly model 2 position and 3 position switches instead of just toggles. You definitely come away knowing the systems.

I would suggest playing and flying and then gradually building the profile. A lot of those switches you only use in an emergency or very rarely. You can map most of the combat critical stuff to a simple arrangement and then convert to a Target profile later. The Sabre cockpit is about as analog as it gets in DCS and sometimes the most intuitive way is just grab the mouse and flip the switch. That's the way the real Sabre pilots did it.

The thing that will get you hooked on Target is the shift layers and modifier layers. I have a standard setup for all my modules for head positioning in cockpit, zoom, comms, TrackIR center and pause, and time accelerate/ decelerate. It makes it a lot easier to jump between aircraft type when you are learning a new module and you don't have to start your controller profile from scratch. You have a template.

C:\*your computer name*\*User Name*\AppData\Roaming\Thrustmaster\TARGET\Scripts is the default path. Zip file was compressed with 7-zip. Uncompress and copy to folder and it should come up in the target menu. You might have to load it once through the file manager.

The gunsight switches are not modeled in this profile. I have those mapped to my UFC in the DCS spreadsheet. I suggest making a layer for those . If you are not familiar with Target the switch states and options might be a little confusing at first but it gets easier. The GUI is more intuitive than the in game DCS option.

DCS F-86F TARGET Controller Layout.pdf

DCS F-86 Scripts.zip

Edited by Sn8ke_iis
attached zip

Thanks Sn8ke iis, and tom 19d!

Sn8ke iis, I'm going to take your advice and build a profile gradually.

The main thing is to get up in the air! I haven't flown a sim in years and I feel the F-86 is the best way to get back into it.

np mlordi. DCS “sees” your Thrustmaster controllers differently depending on whether you are running TARGET or not. When TARGET isn’t running, in the DCS controller page you will see a column for each TM device (TM Joystick/TM Throttle/TM MFD/ect). When TARGET is running you will only see a device named “Thrustmaster Combined” with its own column.

Yes, you are able to map functions to the “Thrustmaster Combined” device directly in DCS. (At least up to a point - someone please correct me if I am wrong but I believe there will be a limitation on how many keys you can direct map if you have too many TM devices, IE the HOTAS and 2 MFDs).

However, I would avoid any direct mapping. Essentially when you build your a TARGET profile and run it, each button you press is emulating a keyboard press (or a sequence of key presses, which is the reason I choose to use TARGET at all). If you start mixing direct mapping and TARGET, it can lead to confusion, possible double presses (TARGET doing one thing and DCS doing another), and other undesirable outcomes. My advice would be to go all in with TARGET or all in with DCS.

When I start building a profile for a new airplane I print out the pages of the TM Warthog manual that show all the buttons and switches (blown up to letter size), sit down in front of the game, and write down by each button what I want it to do (NWS by the pinky latch for example). Then I go into game and see if there is a key already assigned to it (“s” perhaps). If a key is assigned I write it down or assign a key if needed and write it down. Once I have this planned out, I can start TARGET and build my profile, then test and tweak.

Welcome back to simming btw.

Multiplayer as Variable

When I build my Target Profile I pull up the keyboard template in the HTML file and do a lot of copy and pasting. I also still do almost exactly what tom does as well to have a hard copy as you're working and fine tuning. Then you copy and paste the proper nomenclature from the keyfile into the description of the function in Target. Be wary of slight variation between modules like "undercarriage" and "landing gear" and "active pause" or "pause active". There can also be conflicts from TrackIR hotkeys and a few other quirks that might cause some unintended keypresses. You just have to be very methodical in how you choose keys and modifiers.

I think the Sabre is the best jet trainer in the game. It will familiarize you with almost every modern system except Tacan, BVR missiles, and precision guided munitions. Plus you can fly historically accurate fighter bomber missions and dogfight migs.

Make sure you put the effort in to use the gunsight properly with wingspan estimation on auto and manual. When it works right you can make long distance tracking shots that you would never make by eyeballing tracers. Up close sometimes its just best to cage the sight and shoot off boresight.

From the home page of the DCS client go to the Settings cog icon>Controls Tab-(make sure F-86F Sim is in the Dropdown menu)-click MAKE HTML. You only care about the KEYBOARD.html file. This will bring up .HTML text versions of all keyboard callbacks, including ones you may assign yourself. It usually pops up in your default browser. You can keep it as a tab or print, etc. It's a lot of nomenclature, acronyms, and abbreviations so it can be a little overwhelming, but the systems and naming conventions apply to most modern jets. Just Crtl-F the functions you're looking for or scroll. Start with the basics, switches and panels needed for start up, etc. Work from panel to panel. Little chunks at a time. The training missions are very well constructed. No need to learn it all at once. It's not a real airplane, you can always press pause,:thumbup:

You can also get to it directly from outside the game as well. It usually points to a default folder in your Saved Games folder under your user name in Windows file manager.

