=BURNING SKIES= WWII Server

eekz

A war is still.. a war. More airfields so one can choose his aircraft would cope justt fine with them vultures. Actually, vulching is necessary to deny the enemy fighters. The best way to kill an enemy plane is.. it being on the ground.. ;)

This is not war! It’s a simulation meant to be mutually fun for all. Experienced and non experienced alike. If a new player tries the server and can’t takeoff because he’s being vulched, he’s not gonna think “oh this is war” he’s gonna think “screw this, this sucks” and go back to SP and may never try MP again. That leads to a dying server! And sense some apparently lack the gentleman’s approach of letting people actually take off and climb. We do need something in place to desuade players from vulching. I would like to see more players playing on the server not being pushed out for others “killing ego”. More players mean a thriving server with more targets leading to more fun for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

This is not war! It’s a simulation meant to be mutually fun for all. Experienced and non experienced alike. If a new player tries the server and can’t takeoff because he’s being vulched, he’s not gonna think “oh this is war” he’s gonna think “screw this, this sucks” and go back to SP and may never try MP again. That leads to a dying server! And sense some apparently lack the gentleman’s approach of letting people actually take off and climb. We do need something in place to desuade players from vulching. I would like to see more players playing on the server not being pushed out for others “killing ego”. More players mean a thriving server with more targets leading to more fun for everyone.

This ain't an aerobatic or free flight server either. Fun is where you deny your opponent's move.. just like in chess for example. This server IS an airquake server though, we wait for both ED and eekz to further develop the missions to satisfy more people. I personally vulch when I get very bored waiting for the allies planes to take off..

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

This ain't an aerobatic or free flight server either. Fun is where you deny your opponent's move.. just like in chess for example. This server IS an airquake server though, we wait for both ED and eekz to further develop the missions to satisfy more people. I personally vulch when I get very bored waiting for the allies planes to take off..

It’s all good man, as long as your having your fun at the expense of others.

=BURNING SKIES= WWII Server

As with many things in life there is beginner, intermediate, experienced categories. I would suggest Burning Skies is full switch and falls into the experienced server category. There are other servers that have labels on etc and that is where FNG’s cut there teeth and as they gain experience then they graduate to full switch. Gotta start at the bottom before you can get to the top.

Edited by FA_Crazy-Canuck

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks, you’ve convinced me...

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

THERE IS NO BALANCE per the DCS environment.

It is not possible to build a mission, which allows players to do what ever they wish, and expect the mission creators to balance it for all situations. There are no constraints for how many aircraft may and/or must be occupied per side, because players cannot simply switch sides. They may not own the aircraft on the other side, or may not wish to fly them at this time, even if they did. But the point is mute, because such balance cannot be enforced.

This means there will only be balance coincidentally at times. And if one side has the overhand, and exploits it by strafing the underdog's airfields, giving them no chance to defend themselves, there's then no point in being on the server on the disadvantaged side. But that's already been pointed out.

Burning Skies has to decide the rules of the mission. I can see no way to enforce--you can strafe the enemy airfields, but just a little bit. It would required a referee to be on hand at all times who could send one side back to their own airfield if vulching got out of hand, which is apparently often the case.

If you want to strafe ground targets, Burning Skies could setup enough for them to be available all the time. You could have static targets all over the place. You could have truck convoys periodically, move from A to B, or C to D and then unspawn those that arrive. It could be done over and over again so that there are always truck targets somewhere on the roads.

If you absolutely want to strafe an airfield, some of the many airfields toward the center of the map could be setup with static targets, waiting to be wasted. You could probably script AI aircraft to simply spawn in small groups, takeoff, fly a bit, land and unspawn, and players could smash them up all they wanted and nobody would complain. Rinse and replete for mission duration.

But I suspect, some players would not be satisfied unless the targets they are strafing contain another player, which means, the point is not strafing ground targets--trucks or aircraft--, but being a sadistic little twat who gets off on strafing another player who has no chance to defend himself and feeling superior because he's really just a little piss-ant.

For all other situations there are reasonable solutions to be found. For the last, there are only radical solutions, which cause an inordinate amount of work for Burning Skies and spoils everybody else's fun.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Do you know what the pilots did during the war if their base was being attacked while they were on the ground? Not at thing, because trying to take off would have been suicide. Why should anything else be expected from the players? Just so that you can have a live, defenseless target? Grow up a little. It's not all about you.

