SPS-141 behaviour

xxJohnxx

Hello,

I have been playing around with the SPS-141-100 today, trying to figure out how active it can jam a SAM system. After some testing, I came to the conclusion that it is not even picking up a hostile radar lock as it should.

I have attached to tracks two this post.

In the first track (#1) I did not turn the SPS-141 on and I just flew straight towards the SA-3 site. At about 23km, it would fire one missile at me.

In the second track (#2) I did turn on the SPS-141 on and, again, just flew straight towards the SA-3 site. As before, the SA-3 opened fire at 23km and shot me, just like with the jammer disabled. This might even be realistic as even the SA-3 had plenty of ways to deal with a jamming target (from manually inputting range information to optical guidance).

However, my concern is, if the jammer aboard the MiG even turns on. According to the manual the red light should illuminate when painted by an enemy radar. However it doesn't, although the jammer is on and the aircraft is clearly locked.

Due to the lack of proper documentation on the subject, it is hard to tell if I am missing something (maybe another mode, although I tried various combinations of settings on the SPS panel) or if this is a bug.

Because, at this current point in time, the jammer seems to be useless in singleplayer.

Best regards,

John

#1.trk

#2.trk

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

I have tested it myself earlier against a Hawk site. "Aircraft painted by radar" light never turned on. SPO-10 RWR was showing search and lock behaviors normally. But, I am not sure, may be it does after all have some effect on SAMs.

I did two passes from high altitude, during the first one Hawk site fired 4 missiles on me, first 3 missed, 4th hit but by then I was very close, almost right above the site. Second time, they have fired on me 3 times, all missed, I have closed in and destroyed tracking radar with Kh-66.

Though, I had to manually discharge countermeasures, I was under the impression that in auto mode, it should have discharged them itself when it detects radar lock on aircraft (which it never did anyway).

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

It would be good to know if this is still WIP or if we are doing something wrong or if it is a bug.

I experienced the same thing that the pod does not recognize a radar lock if i'm clearly locked up. Also the dispenser does not fire automatically (which it can't if it detects no lock actually). Documentation would be very helpful on how to properly use it.

greets

Valken

I belive that it was likly not one of the main priortys in makeing the mig, however I do think that functualy it should work, but the auto lock dection mode is broken, or has fulty dectection codeing. but when using it manualy, it should produce the required effect, also while the spo10 is not the most amazing thing ever, it should at least provide enough to give you and idea of when your going to need the ecm turned on. going to take some pratice thought, but it would be fun to have ecm flights mixed in to your main combat cloud of fighters.

• 2 months later...

Two times I peeled in on a heavily fortified target shooting S-24s and was shredded twice by Shilka fire, there was also enemy Destroyer's (SA- 8 )in the harbor who I am pretty sure sunk a few missles into my Mig 21 as it was being torn to shreds by the Shilkas.

I took an SPS-141-100 and turned it on and dove in on the same target destroying it without even being touched. (I thought at first it was luck) but I did it multiple times. On the setup I had buttons 1, 2, 3, and 5 all flipped up

9 was down and 10 was in the middle position. (I think).

Now do I think its functioning correctly? No (keep in mind I don't know how its suppose to work either). But I do believe it helps. and in my case it worked GREAT I have big plans for future missions.

If I could figure out how it works then I will be come dangerous.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I was testing today the SPS-141 and is detecting the enemy radars, what I dont know what is the use of the ASO switch AUTO/MANUAL button in the release of flares! I tested the ASO control switch in AUTO ON (down position), and the enemy shot me down with an IR missile meanwhile I was unable to launch flares manually using the SPS-141 release button nor the ASO button.

In the second test, I switched the ASO control switch to MANUAL (up position) and then I could launch flares using the ASO and the SPS-141, is this ok?

If it was an IR missile, there is no way the SPS-141 could detect it and react.

Anyway the current modeling of the SPS-141 isn't working at all currently.

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

I wonder if they could use the code from the KB countermeasures pod and the jammer pod from the Viggen?

I know they aren't the same, but perform similar functions (apart from the advanced ELINT version) and perhaps could do the job?

I find myself flying the Viggen and the Mig 21 mostly in DCS.....Superb Sims!:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

• 1 year later...

The jamming part is working although not super effective. Automatic release of countermeasures is broken though.

However jamming does not help you a lot in the MiG-21, as it will be burned through before you are in range. Tested it online on a private server against a Mirage.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]