DCS: Mi-24P - What we know + Discussion

MrDieing

Lately the fact that there is one thread where two aircraft are being discussed at the same time, has itched me. Thats why I created this thread, to keep it all organized and clear for everybody. There is not an awful lot known about this module yet but as time progresses and more news comes I will update this thread including pictures. For now this will be a comprehensive overview of the variant that we are getting, the Mi-24P. I also suggest that we continue future discussion on this module here in order to prevent two discussions running through each other.

New additions in green

Needs confirmation

Mi-24P General characteristics

• Crew: 2–3: pilot, weapons system officer and technician (optional)
  • Capacity: 8 troops or 4 stretchers or 2400 kg (5,291 lb) cargo on an external sling
  • Length: 17.51 m (57 ft 5 in)
  • Rotor diameter: 17.3 m (56 ft 9 in)
  • Wingspan: 6.5 m (21 ft 3 in)
  • Height: 6.5 m (21 ft 3 in)
  • Disc area: 235 m2 (2,530 ft2)
  • Empty weight: 8,200 kg (18,078 lb)
  • Max. takeoff weight: 12,000 kg (26,500 lb)
  • Powerplant: 2 × Isotov TV3-117 turbines, 1,600 kW (2,200 hp) each

Performance

• Maximum speed: 335 km/h (208 mph, 180 kt) / 270km/h cruise / 217 km/h economical
  • Range: 500 km / 1000 km with four fuel tanks / 160 km combat radius / 288 km combat radius with four fuel tanks
  • Fuel: 1840 L internal - 500 L tanks on each hardpoint
  • Service ceiling: 4,500 m (14,750 ft)

Armor

• Protected against 12.7mm all around, incl rotor blades, cockpit resistant to 37mm rounds

Avionics/Self defense

• Electro optical sight ASP-17V (similar to ASP-17, which is the gunsight on the Su-25) (Possibly with laser-rangefinder, depends on modification)
  • IFF

• RWR
  • IR Jammer
  • Flares
  • Optional heat diffusers

Armament Bear in mind, none of these weapons have been confirmed nor denied.

Internal gun

• fixed twin-barrel GSh-30-2K 30mm autocannon. 250 rounds of uranium depleted shell ammunition. 300 rpm (low) / 2,000 - 2,600 rpm (high)

External stores

• Total payload is 1,500 kg of external stores.
  • Inner hardpoints can carry at least 500 kg
  • Outer hardpoints can carry up to 250 kg

Bomb-load

• Bombs within weight range (presumably ZAB, FAB, RBK, ODAB etc.), Up to 500 kg.
  • MBD multiple ejector racks (presumably MBD-4 with 4 × FAB-100)
  • KGMU2V submunition/mine dispenser pods

Gunpods/rockets/missiles

• GUV-8700 gunpod (with a 12.7 mm Yak-B + 2 × 7.62 mm GShG-7.62 mm combination or one 30 mm AGS-17)
  • UB-32 S-5 57mm rocket launchers
  • S-24 240 mm rockets
  • S-13 122mm rockets
  • UPK-23-250 gunpod carrying the twin-barrel GSh-23L 23mm autocannon (3,400 - 3,600 rpm)
  • B-8V20. A lightweight long tubed helicopter version of the S-8 80mm rocket launcher
  • 9K114 Shturm (AT-6 Spiral) radio guided ATGM in pairs on the outer/middle pylons

Possible armament (Depends aircraft modification we are getting, either early or late P)

• 9M120 Ataka missiles: guidance is apparently identical to Shturm, and a page from Mi-24 manual from 80s listed Ataka among weapon possibilities. Ataka has a bigger warhead, somewhat higher speed, longer range, and option for a blast/frag warhead. Basically a next-gen Shturm
  • R-60 air to air missiles: some Mi-24s in Germany were modified to carry these. But that is more of a special modification than a general ability of Mi-24
  • 7.62mm machine gun on cargo bay door

Confirmed features / Special Options

• Control Helper - as in Mi-8 maybe
  • Rudder Trimmer - as in Mi-8
  • Autopilot Adjustment -not needed, in Mi-24P the autopilot and press button trim are interrelated
  • Trimmer Mode - probably as in Mi-8
  • Max FOV adjustment
  • Cockpit Camera Shake
  • Multicrew

Pictures of the real thing

Mil_Mi-24P%2C_Russia_-_Air_Force_AN2254510.jpg

232491.jpg

Mi-24-001.jpg

Update 04/01/2019

attachment.php?attachmentid=200712&stc=1&d=1545895413

We have certainly not forgotten about all the rotor-heads! Work continues the deadly Mi-24P HIND. Using many of the same systems as the Mi-8MTV2, this project is well underway and will be a great addition to the stable of DCS World helicopters.