That path is C:>(Users)>YOUR USER NAME>Saved Games>DCS.openbeta(or release)>InputlayoutsTxt>F-86F>Keyboard

The DCS spreadsheet style controller interface is awesome, you can set up all kinds of modifiers, etc. but is kind of redundant if you own Thrustmaster hardware. I like the GUI and being able to just click on the switch or button. I still use the spreadsheet for my non-thrustmaster stuff. You just have to keep everything reconciled.

Don't forget to back up everything, including printing hard copies of your final layout and keyboard files. I keep a backup of my DCSopenbeta folder from my saved games folder on a separate drive as well. That has all your custom missions, layout, pilot log, etc. With that you can restore it to any DCS install. Going through all the tedious work just to lose it is a morale killer. Unfortunately, a high fidelity sim like DCS ain't like pluggin in an XBOX. Happy flyin'

Excellent Sn8ke_iis!

I'm using "Chuck's Guide" as a starting point for the layout, it only has a handful of mappings, from there I'll advance through the training missions and then think more about it. I just need to get in the air for now : )

From the home page of the DCS client go to the Settings cog icon>Controls Tab-(make sure F-86F Sim is in the Dropdown menu)-click MAKE HTML. You only care about the KEYBOARD.html file. This will bring up .HTML text versions of all keyboard callbacks, including ones you may assign yourself. It usually pops up in your default browser. You can keep it as a tab or print, etc.

I imported the html data into excel and am having too much fun : )

Edited by mlordi

I'm working on the profile and I have a question about the event types. I'm thinking the gun fire is a "hold" type and weapon release a "pulse" type. Would that be correct?

I would recommend a hold command for both. Whether firing the guns or trying to clear all my rockets in one pass, I want the control in question to stay held down until I release it.

Multiplayer as Variable

I started testing the separate bindings and I wound up changing them all to hold. They work exactly like they would if I was using a keyboard.

It’s going to be interesting to try them out, gotta watch some football and see who wins the NASCAR championship first!

I've got things working, but my throttle seems to be controlling my rudders?????

The stick works fine. I didn't specifically bind these to anything.

When I worked on the profile I didn't see where to assign axes, I saw the curves in the first step of building the profile, but I didn't alter anything.

“Axis assign” tab on controls page in DCS. Go in, delete everything, and only map what you need. Axis assignment can really only be handled in engine...

Edited by tom_19d

Multiplayer as Variable

“Axis assign” tab on controls page in DCS. Go in, delete everything, and only map what you need. Axis assignment can really only be handled in engine...

I'm using a TM TARGET profile. Will the DCS controls page still have influence?

The only way to assign an axis is in DCS. TARGET gives you some choices to tweak axis parameters and enable/disable them entirely but it cannot tell DCS what you want an axis to do.

Multiplayer as Variable

The only way to assign an axis is in DCS. TARGET gives you some choices to tweak axis parameters and enable/disable them entirely but it cannot tell DCS what you want an axis to do.

Excellent, I know exactly what to do then.

Thank you tom_19d!

So DCS doesn't seem to like if I have the 2 throttles on the Warthog physically attached. It wants to see each one move independently. It looking for my right throttle to be thrust and the left throttle to be rudder. It won't let me control the rudder with the keyboard if I'm using the Warthog.

Does anyone else experience this??????

btw, Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow

So DCS doesn't seem to like if I have the 2 throttles on the Warthog physically attached. It wants to see each one move independently. It looking for my right throttle to be thrust and the left throttle to be rudder. It won't let me control the rudder with the keyboard if I'm using the Warthog.

How in heaven did you get to that conclusion?

For the F-86 I have my left throttle lever bound to target wingspan.

And my rudder axis is bound to to my MFG pedals. In the Bf-109 I use my left throttle for the flaps axis. Etc.

DCS comes with some stupid default settings, I grant you that. And if you have a joystick and a throttle and pedals, it will by default bind the rudder to the RZ axis on each one of these devices. But you can easily get rid of those and bind the commands as you like. Especially, you should only have one binding for every command; else the control signals from different controllers will conflict. So if your rudder is bound to any axis, you cannot control it from the keyboard. That's logical. If you want to control the rudder from the keyboard, it should not be bound to any axis.

And, for a relatively simple aircraft like the F-86 there is no need to use TARGET as a middleman. Bind your controls directly in DCS Options/Controls.

And learn before you jump to conclusions. You can get a lot of help on this forum. But if you announce that you will "go back to Falcon BMS anyway", why would anybody want to help you?

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I use my left throttle quadrant as my rudder trim.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins