Introducing the VPC MongoosT-50

Cyph3r

I was wrong on this one. After opening the base again I could see that the cams were still fixed. What I noticed though was that the screws holding the thread for the stick have become completely loose!

attachment.php?attachmentid=170686&stc=1&d=1507979937

After tightening them again, the stick is now perfectly smooth again.

Let me recap: After using the T-50 for two weeks, I had:

-Screws in grip being loose

-Cams coming loose

-Screws holding stick-thread becoming loose

Don't get my wrong, I love the stick and when it works, it is fantastic. But there seem to be serious quality issues.

Yeah, I won't be ordering this any time soon. I want to be impatient and get the MT-50 stick and throttle...but these QC issues will help allow me to be patient and wait for VKB's throttle to release. Sorry to be blunt, but at the moment it seems like the QC is questionable at best...the newness as a brand is shining through, for certain.

I sincerely hope that they can get all of the issues sorted out and start to show consistent quality leaving the production line. I would love to place an order, I just can't comfortably do so right now based on what I've read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by =Buckeye=

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sincerely hope that they can get all of the issues sorted out and start to show consistent quality leaving the production line. I would love to place an order, I just can't comfortably do so right now based on what I've read.

Yes they definitely need to tighten up on the QC of the finished product before it leaves their assembly plant, hopefully they will do so. It really is a very nice design, and the fact you can get an all in one package with an extension kit allowing for various lengths, and a desk mount bracket is a huge selling feature.

As I have talked about previously, I am on my second T-50 base, and have now logged many hours of flying in it. Whilst I don't really notice it all that much while flying just moving it around when not flying I can feel the roughness of the cams , and hear it as well. This was very disappointing after what I went through with the first base, and in fact the first one was so much smoother.

But I will say even with that, I am still very glad I got this setup. I have way better and smoother control than I ever had with my Warthog. I just hope my cams or whatever never work loose, taking this thing apart and working on it got me in real trouble with my first one, and while I appreciate the customizability for me I would much prefer not to get into that thing again. I just want to continue to fly and have fun.

And I will say the support has been very good so far as well.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Absolutely, the support and community interaction seems to be great. The design is there. The product should be great, barring the fact that they tighten up on sending mediocre work out from their factory to their customers. Slow down and do it right, even when demand is high.

The fact of the matter is that you can look past the grinding and other issues because "it's so much better than the Warthog and other prior sticks," but you could also order from VKB and receive a product that is equally as good without the quality issues. That's something VPC needs to consider, they don't need to build a poor QC reputation for themselves right out of the gate as a new brand entering this space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by =Buckeye=

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

They really need to put a big warning with the documentation to not try calibrating in Windows, as it for sure will mess up the brake paddle axis.

I would send an email to Cyph3r at sale@virpil.com. He can get you in touch with their support and they can correct that remotely for you I believe.

Also, yes you should be getting a second button press when pulling the trigger all the way in. You should also feel that second click.

I was aware of the brakes axis calibration issue with windows's tool but I honestly don't care much: I'd rather have pitch & roll axis calibrated for now. Also, I play rotary-wings only so brakes.. who doesn't even need brakes when you can hover? (joking of course) :P

I tried a few times pushing increasingly harder and finally I got the second click. It's so much harder compared to the other buttons that initially I simply thought there was some other issue. Mea culpa :)

full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

I was aware of the brakes axis calibration issue with windows's tool but I honestly don't care much: I'd rather have pitch & roll axis calibrated for now. Also, I play rotary-wings only so brakes.. who doesn't even need brakes when you can hover? (joking of course) :P

I tried a few times pushing increasingly harder and finally I got the second click. It's so much harder compared to the other buttons that initially I simply thought there was some other issue. Mea culpa :)

Hmm it really should not take much of a hard press to engage that second click. At least mine does not.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Seriously, guys, tightening a few bolts shouldn't be an issue for a grown up bearded man. :)

• Like 1

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

Reading these complains about loose screws I have a very simple solution for both VPC and the end users. Apply Loctite threadlock adhesive on the threads. When you as an end user has the sweet setting and the right cam-plate, remove the screws and give them some blue (or even red) loctite.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

KG13 Control Grip Building

Control Stick and Rudder Design

i7 8700K, Asus Z370-E, 1080 Ti, 32Gb RAM, EVO960 500Gb, Oculus CV1

Here's a tip: After windows calibration, which we know doesn't work for the brake lever axis, use DXTweak to mess with the calibration scale. I did that and it works great.

