Wow I really like this sim.

DmitriKozlowsky

Taking advantage of free trial offer. I am really impressed with this module. Hopefully the community will welcome me.

Its performance in the air, is really phenom. I get between 90-130 FPS in the air in Instant Action missions.

But Hornet struggles with FPS on the tarmac, especially when it is near other F-18Cs, AI C legacy Hornets, Lot20 AI, and F-16C (AI Blk52 and AI Blk50). Between 37-55. Not great, but confined to tarmac . Once in the air, FPS climbs up very fast.

I could not resist, so in Inst Action/Nevada/Free Flight flew until gas was bingo, then did the Cobra. Slowed down to 150 knots, then snap stick aft full. Hornet stood on its end, low speed, and stall warning screamed. Allowed natural nose down, the a/c did loose 5K of altitude before low speed warnings stopped, but aircraft never departed. No deep stalls, no inadvertent yaw, and no compressor stall. I kind of expected compressor stall because of very fast onset of AOA, and C does not have raked intakes. Perhaps the LEXR serve to push and guide air into intakes at high AOA.

Does it really have a professional flight model?In Nevada free flight, aircraft had no stores except gun ammo.

Normal field landing is absurdly easy, with 150 knot at threshold. Wheel brakes, are weak IMHO. After t/d, hold nose until it settles, then stick full fwd so that elevators act as spoilers, and press front gear into runway, apply wheel brakes. Takes too long to stop. Landing at Creech , in Instant Action/Free flight with QNH 29.92, took almost all of runway. In Georgia map, landing at Kabuleti, I ran out of runway. But I figure that it was something I did not do right.

Flying pattern at 160-170 knots is very nice and docile.

I'll probably get this module, as I am locked down in LA right now anyway.

Glad you're enjoying it! It's very awesome.

Normal field landing is absurdly easy, with 150 knot at threshold. Wheel brakes, are weak IMHO. After t/d, hold nose until it settles, then stick full fwd so that elevators act as spoilers, and press front gear into runway, apply wheel brakes.

Make sure you're under max landing weight. 150knots sounds kinda fast, either you were heavy, or you were fast. Use the AOA Indexer to the left of the HUD. You want to see a steady doughnut. Went the wrong way with the stick, pull it back, not forwards. No brakes on the nose wheel, no sense pushing it into the pavement while lifting the main wheels (the ones with the brakes) off of it. It's got antiski just stand on those pedals, don't pump them. You should be able to get it stopped no problem... a lot of people reported these exact same problems as you every now and then.:music_whistling:

Enjoy your time with her!

After touch down quickly throttle up a bit then back to idle to make sure you get the throttle to ground idle. This will ensure you slow down faster. Doesn't hurt to put the boards out as well.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Amd Fx 8350 4.3 GHz - MSi Gtx 1060 6gb - 16gb DDR3

A-10C - AV8B - F-5E - Mig-21 - FC3 - CA - UH-1H - Black Shark - AJ3-37 - M-2000C - F-16C Viper - F-86F - Spitfire - Fw-190 - F/A-18C - F-14 - Normandy - NTTR - Persian Gulf

Agree, after touch down, quick throttle up and back to get ground idle, extend air brakes, slow to 100, apply wheel brakes and full back on stick...

Really annoys me that identically loaded AI 18's can land and exit Batumi at second left exit, I've never managed it!!!

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

The F-16 and F-18 seems to run very long in runways and difficult to get stopped.

Compared example Su-27 where you can push brakes and fighter stops almost like on the wall with engines higher than idle.

With F-16 I can't even begin to get it stopped with engines idle at same time. Like if I have engines on idle and I release brakes and let it roll 5 meters and then apply full breaking, it takes over 5 meters to stop. And this with 400lbs fuel and empty pylons.

Similar thing is with hornet, you can't really get it stopped on short landing.

No wonder that Super Hornet has only third of the distance required for landing than classic hornet.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Welcome Dimitri!

You have joined a great community who can be most helpful whenever you have questions or face a dilemma.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

In Instant Action/Free Flight A/C was empty and fuel below bingo. Even w/o RTFM, I reckon that a/c was well below max weight.

But stick back instead of FWD is something I did not do. Not knowing about it. Wouldn't the a/c jump into air, and landing becomes a touch&go or missed appr?

Noticed that in this Hornet, once gear down and flaps full down, airbrake is disabled.

I often heard that Mig-29 is Russian analogue of F-16. But F-16 was designed to counter Mig-21. I think that Fulcrum is Russian analogue to Hornet, and vice versa. Two share many features.

I never understood the lousy brakes? I know they aren't needed on the boat but the Marines also have the plane.

Don't land heavy, boards out, stick back, flaps full, barely need brakes. It seems (purely perception) that DCS pilots can't live without wings full of death and JP5. Landing close to max weight is bad for a lot of things, including stopping distance.

A full bag of internal gas and NOTHING ELSE (not even pylons) puts you over max trap weight. There's a reason we dump millions of pounds of JP5 on deployments. Doing our part to combat global cooling.

Noticed that in this Hornet, once gear down and flaps full down, airbrake is disabled.

If break is out and you put gear down it will automatically retract. Nothing should stop you from extending it again afterwards. I usually wait until after touch down to extend it.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Amd Fx 8350 4.3 GHz - MSi Gtx 1060 6gb - 16gb DDR3

A-10C - AV8B - F-5E - Mig-21 - FC3 - CA - UH-1H - Black Shark - AJ3-37 - M-2000C - F-16C Viper - F-86F - Spitfire - Fw-190 - F/A-18C - F-14 - Normandy - NTTR - Persian Gulf

Don't land heavy, boards out, stick back, flaps full, barely need brakes. It seems (purely perception) that DCS pilots can't live without wings full of death and JP5. Landing close to max weight is bad for a lot of things, including stopping distance.

A full bag of internal gas and NOTHING ELSE (not even pylons) puts you over max trap weight. There's a reason we dump millions of pounds of JP5 on deployments. Doing our part to combat global cooling.

I didn't say I have a problem landing. I said it has lousy brakes.

Buzz

Yes, I guess we couldn't call them brakes if they didn't stop the plane. They just do a lousy job of it. :)

They work good on the boat. :)

Well...if you over shoot the runway take a hard left, then a right at the light, then the next left and swing through the carry out for a quick snack. Make sure you fold the wings first.

:joystick:

Yep brakes do seem weak. I always try to find a runway of 6500 or more. Also I usually do a straight-in but using AOA same as a carrier trap. That way you are normally at about 130-135k. And I work real hard on the approach to get on the ground as early as possible so I don't waste runway. Pop the air brake as soon as wheels hit, at 100 hit brakes and pull stick fully back. I also need to work on my throttle so I can pull it past the extra stop to get ground idle vs flight idle. It took me quite a while to get the AB working correctly w/ the modified stop so I have just left ground idle for another day, or maybe another year.

I don't know if this is procedure and if it will even work and if it does work maybe the benefits will not outweigh the cost.

But raising the flaps after touchdown would, in theory, reduce lift and thus increase wheel traction which would improve brake performance. But flaps will also cause drag which will act as an airbrake. So maybe the loss of drag will outweigh the gains in traction. Worth a shot maybe?