With the advancements in our terrain technology and the ability to create much more detailed low-altitude environments, the HIND will be a joy to fly. Combining both gunship and troop-carry abilities, the Mi-24P will certainly result in outstanding missions and campaigns.

Being a two-seat aircraft, the HIND will be a particularly interesting aircraft to fly with a friend online.

Update 31/05/2019

Our current helicopter focus is on the updated Ka-50 for DCS: World Black Shark and DCS: Mi-24P Hind. Both projects are progressing well.

The Ka-50 update will consist of new functions such as Igla air-to-air missiles and missile warning systems with infrared missile jamming systems in addition to a substantial graphics overhaul. While new cockpit functions will be part of a paid upgrade, the entirely new and improved cockpit and external model will be available for free. In addition to a graphics overall and new features, we will also take this opportunity to clean up any remaining bugs in the Ka-50.

The Mi-24P is the next helicopter we are bringing to DCS World, created by the same the same team behind the DCS: Mi-8MTV2. This iconic attack helicopter will feature both front and back seat cockpits (including network and coop play). We are confident that it will be the most realistic simulation of the Mi-24P ever created and will add more outstanding game play for DCS World.

Update 25/3/2020

New screenshots

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/screenshots/1286/

mi-24p-dcs-external-03.jpg

mi-24p-dcs-external-02.jpg

mi-24p-dcs-external-01.jpg

mi-24p-dcs-cockpit-01.jpg

mi-24p-dcs-cockpit-02.jpg

mi-24p-dcs-cockpit-03.jpg

mi-24p-dcs-cockpit-04.jpg

mi-24p-dcs-cockpit-10.jpg

mi-24p-dcs-cockpit-09.jpg

mi-24p-dcs-cockpit-08.jpg

mi-24p-dcs-cockpit-07.jpg

mi-24p-dcs-cockpit-06.jpg

mi-24p-dcs-cockpit-05.jpg

Update 21/08/2020

Mi-24P Hind

Development Report

attachment.php?attachmentid=245313&stc=1&d=1598011005

Overall

The cockpit model: Aft Crew Station and Front Crew Station - 100% completed.

Animated cockpit objects: Aft Crew Station - 100%, Front Crew Station - WIP (40%).

The external 3D model - 100%

Animation of external model objects - 70%.

The flight model is complete now and will undergo fine tuning.

Power plant - 100%.

Helicopter Systems

Completed Electrical Power Supply System - 100%;

Fuel System - 80%;

Hydraulic System -100%

Oil Systems - 80%

Anti-Ice System - WIP

Fire Detection & Extinguishing Systems - 70%;

Brake system - 100%,

Air Conditioning System - WIP

Lighting System - WIP

Flight control system (including SAU-V24) - 80% (WIP - SAU setting)

Completed radio communication equipment - 100%;

Helicopter radio navigation equipment -> 80% (WIP - the map indicator is being revised).

Instruments and avionics -> 80% (WIP - connection of operator's cockpit objects).

Armament and Weapon control

Sight ASP-17V and Analog-Digital Computing Device (AСVU), AUTO and Manual modes - completed

Pilot weapon control panel (PUVL) - completed

Built-in cannon and mounts (30 mm, GSh-2-30) - completed (with all fire modes)

Universal gun or grenade launcher container systems (GUV-1) - completed

Bombing munitions and racks - completed

Guided weapons (9K113 Guided Missile System with 9M114 or 9M120 missiles) - WIP

PKI operator's sight - WIP

Rockets

UB-32 rocket launchers with S-5 rockets - completed

B8V20A rocket launchers with S-8 rockets - completed

B-13L rocket launchers with S-13 rockets - completed

APU-68UM3 rocket launcher with S-24B rocket - completed

The RWR SPO-10 is under development

The crew AI (pilot /co-pilot) is currently WIP

Edited by MrDieing

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

I was wondering why there were a few around the F4 Phantom and not the MI24 Hind myself! Good idea here.

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I feel I need to ask this:

Has anyone interested in the Mi-24P read the Monster Hunter book series?

