power set lim ???

hi. I am flying in a very high mountainous area.

so I need to raise the collective very high.

then if I raise it too high, 2 lights come on -

LH Power set lim

RH Power set lim

can I continue to fly with these lights on?

is it safe to fly with the warning lights on ?

thanks.

Excerpt from the manual:

OcRavPN.jpg

It means that, as long as your electronic engine governor is activated, you won't have more power if you go beyond the limit or stay exactly at the limit. Because you commanded over-speed power but the governor prevented the engine from executing your command.

As long as this system is activated, there is no need to go beyond the limit. You may deactivate the system but that will probably damage the system and you'll end up crashing after some time (actually haven't tried that :D).

If you can not climb the mountains by exactly staying at the power limit (try to climb very slowly, it just may take some time), you won't be able to climb the mountains.

Be aware that climbing the big mountains in the Caucasus map with the Black Shark is very hard if you have combat load or much fuel on board.

Its a strange area for a helo like the Black Shark, maybe the mission designer has not known this while sending you out there.

Edited by Zabuza

You may deactivate the system but that will probably damage the system and you'll end up crashing after some time (actually haven't tried that :D).

should give it a go some time. you can get impressive horizontal speeds and climb rates... for about 90 seconds.

I think the governor limits exhaust temperature as well as RPM, so you can get a small performance boost without disengaging the governor by turning off the anti-dust/ice system. Just don't leave it off under icing conditions or when you are hovering at low altitude (I've killed engines this way).

I think the governor limits exhaust temperature as well as RPM, so you can get a small performance boost without disengaging the governor by turning off the anti-dust/ice system. Just don't leave it off under icing conditions or when you are hovering at low altitude (I've killed engines this way).

I never use anti-dust when flying at anything over 50 meters AGL. Turn it on for FARP operations, NoE flying, and terrain-masked fighting positions. Outside of those regimes, all leaving it on does is stop you forgetting to turn it on.

Anti-ice, however, is a must when flying at altitude or winter conditions. I managed to lose both engines to icing doing On the Other Side once. Autorated back down the whole length of that last valley before the ridge, frantically working to restart the engines. That was a rush.

Yes, but its totally unnecessary to activate the light. Explanation in the second post.

Short summary: It's a warning that you commanded "over-speed power" but your system prevents the engine from executing it. So you could also just not command "over-speed power", the light will stay off and you have the same power than before (since the system would limit you anyways).

Alternative: Deactivate the electronic engine governor and you can go to over-speed, enjoy flying with much more power for about 90 seconds, then crash :D

Edited by Zabuza
  • Like 1

OK, that's very interesting. a little bit confusing though.

simple question.

can I fly along with

LH Power set lim

RH Power set lim

lights on ?

you can, but it's pointless. If you want to get maximum continuous power out of your aircraft, back off a fraction at a time when you see that light come on, just until the point it goes out. Any power setting applied while those lights are on only has the effect of slowing your rotors down.

• Like 1

I never use anti-dust when flying at anything over 50 meters AGL. Turn it on for FARP operations, NoE flying, and terrain-masked fighting positions. Outside of those regimes, all leaving it on does is stop you forgetting to turn it on.

Anti-ice, however, is a must when flying at altitude or winter conditions. I managed to lose both engines to icing doing On the Other Side once. Autorated back down the whole length of that last valley before the ridge, frantically working to restart the engines. That was a rush.

Indeed. I'm pretty sure that most people leave the anti-dust on all the time (as that is what the tutorial tells you to do).

OK, that's very interesting. a little bit confusing though.

simple question.

can I fly along with

LH Power set lim

RH Power set lim

lights on ?

It's informing that you are using the full power from the engines and can't provide more. Warning you that if you still need to climb you need to gain lift in other ways.

To prevent you from asking too much power from the engines, which would break them. There is an electric governor limiting the power to certain safety point. You may disable governor for both engines, but it will most certainly break them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]             

http://dcsfinland.fi

Suomalainen DCS Yhteisö

• 10 months later...

I had this "issue" (i am still learning this heli), and did according the manual. Switching off the EEG switches.

However nothing really happened, and those two warning lights were still lit on.

Is there something more to do, like flipping more switches?

| A-10C | MiG-21bis | Hawk T1.A | L-39 Albatros | F-5E | Ka-50 | Mi-8 | NTTR | CA | SU27 | M2000C | F-86F | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Mig 15 | Mig 19|

Specs

Intel i7-9700k

msi GTX 2060 Gaming Z

msi Z390 Gaming PLUS

16gb RAM

Hotas Warthog

I had this "issue" (i am still learning this heli), and did according the manual. Switching off the EEG switches.

Where does it say so in the manual? Sounds like the only safe thing that disabling the limiter/EEG does is to kill the engines...

Operating engines in extreme modes

[...]

