Modular Panel WIP

Blue73

Have you considered upgrading to a glass or mirror build plate? On the bottom face I can get a mirror finish, which after painting would look a lot better for the panel surface. (Tricking out an old shitty attack throttle using mmjoy)

41CFB532-2F8C-429E-A8D1-54F5972EFDC7.thumb.jpeg.ef64d9c61fc758beea28c62ad6f6bf55.jpeg

Hi Tom, I'll be upgrading all the top plates at a later date. I've intentionally left the top as a separate so this could be done. My plan is to print in white HIPS, sand smooth, spray with matte black filler/primer, laser etch the lettering then apply a tough semi-gloss clear top coat.

My plan for now is to get all boxes/panels completed. Also my printer doesn't allow for a glass bed, not without a mod anyway.

cheers

John.

Have you considered upgrading to a glass or mirror build plate? On the bottom face I can get a mirror finish, which after painting would look a lot better for the panel surface. (Tricking out an old shitty attack throttle using mmjoy)

Fusion360 is free for hobbyists, as long as don’t make more than 100k per year from your designs.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not a fan of subscription software that I'll only use occasionally, I'll look into FreeCAD or something similar.

Hi All,

Completed the construction of the Air Unit today. It has 2x 40mm fans PWM controlled by the slave Arduino. The shape is angular to mimic the F/A-18's air port. I've built a FET driver with an opticoupler for isolation. The bus transceiver unit has been miniaturized so all circuits can be placed along the edges. I wanted a clear path of air to pass through. Currently programming the unit. The fan's RPM is set by the cabin temperature control knob on the right. I'll spin the fans up to 100% on an eject and finally when the canopy is up measure the jets velocity and adjust the fan speed to suit. In VR having the fan blow air on your face does enhance the immersion and cools your face when it gets warm. The louvers are articulated.

JzFDNek.jpg

4tVUPGE.jpg

Cutaway from Fusion360 with the Fans removed exposing the air duct.

M9BFf6z.png

Fan base mount suspended by elastic bands to minimize vibration. Fan driver is on the right.

BD7Axfw.jpg

The air unit will be situated here.

AriFW04.jpg

cheers

John

Hi All,

Completed the construction of the Air Unit today. It has 2x 40mm fans PWM controlled by the slave Arduino. The shape is angular to mimic the F/A-18's air port. I've built a FET driver with an opticoupler for isolation. The bus transceiver unit has been miniaturized so all circuits can be placed along the edges. I wanted a clear path of air to pass through. Currently programming the unit. The fan's RPM is set by the cabin temperature control knob on the right. I'll spin the fans up to 100% on an eject and finally when the canopy is up measure the jets velocity and adjust the fan speed to suit. In VR having the fan blow air on your face does enhance the immersion and cools your face when it gets warm. The louvers are articulated.

Cutaway from Fusion360 with the Fans removed exposing the air duct.

Fan base mount suspended by elastic bands to minimize vibration. Fan driver is on the right.

The air unit will be situated here.

cheers

John

Nice, but how's the noise from those 40mm's?

Hi Aniron, I can only speak in terms of duty-cycle, at levels below 78% the fan noise is lower than the sim's fan noise. At that speed it's producing plenty enough air. I plan to crank it to 100% duty cycle though during an eject, they certainly are loud then but it will add to the ejection experience.

cheers

John

Nice, but how's the noise from those 40mm's?

Completed the air unit programming tonight, fan turns on and off when minimal oil pressure is present, this synchronizes it with the in-game cockpit ECS. As I said before when I eject the fan unit spins to 100% during the rocket sequence then comes back down to a medium level as so you descend, then eventually switches off. It will be better once I build the right fan unit to even out the air.

Designed and printed the jettison button and rotary control knob. The lettering will be lasered with the rest later. Moving onto the switch headers for the four toggles shown. The multi-selector switch is geared to take 180 degrees movement on the knob to 120 degrees movement to the switch. The switch needs to move through 5 positions with 30 degress between them.

Design

LnWOxIY.png

Printed Components

iLKAfrd.jpg

Assembled Components

to44gF2.jpg

Lower Front Face

n5Cg6Ia.jpg

Under

JZy8f6E.jpg

Completed part, minus lettering.

Kfswt3n.jpg

cheers

John

Edited by Blue73

Quick update, instead of gluing in the headers which means I can no longer remove the switch for maintenance and I'm not sure how long that would hold after a while I've opted to drill a small hole through the 3mm wide toggle switch head and insert a 1mm brass rod through the switch header. To ensure accuracy I built this jig, without it, drilling on a polished curved surface in the exact same spot would be challenging.

yRe7RRy.png

Flap Control Switch

lri97Sl.png

DSp8Dg9.jpg

pZIjlPV.jpg

TG5exJv.jpg

cheers

John

Edited by Blue73

WAU!

I’ve been following your progress and it seems you must not have a lot of time for a day job :)

Absolutely fantastic! Puts my own pit to shame though.

i9-9900K 4,9Ghz, 2080ti, 32Gb, 1Gb m.2, Index, WinWing throttle, Baur BRD-N, Crosswind pedals, Orbwiever and tm mfd`s, all in a Hornet simpit.

cheers mate :)

I have poured a boat load of hours into this, it's brought all my hobbies together so I'm having a ball. If only I didn't have to work...

WAU!

I’ve been following your progress and it seems you must not have a lot of time for a day job :)

Absolutely fantastic! Puts my own pit to shame though.