I tried but DXTweak crashes as soon as it selects the TWCS throttle and it always comes before the T-50. Hold on. Idea. I have unplugged the TWCS, ok now it works :D

The raw for Z axis is all the way to the right instead of in the middle of the scale (which I understand since it's a break axis, not a pitch/roll). The red chevron starts moving when pull until I hit ~50% of the axis hence the value in DXTweak moves between 2095 and 4095; whereas is between 0 and 4095 for the other axis. Is that a limitation of DXTweak?

EDIT:

as a temporary solution I have set: min 2106, mid 3100, max 4095. It works quite well.

Edited by Karon
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"

I tried but DXTweak crashes as soon as it selects the TWCS throttle and it always comes before the T-50. Hold on. Idea. I have unplugged the TWCS, ok now it works :D

Ok, but don't need disconnect the priority controller, just click in NEXT in DXTweak2 GUI (ahead TWCS name, that is showed first because has the lower VID/PID number) for change for the next controller plugged.

If instead use DView - other option for calibrate this joystick, in Edit > Settings tick the joystick you want calibrate.

Both DXTweak2 and DView work in the same way, but (I think) DView seems only 6 axis of controllers.

Ok, but don't need disconnect the priority controller, just click in NEXT in DXTweak2 GUI (ahead TWCS name, that is showed first because has the lower VID/PID number) for change for the next controller plugged.

If instead use DView - other option for calibrate this joystick, in Edit > Settings tick the joystick you want calibrate.

Both DXTweak2 and DView work in the same way, but (I think) DView seems only 6 axis of controllers.

I know that but as soon as I press next and get to the TWCS, it crashed. Anyway, I just need to press a button on my USB hub to DC it so it's not a big deal.

I have attached two shots from DXTweaks when I don't press the Z axis (same status until I hit the 50% of the possible movement) and then fully pressed. Do you have similar results?

dxtweak-no-press.png.93e3a1fb3693b1706ce59a1b21f911aa.png

dxtweak-full-press.png.19a54375770d0961176b3fc45b9ac239.png

full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"

An easy question, could anyone tell me which color corresponds to light, and which one to medium springs?

Springs:

White = Light

Blue = Medium

Red = Heavy

Don B

The NOOBIFIER1337 has released a number of videos on the VPC MongoosT-50 Dual Stick setup, including a review and a tear down! Check them out:

► Website: www.virpil.com // ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirPilControls // ► Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirPilControls

For support please email support@virpil.com to open a ticket!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

► Introducing the VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip

Today VIRPIL Controls are pleased to introduce the next evolution of the VPC MongoosT-50 Grip, the MongoosT-50CM (Серийная модернизированная / “Standard Upgraded”) Grip.

VPCMT-50CM_02.jpg

This grip aims to more accurately replicate the look and feel of the real grip based on suggestions we’ve received from the community. Changes include:

• Russian Button Labels
  • Remodelled Brake Lever
  • Remodelled Flip Trigger
  • Remodelled Buttons
  • Black Hats, Main Trigger and Wrist Rest

The VPC MongoosT-50CM will be available for 179.95 EUR from 30th October.

Other changes in the VPC MongoosT-50 Grip lineup based on popular demand is that we will also begin offering a left hand VPC MongoosT-50 LH Black Edition also from 30th October.

Finally, there will also be a price drop on the standard VPC MongoosT-50 Grip to 139.95 EUR!

Stay tuned for future announcements!

Regards,

VPC Team

► Website: www.virpil.com // ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirPilControls // ► Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirPilControls

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Really?? I just purchased T-50 few days ago and now it's worth 40€ less?!?! :mad:

You purchased the MT-50 Grip on it's own? The MT-50 Flightstick price is remaining the same - the 20 EUR (not 40?) price drop only effects the standard MT-50 Grip!

Edited by Cyph3r

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I suppose there is still no switch indicating whether the flip trigger is up or down? That would be a wasted opportunity!

And the index switch still has no tactile feedback when moved forward?

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

If I buy from Virpil directly, will there be any problem using a Netherlands credit card? I tried buying online from Russia before but my creditcard wasn't accepted due to it being a Netherlands one.

Amazon states the T-50 stick and base or not available....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

I suppose there is still no switch indicating whether the flip trigger is up or down? That would be a wasted opportunity!

And the index switch still has no tactile feedback when moved forward?

This is just a style change (like the Black Edition). In the future we'll be expanding the lineup with more functionality :thumbup:

If I buy from Virpil directly, will there be any problem using a Netherlands credit card? I tried buying online from Russia before but my creditcard wasn't accepted due to it being a Netherlands one.

