DCS and Pimax

Wags

I'm going to be that guy. They should have included the Pimax deluxe strap at that price; and HTC's strap is still overpriced (typical HTC).

Don't be that guy.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Don't be that guy.

LOL. I'm sure I'll be that guy too.:D

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

LOL. I'm sure I'll be that guy too.:D

Your likelihood of any kind of success other than annoying a few is beyond unlikely.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Could not resist, placed order for 5k+ with the hand tracking.

I know at some point, people were taking about having your hands tracked and interacting with the cockpit switches with your "finger". Are there any ways of making that work currently?

Sadly no, not yet at least not a plug and play product just lots of potential tech that may one day fit the bill.

• 4 weeks later...

It’ll be interesting to get reports of the Pimax. I am a little worried about it with regard to DCS as I recently upgraded from a Rift to a Vive Pro and with those 80% extra pixels to push around, DCS suffers and I have to turn down settings. Goodness knows what it will be like with the Pimax.

DCS is the challenge as other games do not suffer the same issues for me.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

DCS is poorly optimized for vr.

That's an understatement.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

That's an understatement.

I agree. I have mainly VR experience of 6 different VR games and then few demos

- Warthunder

- iRacing

- IL-2 BoS&BoM

- Elite Dangerous

- DSC

- Eurotruck simulator 2

If i would need to place in order how well VR is impelemented i would place them imaginery basket so that:

1. DSC, iRacing its hard to say which one has better implementation but both are clearly using development resources also for VR and i do not have much to complain except that i wait Vulcan but i would say job well done :). Even i would probably raise DCS as number one as it has possibility to make world scaling to match your feeling about size of the world what iRacing dont have

2. Elite dangerous: Elite Dangerous has also very good VR but some of the menus etc (and there are quite many of those make it sometimes difficult to use). I would probably put it to first "basket" if they would make world scaling like DCS has

3. IL-2, ETS2: both are also quite nice to play in VR mode but ETS2 has quite old engine and some graphics parts are problematic on it. Also VR part is done by one developer when he has time so they are not fully concentrating on it which is shame as it would have lot of potential. On the other hand IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad seems to have generally quite good VR but it seems to be quite untable client and also it goes to SteamVR loading screen quite a lot (and i have quite top end computer setup)

4. Warthunder: Flying is quite ok with that (even last time i tried it i had some strange graphic glitch and cockpit graphics looked really and and quite of blueish). But tank section what i would love to play is not designed for VR at the moment

So i would say that DCS is probably one of the best what you can get for VR titles at the moment.

DCS and Pimax

I agree. I have mainly VR experience of 6 different VR games and then few demos

- Warthunder

- iRacing

- IL-2 BoS&BoM

- Elite Dangerous

- DSC

- Eurotruck simulator 2

If i would need to place in order how well VR is impelemented i would place them imaginery basket so that:

1. DSC, iRacing its hard to say which one has better implementation but both are clearly using development resources also for VR and i do not have much to complain except that i wait Vulcan but i would say job well done :). Even i would probably raise DCS as number one as it has possibility to make world scaling to match your feeling about size of the world what iRacing dont have

2. Elite dangerous: Elite Dangerous has also very good VR but some of the menus etc (and there are quite many of those make it sometimes difficult to use). I would probably put it to first "basket" if they would make world scaling like DCS has

3. IL-2, ETS2: both are also quite nice to play in VR mode but ETS2 has quite old engine and some graphics parts are problematic on it. Also VR part is done by one developer when he has time so they are not fully concentrating on it which is shame as it would have lot of potential. On the other hand IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad seems to have generally quite good VR but it seems to be quite untable client and also it goes to SteamVR loading screen quite a lot (and i have quite top end computer setup)

4. Warthunder: Flying is quite ok with that (even last time i tried it i had some strange graphic glitch and cockpit graphics looked really and and quite of blueish). But tank section what i would love to play is not designed for VR at the moment

So i would say that DCS is probably one of the best what you can get for VR titles at the moment.

i completely disagree with your standing.

i don’t own many of the games you cited...but il2 boX has probably the best and more fps friendly vr implementation in flight sim world...

on iracing i agree...i tried it and nothing could get it to run on less then 90fps.

About DCS i cannot have it to run on 45fps im every situation also with lowest settings...and i have the best desktop cpu money can buy...and a pretty good gpu.

Really hope that Vulkan will come early and bring us some serius improvement

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

i completely disagree with your standing.

i don’t own many of the games you cited...but il2 boX has probably the best and more fps friendly vr implementation in flight sim world...

on iracing i agree...i tried it and nothing could get it to run on less then 90fps.

About DCS i cannot have it to run on 45fps im every situation also with lowest settings...and i have the best desktop cpu money can buy...and a pretty good gpu.

Really hope that Vulkan will come early and bring us some serius improvement

Well i have almost same setup except i have I5-9600K OC to 4.9 and 2666 DDR4 rams , 1080TI is asus 11 OC Gaming model and HTCVivePro (and still has in shelf HTC Vive what i used to use earlier). I might need to check IL-2 again but like example i can get DCS to run on 90 FPS if i lower SS in SteamVR to 1.0 and dont use shadows and AAx2 settings (MSAA off)

But i suppose there are factors contributing to this experience like example what are SS settings on each game on SteamVr and what are game settings. And what i have noticed that there are also differences what you have set in Nvidia control panel. iRacing forums have had some good topics when people have different settings and optimal settings of Nvidia settings. And not least it is also much how you feel game which can be personal matter.