If you can't handle being restricted from strafing an airfield, maybe it is you who should suck it up or go somewhere else. You are not the measure of all things, regardless of how you might wish it.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Or you know, you could spawn at the other airfield you have available........

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

Yes, if you haven't already spawned in. But if you haven't already spawned in, you probably don't know that your airfield is being spawn-spammed.

Once you are already spawned in, you can only switch aircraft and airfields, which is equivalent to suicide, which counts as a death on your record, just because you were unlucky enough to be stuck with a spawn-spammer.

It's really ridiculous. I've played other games where player could spawn-spam. Only the childish just had to do it, even though requested over and over again. On servers with mature players it was never an issue.

And since there was not always an admin around to kick spawn-spammers, some maps had to be rebuilt so that spawn-spamming wasn't possible.

It's always the few lowest examples of humans f*cking things up for the majority; causing all the work for other to prevent their childishness.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

Yes, if you haven't already spawned in. But if you haven't already spawned in, you probably don't know that your airfield is being spawn-spammed.

Once you are already spawned in, you can only switch aircraft and airfields, which is equivalent to suicide, which counts as a death on your record, just because you were unlucky enough to be stuck with a spawn-spammer.

It's really ridiculous. I've played other games where player could spawn-spam. Only the childish just had to do it, even though requested over and over again. On servers with mature players it was never an issue.

And since there was not always an admin around to kick spawn-spammers, some maps had to be rebuilt so that spawn-spamming wasn't possible.

It's always the few lowest examples of humans f*cking things up for the majority; causing all the work for other to prevent their childishness.

Here here

Do you know what the pilots did during the war if their base was being attacked while they were on the ground? Not at thing, because trying to take off would have been suicide. ...

Actually, reality and a game are different things.

Yes, it was suicide to try to take off under an attack of an airfield. But, it was also suicidal to attack an airfield by one fighter! Isn't it?

Burning skies server (ie map, AAA etc) or/and specific of DCS allows you to "hold under control" whole airfield by one little fighter without any consequences for the fighter. It is kind of fantastic. Maybe there were such situations during WWII but not systematically.

Moreover, if you have Spitfire and you took off under attack - you can do nothing. Why? Because Me-109K can run away without any problems.

So, according to these facts in the DCS, Germans had to destroy ALL England's airfields, destroy all England's planes etc etc. As we know from the history it is not true.

Why didn't it happen?

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat.

We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

Visit our website:

VIRTUAL-PILOTS.COM

Hey sure if the 1 little minus point on your make believe K/D bothers you that much then by all means lets just put back in the uber flak so that everyone who flies too badly to win a dogfight can run away and hide over the base until the coast is clear enough for him to climb back to outer space again.

tbh it's the same 2 or 3 people actually strafing every time anyway. Just ban them and be done with this nonsense.

• Like 1

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

It comes down to the airfields are just much to close IMO. Too easy to takeoff fly 5 minutes and be on top of the enemy base. Just my thoughts

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]1000 miles of road will take you around town, a 1000 feet of runway can take you around the world...unless your in a Huey, you can go anywhere with no runway in a Huey!

multiplayer name ''DustOff=3=6''

It comes down to the airfields are just much to close IMO. Too easy to takeoff fly 5 minutes and be on top of the enemy base. Just my thoughts

When I get forced to Fly 15 Minutes and spot nothing from our current 5 Players with not so optimal Spotting system, I will stay especially now on top of the enemy Base to find some one...

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

It comes down to the airfields are just much to close IMO.

Yes, it is true that aifields are close to each other, but there are not a lot of pilots on the server. If they increase the distance between airfields - pilots won't find each other at all.

... who flies too badly to win a dogfight can run away and hide
Is it kinda a superman speech lol.gif

... I will stay especially now on top of the enemy Base...

So, question is - how it possible that you stay over enemy airbase? AAAs are not enough effective? How to prevent that somebody could stay long time over enemy airbase?

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat.

We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

Visit our website:

VIRTUAL-PILOTS.COM

What about more flak zones sporadically placed and increasing in density the closer to the home airfields? You could almost divide the map and show a line thats indicated from this xxx point this is German controlled territory expect resistance etc?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]1000 miles of road will take you around town, a 1000 feet of runway can take you around the world...unless your in a Huey, you can go anywhere with no runway in a Huey!

multiplayer name ''DustOff=3=6''

Actually, reality and a game are different things.

