Forrestal Development Update: Deck Crew WiP!

Cobra847

Skate, again, you're answering a question that was never asked here.

Yes, DDS is a container (as I said previosly). Inside there are various things, mostly DXT compressed textures. While handled by a dedicated part of the GPU, the data contained in those files still has to be extracted and put in the pipeline for further processing. And 4k textures have 16 times more data than 1k textures, that need to be extracted and processed. Simple as that, there's no free lunch.

Yes, but this has no effect on VRAM. The size on disk is the exact amount of VRAM that will be used by the GPU to render that texture.

The GPU is blazing fast at looking up/decompressing a DXT1 dds. Your point was that those 4K textures that take up 10mb will take up hundreds of Megabytes somewhere further down the pipe, which is incorrect and wrong.

The bigger limitation with higher resolution textures (apart from their increased VRAM load) is fillrate. A 4K texture is about 0.167 GTexels, while a 2k is a mere 0.04 in comparison.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

if they were 10MB, 4K BMP or JPGs without Mipmaps, then yeah a 10MB Texture once Mipmaps were genrated would take up 40-50MB.

But a 10 MB DXT1 DDS w/ MipMaps Generated into the File would not use anymore than what it is.

to go along with that, MIPMAP Generation, and CODEC Support for JPEG/BMP etc uses the General Purpose Shaders of the GPUs to Convert to Usable Data (nVidia or AMD), and not the Dedicated Block used by the GPU for DDS.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Here are some in-game shots from yesterday. :)

DCS: Sweat Pores. :megalol:

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Looks amazing!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

FSX has nothing to do with Hardware...it's running on an ancient platform that does not utilize modern hardware advances at all. DCS in Edge is pretty easy to get very high FPS at maxed out settings. We're nowhere near an FSX type of problem.

Dude, the lesson of FSX is about a software that everybody had to buy. Whatever the product was good or bad, people just wanted it. So M$ saved money by not optimizing the software because some people said things like:

I would rather invest in hardware to drive a higher fidelity experience and I'm sure most of us are that way. The guys we fly with are constantly upgrading our rigs for just that reason....

Please don't talk for everyone, I'm sure most of us don't like it this way…

Hopefully, HB doesn't seem to be that kind of profit only oriented company.

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

I don't want to continue to go back and forth. We're taking this thread off topic. Cobra has already assured is that their work will not be a big performance hit. Let's enjoy the amazing work they've done and look forward to more content that wows us!

I also think Heatblur is so far away from a profit only oriented studio...a great example is the thread were currently on! This is extra content along with the Forrestal that represent extra efforts by Heatblur to give us a much better experience!;)

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

Deck crew looks amazing. I cannot wait to see the whole lineup you have planned and eager to see how your efforts to animate them go.

Side note: Folks, These guys are pro's at this point. Let them work and produce the best results they can. If optimization when in final phase proves some changes need to be made, they will make them. Let them work and not making sharing their efforts a nightmare for them and every share result in a debate of some kind by those not actually doing the work and questioning them on things we just cannot know.

Also, it seems there are quite a few that for some reason think that they can keep up with progress using older hardware. Sorry guys, just the nature of the beast. You will need to upgrade your hardware to retain performance once things start evolving. Hell, I have a 1080GTX and have been thinking of going to Ti for better performance in titles, not just DCS, but many more on the way from E3 that could use the hp, along with DCS that I have planned to add to my library. I know it is not a positive side note to the improvements we ALL want to see in DCS but to get to where we want it is a necessary one perhaps.

Edited by Torso

Nice - looking great Cobra, thanks for the shots!

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS: Sweat Pores. :megalol:

It will only be worth it if we have a DCS: Bodily Secretions that has a slider in the mission editor that goes to 200%.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

I have a couple questions. it may not be an issue at all but is there going to be an options to enable/disable the deck crew or will it just always be there? doesn't bother me personally but I imagine some who struggle with performance as is may want to save the frames.

also are the animations going to sync across multiplayer? like if player 1 hooks up to a cat will player 2 see all the animations at that cat?

Edited by tekrc

Good questions. It's like asking if the deck crew will be a DCS unit synched in Multiplayer or traffic that is just eyecandy like trains and cars on roads. Very different limitations on each.

I have a couple questions. it may not be an issue at all but is there going to be an options to enable/disable the deck crew or will it just always be there? doesn't bother me personally but I imagine some who struggle with performance as is may want to save the frames.

also are the animations going to sync across multiplayer? like if player 1 hooks up to a cat will player 2 see all the animations at that cat?

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

There is nothing to believe before the optimization is done and successful, and before we see by ourselves. Currently it's (commercial) anticipation words working effectively on you according to your attitude.

Maybe, maybe not. There is no way to tell until the module is released. I do expect some performance drops, it is after all a new module, but I will reserve judgement until the final program is out, and I choose to optimistically believe one of the lead developers when they say that they will keep the performance in check until that time.

The difference between me and you is that I don't prejudge based on false expectations, which themselves are based on a faulty premise.

I myself have a mid range rig, hardly top of the line, but I've managed to run all the modules to my satisfaction, including on the latest 2.1 version of DCS World and Normandy. When I see people complaining that they only get 110 FPS in the Viggen on their 1080Ti or whatever all I can do is laugh and roll my eyes, because thats all that those comments deserve.