If electronic engine governor fails the collective needs to be controlled carefully so that

ОГРАН. РЕЖ. indicator does not light up when RT-6-12 temperature regulator is still

functional (it works only in indication mode when engine governor is off). If RT-6-12 fails

the only way to maintain engine operation within limits is by checking engine status

gauges in particular ensuring that the gas temperature is below 980℃.

However nothing really happened, and those two warning lights were still lit on.

Is there something more to do, like flipping more switches?

How about reducing engine power?

The engines can take some punishment, but if the chopper is too heavy or you're asking too much, there's only so much they can do. Try climbing at optimum climb speed, which is 150 kph IIRC (or might be 120 kph, somewhere in that region).

I think what I read was if you deactivate EEG you can remove power limits. And it is what it is being said in this thread.

Why should I reduce power? It happens mostly when I need some extra from a stationary position

More precisely, even at low altitudes, after I get to the spot where I want to shoot from (say I have half fuel, and standard weapons on low altitudes, nothing more demanding than a takeoff), I can't climb those few meters higher because of the limitation

| A-10C | MiG-21bis | Hawk T1.A | L-39 Albatros | F-5E | Ka-50 | Mi-8 | NTTR | CA | SU27 | M2000C | F-86F | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Mig 15 | Mig 19|

Specs

Intel i7-9700k

msi GTX 2060 Gaming Z

msi Z390 Gaming PLUS

16gb RAM

Hotas Warthog

Best climb speed is 180km/h iirc.

When fully fueled and armed it is very hard to hover in the mountains, yes !

Nonetheless you can get the job done and with each Vikhr you fire, every kilogramm of fuel you burn it gets easier.

Sometimes its no good idea to load it up to max if you know what you have to do and where ! Sometimes less is more.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Ok thank you.

But simply put, is it possible to gain a bit of altitude from a stationary hover, bypassing the power limiter without the need to gain speed?

Specs

Intel i7-9700k

msi GTX 2060 Gaming Z

msi Z390 Gaming PLUS

16gb RAM

Hotas Warthog

It's informing that you are using the full power from the engines and can't provide more. Warning you that if you still need to climb you need to gain lift in other ways.

To prevent you from asking too much power from the engines, which would break them. There is an electric governor limiting the power to certain safety point. You may disable governor for both engines, but it will most certainly break them.

But is this something that actually happens in the simulator? I've never managed to do any apparent damage to the engines.

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

More precisely, even at low altitudes, after I get to the spot where I want to shoot from (say I have half fuel, and standard weapons on low altitudes, nothing more demanding than a takeoff), I can't climb those few meters higher because of the limitation

Okay, so if I understand you correctly, you'd rather destroy your engines than figure out how to properly fly the helicopter? These engines aren't throw-away articles, plus you need them to carry you away from the guys you're just about to fire on. I fail to see the wisdom in your request.

No, to my knowledge you can't just flick a few switches and magically gain engine power. It might be possible for a couple of seconds, but even so you risk damaging the engines, and are most probably limiting their service life.

If you prefer to hover, do it in ground effect. If you don't actually need to hover, engage from forward flight, and your engine power problems will "simply" go away. It seems to me you're trying to use the chopper in a way it was simply not intended. The solution is not technical but tactical.

How long are the missions you're talking about? If they don't take too long, you could post a track so that we can actually see what you're trying to achieve. Or if you post a Tacview recording, we'd still be able to go through actual examples. :thumbup:

But is this something that actually happens in the simulator? I've never managed to do any apparent damage to the engines.

I'm pretty sure I once damaged my engines while operating at the limit for too long. However, the actual damage might have come from icing which I failed to detect and counter in time. In any case, I think the engine modelling goes deep enough to account for too much RPM/EGT and have them fail accordingly.

I don't want to destroy engines. All I was asking for is if there is the possibity to remove such limiter.

Will it ruin the engines (eventually)? Ok let me have a try. Exceeding its limits will make me learn more of it. My wisdom tends to improve after I crash something, it is a reminder to not do that agai

Unfortunately I have no tracks atm, I always played on Blue Flag server. Flights tend to be nearly a hour long

Specs

Intel i7-9700k

msi GTX 2060 Gaming Z

msi Z390 Gaming PLUS

16gb RAM

Hotas Warthog

I don't want to destroy engines. All I was asking for is if there is the possibity to remove such limiter.

Will it ruin the engines (eventually)? Ok let me have a try. Exceeding its limits will make me learn more of it. My wisdom tends to improve after I crash something, it is a reminder to not do that agai

Unfortunately I have no tracks atm, I always played on Blue Flag server. Flights tend to be nearly a hour long

What he was trying to say is that you don't have to exceed the limits if you fly differently.

Are you familiar with translational lift? Basically, if you want to climb, fly forward at 180kmh or so and you'll get a lot more "bang for your buck" in terms of engine power. Trying to climb vertically puts a huge amount of stress on the engines and results in a rather disappointing climb rate.

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.