I agree. I was referring to somebody's Reality-Argument™ ;)

Yes, it was suicide to try to take off under an attack of an airfield. But, it was also suicidal to attack an airfield by one fighter! Isn't it?

I couldn't even guess how much AAA was stationed at which airfield or ALG at which time. From what I've read, one didn't press the attack on an airfield for more than 1 or 2 passes, because there were other airfields nearby, and one would be affording aircraft from those airfields to takeoff in numbers and attack the attackers.

Also, one thing about AAA, once an entire battery was alerted and coordinated, the chance of hitting the enemy greatly increase. So after the initial attack, chances of surviving additional strafing runs greatly decrease, so you wouldn't want to do that. I don't think this is modeled in DCS. AAA is immediately and completely aware of an enemy as soon as the enemy is withing range, if not before. But the AAA's effectiveness doesn't increase. So if you can manage the AAA on your first attack, why break off, because it's not going to get any worse. Besides, there are so few other players in the game in general, there's nobody to come to help defend an airfield. It might as well be all alone on the map.

Burning skies server (ie map, AAA etc) or/and specific of DCS allows you to "hold under control" whole airfield by one little fighter without any consequences for the fighter. It is kind of fantastic. Maybe there were such situations during WWII but not systematically.

Moreover, if you have Spitfire and you took off under attack - you can do nothing. Why? Because Me-109K can run away without any problems.

So, according to these facts in the DCS, Germans had to destroy ALL England's airfields, destroy all England's planes etc etc. As we know from the history it is not true.

Why didn't it happen?

The question in my mind is simple, does Burning Skies want there to be no attacks on any airfields, only on certain airfield, or on all airfield?

And the question of AAA is, how dangerous should it be? Should it be equally dangerous on all airfields etc, or prohibitively heavy on some, and lighter on others?

I personally don't think WWII AAA is going to do what Burning Skies is expecting of it, but that's speculation on my part. As I already stated, I've seen Air-Quake missions with 10 ZU-23 protecting the airfields. Although they are far better than the WWII era AAA, they still got strafed out of existence, leaving the airfield completely exposed. Should one expect Bofors and FlaK 30's to be better? I have my doubts.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

What about more flak zones sporadically placed and increasing in density the closer to the home airfields? You could almost divide the map and show a line thats indicated from this xxx point this is German controlled territory expect resistance etc?

The problem with flooding the map with AAA, even if lighter in some areas and heavier on others, is that it's going to cause performance hits at some point.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

Surely the easy solution is have several different air bases that can be chosen, such that it's virtually impossible to vulch all of them.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Surely the easy solution is have several different air bases that can be chosen, such that it's virtually impossible to vulch all of them.

Would be a good idea for the next mission to include multiple airfields at different distances from the frontline to allow people to make their own decisions.

As a 2 decade veteran of WWII online games and event design, I would suggest there is no effective way to prevent vulching other than player airstarts.

Rules and gentlemanly agreements are probably the worst choice as the server will become populated with jailhouse lawyers litigating every guns pass.

AAA at a level strong enough to prevent it will result in players reluctant to leave the safe haven of AAA.

AI defense fighters have the same result as strong AAA.

Multiple fields to choose from is a double edge sword unless server population is high. Players start playing hide and seek.

An airstart far enough back to equal the time to start taxi and climb is the most equitable option. It means the vulcher has to worry about another threat axis and doesn't give the air start pilot any real advantage except over the vulched airfield.

In DCS I see vulching on every server I have spent any time in (mostly no missile servers but then BVR is basically vulching EZ mode)

• Like 1

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

Have Spitfires been pulled from the server due to the mass disconnects? I was disappointed to log in today and have no Spits available. I tried out the Mustang, but just got eaten alive as I'm too used to the Spit's ability to turn its way out of trouble...

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Do you know what the pilots did during the war if their base was being attacked while they were on the ground? Not at thing, because trying to take off would have been suicide. Why should anything else be expected from the players? Just so that you can have a live, defenseless target? Grow up a little. It's not all about you.

If you can't handle being restricted from strafing an airfield, maybe it is you who should suck it up or go somewhere else. You are not the measure of all things, regardless of how you might wish it.

im just curious who u are refering too?