Dynamic Ground Controlled Intercept (and divertable) script

RagnarDa

GCI/Divertable script

control2_1.jpg

by RagnarDa 2013/2014

Anticipating the release of the MiG-21 soon I am releasing this update now. This is a script that I started more than a year ago that simulates the commanding of air assets to defend a region against enemy air intruders. It simulates the radar coverage of different radar stations (EWR, AWACS, SAMs, ships or visual) and when it detects an enemy aircraft it spawns a interceptor flight (fighters) that are continually steered towards an optimal interception point, as long as the radars can see the enemy target. Radar simulation includes line-of-sight, ground interference and doppler-shift detection. Note that it is possible to shake off an incoming fighter group by speeding up, diving behind a mountain (or notching) and then changing direction as the fighters will now look for you at the location you where supposed to be at if you hadn't changed course. It is also possible to configure the fighters to only use their radar (or not at all) once they are in a firing position which means that when you see the numbers on the RWR you are only a second or two from being shot at. The mission profile of the interceptors is also configurable so you can have “look-up/shoot-up”-only capable fighters (like MiG-21) fly a low-high-low profile in which they will attack from below or you can have “look-down/shoot-down” capable fighters (like MiG-25) fly a high-low-high profile in which they will hunt and attack you from high altitude. You can also have the player as an interceptor in which the player will be instructed to fly towards the target using text in the upper right corner of the screen.

Another feature of the script is the “divertables” that is demonstrated in this video:

Note that the bomber decided to go home once the player has stayed on his wing for a while. This feature is also possible to use without the GCI-instructions, and only use default in-game AWACS or LotATC for example.

* All instructions for the script are included in the script itself *

Note that I am keeping all my scripts from now on GitHub.

DOWNLOAD LINK

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

Hello!

Thanks for the script!Really nice one!

I wonder if I am doing something wrong or this is the way it works.

I wanted to have in my mission only clients for Interceptors and no AI at all.

When I tried this I got error messages saying that there are no Intercept squadrons if I was not flying inside the Interceptor aircraft at that moment.

So the script was crashing if there was no client inside the specific aircraft when an enemy aircraft got into the intercept zone.

If I was flying the Interceptor all the time then everything worked great.

That would be a problem in a MP mission if a client jumps of the Interceptor aircraft.

"ARGO" DCS UH-1H DLC SP Campaign

373vFS DCS World squadron (Greece) - www.buddyspike.net

"ARGO 2.0 Project Phoenix" UH-1H DLC Campaign - WIP

I also get in the start of the mission the ''Iterating through units failed'' message and if the AI fighters get shot down from air defences and there are still enemy bombers to engage the "Error while doing radarsweep'' message.

I think I followed the instructions .

-Added one EWR unit.

-Added AI fighter with the correct tag to intercept

-Added one client fighter with the correct tag to intercept

-Added enemy bombers flying in the area

I use Mist 3.4 .

Hello!

Thanks for the script!Really nice one!

I wonder if I am doing something wrong or this is the way it works.

I wanted to have in my mission only clients for Interceptors and no AI at all.

When I tried this I got error messages saying that there are no Intercept squadrons if I was not flying inside the Interceptor aircraft at that moment.

So the script was crashing if there was no client inside the specific aircraft when an enemy aircraft got into the intercept zone.

If I was flying the Interceptor all the time then everything worked great.

That would be a problem in a MP mission if a client jumps of the Interceptor aircraft.

Thank you! This problem didn't occur to me. I uploaded a fix to the GitHub repo.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

Thank you! This problem didn't occur to me. I uploaded a fix to the GitHub repo.

That fixed the first issue :thumbup:

It seems that the problem remains when you get shot down in an aircraft that is Interceptor or if the AI interceptors get shot down.

When this happens you won't get new respawned aircrafts but you get the message ''Error while doing radar sweep''

Ok didn't see your second post. I am not at my computer right now but could you possibly post the rest of the error message, the lines following "Error while doing radar sweep"?

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

It's an error at line 621.

Error while doing radarsweep.Occuring after a client or AI interceptor gets shot down or gets out of the game. :thumbup:

errorgci_zpse6ccd752.jpg

Committed another fix to the repo. Hopefully this will fix this issue as well. Thanks for excellent bug reporting!

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

It seems working great!

Great job!

I ''ll tell you if anything else comes up. It seems that it'll be a must feature for the upcoming campaign we are working on.Hope to see your squad joining in. :thumbup:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

After testing the script with more pilots in the server it seems that it works only for one player.

A client will get the messages when no other will and if he disconnects or gets shot down then another one will take the messages.

Apart from that there were no other issues . ;)

Ragnar,

Just a heads up that there was a bug in mist.message.add which has been fixed now by Grimes (during the last 12 hours or so) I think your script was using it ??? Anyway just to let you know since it sounds like you might have issues around messages.

Very nice script by the way!!

Cheers,

Stonehouse

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice script, :)

A client will get the messages when no other will and if he disconnects or gets shot down then another one will take the messages.

Is it possible to make several pilots "client" receive messages GCI in MP missions ?

thank you.

No it wasn't coded for multiple players working as one group, which I believe is what you are asking for. It needs a bit more work for that :/

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

• 5 months later...

I get a CTD, if the divertable aircraft was shot down or landed.

The last entries in the dcs.log are:

00518.210 INFO SCRIPTING: Distance: 12173.906250 Engagmentrange: 35000.000000

00521.384 INFO SCRIPTING: Group Incoming Bomber Divertable is dead/has landed

00548.216 WARNING SCRIPTING: getAliveUnits() failed! Returning empty array.

00548.216 WARNING LOG: 1 duplicate message(s) skipped.

00548.216 WARNING SCRIPTING: Group is dead?

00583.507 INFO DCS: try to write dump information

00584.719 INFO EDCORE: Minidump created.

00584.720 INFO DCS: try to write track file

GCI-Intecept MiG-29.miz

Edited by Sauerkraut

• 10 months later...
Hey, as the title says, probably a silly question. I am taking a look at your script on this GitHub, but I see no option to DOWNLOAD the .lua? If I cannot download it, how do I "do script file" for "GCIx.lua"?

Please and thanks!

Just right click on the .lua file and choose save link as (or your browser equivalent) and you're good to go.

Justificus

System Specs:

i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C I+II, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf, Mig-19P, I-16, Super Carrier, F-16, Channel, Syria

• 3 months later...