Only 110 frames on the BEST looking module currently in DCS?! How horrible! :doh:

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Good questions. It's like asking if the deck crew will be a DCS unit synched in Multiplayer or traffic that is just eyecandy like trains and cars on roads. Very different limitations on each.

exactly

also like if a pilot ejects and walks around, no one else can see pilots moving.

I guess we should also keep in mind that it will just be the boat, aircraft, and the deck crew...in the middle of the ocean. Not a whole lot of polys required for scenery.

I mean they could have the carrier chugging along just outside the breakers off the coast, but not likely.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I guess we should also keep in mind that it will just be the boat, aircraft, and the deck crew...in the middle of the ocean. Not a whole lot of polys required for scenery.

I mean they could have the carrier chugging along just outside the breakers off the coast, but not likely.

is it? I thought the carrier was going to be a carrier like the kuznetsov we can put down wherever? though a scenery carrier would likely be more stable and would solve the current location issue on MP.

unfortunately the carrier moving is a bit of a requirement for navy fighters. the wind over deck helps the planes land at relatively lower speed to the deck. so 100 kts instead of 130 kts making it less likely to overextend or break the wire. so if HB are modelling the cat to its full extent, this will be a factor.

eager to see what happens regardless! just putting stuff out there

is it? I thought the carrier was going to be a carrier like the kuznetsov we can put down wherever? though a scenery carrier would likely be more stable and would solve the current location issue on MP.

unfortunately the carrier moving is a bit of a requirement for navy fighters. the wind over deck helps the planes land at relatively lower speed to the deck. so 100 kts instead of 130 kts making it less likely to overextend or break the wire. so if HB are modelling the cat to its full extent, this will be a factor.

eager to see what happens regardless! just putting stuff out there

?? - my statement has nothing to do with a 'scenery carrier' or whatever you mean. A carrier is generally away from land/airfields/cities etc - so no extra scenery polygons to model. Moving or otherwise.

As I said I am sure you could plonk it down just off the coast if you really wanted to.

Also sry I am not sure what you are driving at with regards to the carrier moving - is this related to your 'scenery carrier' statement?

FYI I think you will find that 'breaking the wire on landing' is prob the least of their worries regarding wind over the deck, the wire tension is specifically set for each aircraft that lands. Have a think about relative wind and stall speed for takeoff and landing instead.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

?? - my statement has nothing to do with a 'scenery carrier' or whatever you mean. A carrier is generally away from land/airfields/cities etc - so no extra scenery polygons to model.

As I said I am sure you could plonk it down just off the coast if you really wanted to.

Also sry I am not sure what you are driving at with regards to the carrier moving - is this related to your 'scenery carrier' statement?

FYI I think you will find that 'breaking the wire on landing' is prob the least of their worries regarding wind over the deck, the wire tension is specifically set for each aircraft that lands. Think relative wind and stall speed for takeoff and landing instead.

you said when at carrier would not be loading much scenery. I pointed out on a different issue to do with carriers/ships, a way that could possibly fix the issue of current carriers and ships in multiplayer. the locations to not match between clients and was curious if it was a plan to make it fixed scenery in the new map. last time I did anything with a carrier in multiplayer the locations were off by over .5nm friend and I flew helis out and both landed on carrier. then looked to find the other just floating on nothing.

breaking the wire is related to a few things. but that 30 kt difference at touchdown is important especially for the heavy planes like the cat. if a carrier is stationary that wire has to arrest a LOT more force than it would if the carrier is in motion which will often be too much. so no.... not really the least of my worries. if the carrier is too slow in combination with the aircraft's inertia, you dont stop.

not sure what you're getting at with stall speed. carrier approaches are all carried out at a set aoa. in the cats case its about 15 degrees usually close to 130 kts putting you close to stall speed but approach is flown by aoa indexer more than by approach speed. stall speed doesnt change if the carrier is moving or not. but the speed you move in relation to the deck and wires do.

my point of carrier moving was related to the issue of the cat has being so heavy it can break wires if its going too fast. (like any other plane but its a lot easier when you're heavy/over weight). you never see a video of a plane landing or taking off from a stopped carrier. the WOD allows the system to arrest and or launch heavier and faster aircraft with less effort than it could at a stand still with the same load limitation meaning less wear and tear. like I said before, it would be arresting 100 kts velocity instead of 130.

hope what I was saying makes a little more sense now. I jumble things together when im tired

Edited by tekrc

... I jumble things together when im tired

And like to explain basic aerodynamics to an ex air force flight engineer & Airbus a/c design engineer it seems. :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And like to explain basic aerodynamics to an ex air force flight engineer & Airbus a/c design engineer it seems. :thumbup:

Well I have no way of knowing that! :thumbup: my friend is a structural engineer for Boeing on the BOne. and some other stuff now too kc135s and something else I cant remember at the moment.

but my dad and uncle were both on carriers. dad was a red shirt on 66 and uncle was a crew member on the A6 on enterprise in vietnam I believe. we talked about stories and various carrier and other stuff a lot. It was actually my uncle I was showing the video to who pointed out the odd bounce in the first place

Edited by tekrc