Well i have almost same setup except i have I5-9600K OC to 4.9 and 2666 DDR4 rams , 1080TI is asus 11 OC Gaming model and HTCVivePro (and still has in shelf HTC Vive what i used to use earlier). I might need to check IL-2 again but like example i can get DCS to run on 90 FPS if i lower SS in SteamVR to 1.0 and dont use shadows and AAx2 settings (MSAA off)

But i suppose there are factors contributing to this experience like example what are SS settings on each game on SteamVr and what are game settings. And what i have noticed that there are also differences what you have set in Nvidia control panel. iRacing forums have had some good topics when people have different settings and optimal settings of Nvidia settings. And not least it is also much how you feel game which can be personal matter.

Are you seriously telling us you can get 90fps on the Vive Pro on DCS with no SS or MSAA with that CPU and RAM?

You must be a magician, sir!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

i can’t get 45 with a far superior rig...he can get 90....you should already have vulkan render in your dcs version

well i have to say that i like always to test worst possible scenario for performance...like dubai map or a lot of units

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

Are you seriously telling us you can get 90fps on the Vive Pro on DCS with no SS or MSAA with that CPU and RAM?

You must be a magician, sir!

If I put in SteamVR SS to 1 no motion smoothing

in DCS

Textures HIGH

Ground Textures HIGH

Visibilility range MEDIUM

Civ traffic LOW

Shadows OFF

water LOW

MSAA off

AA 2x

Tree rendering range I think something was it 40 percent or something

(I am sorry but cant remember all other settings but they are low or off mostly)

I take like example A10-C and Caucasus training mission "Familiarisation to HOTAS" I get 90 FPS

If you VirusAM do not get same with your rig I recommend to check your other Nvidia and other settings. Remember also that when comparing I7-9900 and I5-9600K and VR we are mostly talking about single core performance and differences are not superior in there. Bigger differences comes with multicore performance.

If I put in SteamVR SS to 1 no motion smoothing

in DCS

Textures HIGH

Ground Textures HIGH

Visibilility range MEDIUM

Civ traffic LOW

Shadows OFF

water LOW

MSAA off

AA 2x

Tree rendering range I think something was it 40 percent or something

(I am sorry but cant remember all other settings but they are low or off mostly)

I take like example A10-C and Caucasus training mission "Familiarisation to HOTAS" I get 90 FPS

If you VirusAM do not get same with your rig I recommend to check your other Nvidia and other settings. Remember also that when comparing I7-9900 and I5-9600K and VR we are mostly talking about single core performance and differences are not superior in there. Bigger differences comes with multicore performance.

yes...still i should get slightly superior performances...

could you try the second mission in the 1989 hornet campaign?cas?

i will try your one

thanks

yes...still i should get slightly superior performances...

could you try the second mission in the 1989 hornet campaign?cas?

i will try your one

thanks

Sorry I probably dont have that Hornet campaign as I just bought Hornet.

But to make it sure I do not claim that when I am playing in Multiplayer server that I have 90 FPS. I mainly have that FPS in 45. In my post 90 FPS was example to show CPU/GPU load. In Caucasus or PG in multiplayer servers I have like said about 45 which drops sometimes to lower but I try to keep settings so that it is 45 so that it stays stable and smooth to fly. For some reason in DCS 45 seems to be even enough when in many other games it will make you puke.

Hornet campaign is included with the module.

PC: ASROCK Z370 Gaming K6 | Intel i7 8700K | GeForce 2080TI | 32GB GeSkill 3200 RAM | GeForce 2080TI | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2

FLIGHT STUFF: Rift S | Warthog Base | Virpil Base | Hornet Grip | A-10 Grip | Cougar Grip | Virpil F-14 Grip | Cougar MFD's | A-10C UFC | Saitek Flight Panels | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Guys, you will get diff fps on different maps/planes or even different areas of the same map. For example, I'm getting steady 90fps on Hormuz when flying far from a shore facing north on A-10C, but the same point with Hornet gives me just 60fps. Try it your self, and you will witness that.

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

That is why we need some standard benchmark to understand what is happening

Guys, you will get diff fps on different maps/planes or even different areas of the same map. For example, I'm getting steady 90fps on Hormuz when flying far from a shore facing north on A-10C, but the same point with Hornet gives me just 60fps. Try it your self, and you will witness that.

yes I know this very welll. I think my original point was that I made two different graphic scenarios with different Supersample settings and ttried to flew over same route in training mission where I know events etc are kept same so those are not creating unknown variation to FPS.

When we play in multiplayer server there are lot of variables which affect including amount of other players, amount of scripts, part of the map etc.

That is why we need some standard benchmark to understand what is happening

Yes I was thinking same thing that there should be VR benchmarking tool. You could run test against different application and graphic settings to determine performance and optium settings.

Yes I was thinking same thing that there should be VR benchmarking tool. You could run test against different application and graphic settings to determine performance and optium settings.

Create a mission with specific set of waypoints for you to fly. Use fpsVR (bst $3.99 I've ever spent) via SteamVR to track everything performance related, including CPU and GPU breakouts for performance/utilization, which hardware dropped frames and when, your average FPS, etc.

Rinse and repeat flying the same mission as you tweak settings, and decide which is best for you.

Would be cool if ED created an auto pilot benchmark mission where you just sat in the cockpit and let a 5 minute intensive mission auto pilot itself, then you could do the above in a more controlled environment.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440