Do US Carriers operate in the Persian Gulf (waterway)?

Mr_sukebe

Curious about this one as there appears to be confusion about the use of the name "Persian Gulf". Look on Google maps, and it's a quite specific area of water, bordered on it's south eastern end by the Straits of Hormuz, followed by the Gulf of Oman and then the Arabian sea.

I've read comments which talk about cruisers, destroyers and similar sailing through the Straits in the Persian Gulf itself. Do US carriers actually sail into Persian Gulf to operate there, or do they normally stay out in the Gulf of Oman and Arabian seat?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Curious about this one as there appears to be confusion about the use of the name "Persian Gulf". Look on Google maps, and it's a quite specific area of water, bordered on it's south eastern end by the Straits of Hormuz, followed by the Gulf of Oman and then the Arabian sea.

I've read comments which talk about cruisers, destroyers and similar sailing through the Straits in the Persian Gulf itself. Do US carriers actually sail into Persian Gulf to operate there, or do they normally stay out in the Gulf of Oman and Arabian seat?

Yes they do, and Charles de Gaulle too.

But it's a complicated area, and no air ops during the strait crossing...

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

They enter the Persian Gulf to launch their jets from there into Syria/Iraq/Afghanistan.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

What a silly question.

Why is it silly? It's a legit question.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

What a silly question.

Nah it's legit question. You have to infer Air Ops from the question, when he says carriers. I think really what he means in the OP is what are the rules about AirOps in the Straits of Hormuz, which is practically Iranian airspace.

It's a super sensitive area for boundaries.

And there's a huge vulnerability question about moving massive assets like a carrier through it, inside SAM and SSM missile bubbles. Carriers don't like being this close, you have to fold away the open water rulebook. I'm not privvy to the actual Ops ruleset they have to use to get through the straits but you can be sure it's tense.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

I was in San Diego this past week visiting the USS Midway, which was part of "Battle Force Zulu" in the Persian Gulf. They have the maps and screens showing the positions of the ships during operations there, and right away you get a feeling for how crowded it was. Our tour guide, a veteran, spoke to the difficulties of operating there as well. Not only were the AirOps complicated, but it's an incredibly congested waterway with all of the light oil tankers making their way to the small gulf states to offload (lighter ships empty into the ports closer to the strait, where it's then loaded into the larger supertankers for the ocean transit, our guide explained.) On the status boards you can see this with replicas of the numerous radar contacts, mostly neutral or unidentified ships.

So it's challenging, to say the least. And the presence of such a close shore means that there's not much warning time from land-based ASMs or the like. The guide seemed to indicate that sailing in there is by no means ideal...but the advantage gained from being able to launch aircraft so much closer (which equates to advantages in warload and time-on-station) made up for it.

Kozality

Vargar 1-2

107th JAS

http://throughtheinferno.com/

Thanks for confirming chaps

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

They enter the Persian Gulf to launch their jets from there into Syria/Iraq/Afghanistan.

US won't go to Afghanistan from Persian Gulf since they would have to overfly Iran.

They launch from Indian Ocean and overfly Pakistan.

Going to Syria from Persian Gulf isn't ideal, you have to fly across all Irak, but yes it's possible now.

Freedom of navigation rules state that anybody can cross a strait (no international water) but with inoffensive behavior.

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

1991 Gulf war, they used multiple carriers.And again in 2003 invasion.

It's risky to use them there due to how easy it is for anyone mount shore based missiles, attack by land based fighters (One US frigate got hit by an Exocet in 1991) or zerg rush the carrier group with fast smaller boats, but the upside is that opposing submarines will have a hard time too.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

US won't go to Afghanistan from Persian Gulf since they would have to overfly Iran.

They launch Indian Ocean and overfly Pakistan.

You're right. I should've checked the map before commentating... :music_whistling:

Tornado3 small.jpg