I was introduced to the Mi-24 Hind through that book series, with the remarkably skilled pilot Skippy at the controls. Since then, I have been wanting a Hind for DCS! Love this helicopter!

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Correction!

250 rounds for GSh-30K

Sturm V also can be mounted on middle pylons

Thanks for that! And yes, in hindsight 750 was actually quite a lot :D

• Like 1

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

You might have forgotten to add the Falanga missiles to the Hind-D armaments (first gen):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9M17_Fleyta

I do not believe Falanga (3M11) and Shturm (9K114) are compatible. Falanga is an MCLOS missile, where the gunner steers the missile to target, while Shturm is an RF beam-rider. They would require completely different sighting systems.

Man, a chin gun is a key part of the "gunship" experience. A fixed cannon and it'll be like another airplane.

Well, good thing this is an assault helicopter and not a gunship, eh?

Edited by Hyena

There are also a few "maybe" weapons discussed in the big thread:

- Ataka missiles: guidance is apparently identical to Shturm, and a page from Mi-24 manual from 80s listed Ataka among weapon possibilities. Ataka has a bigger warhead, somewhat higher speed, longer range, and option for a blast/frag warhead.

- R-60 air to air missiles: some Mi-24s in Germany were modified to carry these. But that is more of a special modification than a general ability of Mi-24

- KMGU submunition dispensers

Finally, 7.62mm machine guns could be mounted on cargo bay doors. Not that they would be of any use in DCS but, hey... :)

I hope later Hinds like the P we are getting can use S-24 too like the older ones did :p.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00ED using Tapatalk

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Somewhere in here ;)

mi-24_door_opened_at_cottbus_airfield.jpg

Having just sat in a Mi-24, I can tell you the engineer's seat is in a dark alcove directly behind the pilot's seat.

SCAN Intel Core i9 10850K "Comet Lake", 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Custom Mi-24 pit with magnetic braked cyclic and collective. See it here: Molevitch Mi-24 Pit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] www.blacksharkden.com

bsd sig 2021.jpg

Man, a chin gun is a key part of the "gunship" experience. A fixed cannon and it'll be like another airplane.

We will have fun working on this problem, the sheer destructive power of the dual (true) 30mils may compensate.

Dual door gunners on release will help me adjust.... help me real good.

if the weather is right... weapon reloads in the passenger cabin would also help me overcome the chin turret loss.

Belsimtek may say it ain't right but believe me, IRL ... there are plenty of rusky pilots that did it in Afghanistan.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I have always read that it carried 750 rounds of 30mm. Can you please provide your data source where you see 250 rounds?

Asked real pilots and technics multiple times about that on open days of our Air Force base. I've also read a lot of times that the amount is 750, but after seeing it with my own eyes I have no doubt that it's 250.

Acer Aspire E5-571G-713W/Intel® Core™ i7-4510U 2.0-3.1GHz/12 GB DDR3 L Memo/NVIDIA® GeForce® 820M 2 GB/1000 GB HDD

Perhaps this too is dependent on what modification we are getting, lets say the Russian one has 750 and perhaps the Azerbaijanis modified theirs to spare some weight and carry less ammo.

Erich Fromm

Perhaps this too is dependent on what modification we are getting, lets say the Russian one has 750 and perhaps the Azerbaijanis modified theirs to spare some weight and carry less ammo.

We are getting Mi-24P, with fixed, twin barrel GSh-30K cannon on starboard side. I think there is no such thing like "modification" of existing modification, in our case Mi-24P, so it can carry something else. So, no for this. I even can asure you that every single Mi-24P (and it's derivatives, like Mi-24PN and Mi-24PK-2) that flies around the globe can carry only 250 rounds for it's cannon.

My guess is that that most of the time they wouldn't fully load the aircraft even though it had the capacity to take more ammunition. I just was curious where you found that information.

Yes, you are right, most of the time they (at least our Azeri Mi-24Ps) carry half or even less ammo. For example sometimes they load only 40 rounds (40 CARL!) when they practise at firing range. Currenlty I can't find the needed documentation, but if you check even russian article about Mi-24 on wiki, you'll find 250 rounds for GSh-30K

Acer Aspire E5-571G-713W/Intel® Core™ i7-4510U 2.0-3.1GHz/12 GB DDR3 L Memo/NVIDIA® GeForce® 820M 2 GB/1000 GB HDD