Amazon states the T-50 stick and base or not available....

We already have a number of customers from the Netherlands with no problems! With some banks (worldwide) the first payment will fail due to the bank auto-blocking it, however a quick phone call to them and you can place a second order which will be succesful.

By the way, we're in Belarus not Russia! :smilewink:

Also, the stock in our EU (Amazon) warehouse got snatched up very quickly - we're working on getting the next shipment over, but I don't have an ETA just yet - our main webstore orders have the priority!

Edited by Cyph3r

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes they definitely need to tighten up on the QC of the finished product before it leaves their assembly plant, hopefully they will do so. It really is a very nice design, and the fact you can get an all in one package with an extension kit allowing for various lengths, and a desk mount bracket is a huge selling feature.

As I have talked about previously, I am on my second T-50 base, and have now logged many hours of flying in it. Whilst I don't really notice it all that much while flying just moving it around when not flying I can feel the roughness of the cams , and hear it as well. This was very disappointing after what I went through with the first base, and in fact the first one was so much smoother.

But I will say even with that, I am still very glad I got this setup. I have way better and smoother control than I ever had with my Warthog. I just hope my cams or whatever never work loose, taking this thing apart and working on it got me in real trouble with my first one, and while I appreciate the customizability for me I would much prefer not to get into that thing again. I just want to continue to fly and have fun.

And I will say the support has been very good so far as well.

Hey dburne,

Now that you have some experience with your new kit and especially since you used the warthog, I need to ask you some questions.

Did you have an extension with your Hawg and also did you have it between the legs?

How would you describe the centre position and the immediate area around the centre, does the mongoose base allow an easy movement from centre to any position no matter how small? No sticking.

The Cams should be perfect at purchase, but roughness of the cams I can polishif need be. Indeed, if a system is capable of transmitting poor finishing quality between differentcams then for sure the bearing and design is right but I guess thismay also vary.

I am only interested in the sweetness and ease of movement in and around thecentre of the base unit’s movement as these are critical choppercontrol areas when hovering and dealing with the DCS Helicopter trim modelduring all flight phases.

What are the new light springs and cams like?

My apologies for the post script and cap size variation, I generally seem to be having problems writing in DCS forums and have to re edit 2 or 3 times. no where else.... just here.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Hey dburne,

Now that you have some experience with your new kit and especially since you used the warthog, I need to ask you some questions.

Did you have an extension with your Hawg and also did you have it between the legs?

How would you describe the centre position and the immediate area around the centre, does the mongoose base allow an easy movement from centre to any position no matter how small? No sticking.

The Cams should be perfect at purchase, but roughness of the cams I can polishif need be. Indeed, if a system is capable of transmitting poor finishing quality between differentcams then for sure the bearing and design is right but I guess thismay also vary.

I am only interested in the sweetness and ease of movement in and around thecentre of the base unit’s movement as these are critical choppercontrol areas when hovering and dealing with the DCS Helicopter trim modelduring all flight phases.

What are the new light springs and cams like?

My apologies for the post script and cap size variation, I generally seem to be having problems writing in DCS forums and have to re edit 2 or 3 times. no where else.... just here.

Yes I was running the Warthog with a 7.5 cm extension by Sajah mounted on a Monster Tech mount between my legs.

I had the soft center cams installed with this base, the movement around center is indeed very soft. I can easily move the stick around center with my pinky finger, very easy and very smooth. I did adjust the tension of the springs with the screw adjustments on top of the base ( nice feature) to get the tension around center about where I like it and equal in pitch and roll. So that can be fine tuned a little.

I also had the soft springs installed, and I really like the feel of them. The tension does increase as I move out toward the edges which I find nice as well.

Sticktion - there is absolutely 0 of that, which is probably one of the largest differences between it and the Warthog. The extension on my Warthog stick definitely helped it in that department, but once I got this stick it was so apparent the difference in having no sticktion at all - and it is quite nice.

The big difference for me was lining up my shots on an enemy craft, so much better for me - with the Warthog I would often kind of jump up and down when shooting - which of course through my ammo off the target. Much easier to keep it on target now.

Good to know you would be comfortable working with the cams, hopefully after getting all the reports of cam roughness they have tightened up on that and it won't be necessary.

My original gimbal had the hard center cams and medium springs installed, I like the soft center and soft springs so much better. But this also is more of a personal preference thing.

The only thing I have not done yet is fly the KA-50 with this stick, going to have to get in there and assign my buttons and give that a try soon as well. I am sure I am going to really be pleased with it in the KA-50.

Hope this helps,

Edited by dburne

Don B