romeokilo

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone.

Holidays are over and I am back at work so progress has slowed, however;

The side consoles have been ordered and are being cut from Ply and MDF. I should have then in a couple of weeks.

I have just ordered one of those cheap Arduino Uno kits from eBay to start experimenting with DCS-BIOS.

I've also ordered a Mega2560R3 and a whole bunch of diodes in order to make one of overpro's HID controllers which will run the CDU and UFC.

I'm playing around in diptrace and designing a matrix PCB for them. I will get those manufactured by an online service rather than making it myself.

Here is the prototype flaps guage. The needle is temporary- the end product will be back lit and much nicer. I've had a Phidgets single servo controller for ages and am trying to get it running via Helios now- not working so far but ill keep at it.

20160302_205752_zpsgmwz9jk5.jpg

Thanks everyone.

Holidays are over and I am back at work so progress has slowed, however;

The side consoles have been ordered and are being cut from Ply and MDF. I should have then in a couple of weeks.

I have just ordered one of those cheap Arduino Uno kits from eBay to start experimenting with DCS-BIOS.

I've also ordered a Mega2560R3 and a whole bunch of diodes in order to make one of overpro's HID controllers which will run the CDU and UFC.

I'm playing around in diptrace and designing a matrix PCB for them. I will get those manufactured by an online service rather than making it myself.

Here is the prototype flaps guage. The needle is temporary- the end product will be back lit and much nicer. I've had a Phidgets single servo controller for ages and am trying to get it running via Helios now- not working so far but ill keep at it.

20160302_205752_zpsgmwz9jk5.jpg

Try DCS-BIOS for the servo and you won't need the phidgets controller. Don't power the servo from the Arduino board though. The servo will use more current than the board can supply.

When you see how easy DCS-BIOS is to use, you may not want to build that switch matrix after all.:smilewink:

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

• 3 weeks later...

So i have basically decided to re make every panel I have done so far :huh:

I've tweaked my design so that the top layer is solid white and the middle is an opaque white. Those two layers get glued together with a solvent cement, then painted black and engraved. The bottom layer is black acrylic, with 3mm LEDs for back light and the switches mounted. Gluing the top layers together and painting them in one hit results in zero bleeding of light around the switches and edges, and saves me having to paint edges after the engraving is done.

Once i have finished one I'll break it down and take some good pics to explain..

For now I am cutting them all- then will paint the tops in black in one big hit and start engraving.

37732769152_56598c092c_k.jpg

Here is the final (maybe...) design of my landing gear panel. Deleted some of my changes to make it more realistic. Also changed to suit one of Lynx's 3D printed light posts for the flaps gauge.

37732770562_3285cf8546_k.jpg

OF NOTE- I did make one massive error. I accidentally clicked delete on every panel i had done for the left console. It was saved to network storage so i couldn't recover it from the recycle bin either. I lost hours and hours, if not days and weeks of work. :mad:

Safe to say I was angry at myself for a few days. I had already cut the stuff in the pics above, but now have to re design everything so I can engrave them.

Tip for everyone- Make BACKUPS!

Side consoles have been cut and finally in my hands!

I know I am going to regret gluing and assembling it before painting the ribs but i just couldn't wait any longer...

Here is the left one taking shape-

37094624663_1f6f20b193_k.jpg

Edited by romeokilo

Hey, Mr_Burns. (see Post #10)

I did something in that direction.

http://forums.eagle.ru/album.php?albumid=1120

Due to different reason I modified the design some. So I do not use the original fastening system.

Everything else is "on scale".

I drive them by a Arduino MEGA with keypad library (connected by DCS-BIOS but still off RS-485 bus :().

I have not much time for tinkering, so they are still under construction (but working).

Regarding to Post #19: I made my PCB myself by toner transfer and etched it with Na2S2O8. Two Layer etching is a little bit tricky at this size. It took me two attempts.

@hannibal: Problems wireing such a considerable project are history. Thanks to the "new" RS-485 bus (by Ian).

@romeokilo: I have no idea, where your location is (Diamant-Bike means Germany?). I have ATM some signalling lamps (used for landing gear panel, SAS and EMER) on the bench.

I just wait for some electronic parts to finish them for Roll Out. They will look exactly like the real ones. (will promote as soon as everything is complete)

Cause I love your pit you could be the first one...

Pic shows a very early Prototype (looks little sloppy), R2 and (ATM just as blue print) R3 are really good.

PS: @RomeoKilo: If you think, I mustn't hijack your thread: PM me. I'll delete this post in a tick :)

73181319_SignalLightPrototypeR0.thumb.png.409d12061333311f27d5b223e2c50301.png

Edited by Tekkx

Manual for my version of RS485-Hardware, contact: tekkx@dresi.de

Please do not PM me with DCS-BIOS-related questions. If the answer might also be useful to someone else, it belongs in a public thread where it can be discovered by everyone using the search function. Thank You.

And so it begins...

FIY. An LCD-screen with I2C backpack only uses 4 wires. Maybe u already know this?

met vriendelijke groet,

Михель

"умный, спортсмен, комсомолетс"

[sIGPIC]159th_pappavis.jpg[/sIGPIC]

[TABLE]SPECS: i9-9900K 32gigs RAM, Geforce 2070RTX, Creative XFi Fata1ity, TIR5, Valve Index & HP Reverb, HOTAS Warthog, Logitech G933 Headset, 10Tb storage.[/TABLE]

Nice find RK. It looks to be in excellent shape. Was it very expensive?

Its a shame its just for decoration. When I think of the hours I put into mine and in the end its really only there to fill a space on the console. It would have been nice if ED could have made an effort to simulate this in at least a minimum of functionality. I know it suppose to be classified but they could have made something up on there own.

Oh well. It still looks really nice even if it doesn't work.:music_whistling:

Which brings me to something I am just becoming aware of. You may want to sit down and map out every switch, button and dial that requires interfacing with the sim.. There are a lot of switches in each console that actually don't function. I'm at a stage where I am starting to wire things up and program boards so I'm looking at each control feature in detail. Even though there are export arguments for them and there is code in DCS-BIOS for them, they actually don't work. For example, most of the VHF AM and FM switches/dials have no functionality as well as the Oxygen Regulator Panel, the Environmental panel (minus the Pitot heater switch), the Auxiliary Lighting panel (minus 2 push buttons) and the KY58RCU Panel. They are all just decoration. I was rather surprised at how much actually doesn't work.

I guess I won't need as many IO pins as I originally thought. Sorry for the ramble. :doh:

But I also wanted to compliment you on your work. It is really impressive RK. You have done an outstanding job. I'm really looking forward to see the completed pit.

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

I would like to make an update my last post. After further research and a kind email from Hans, I am now going to wire all of the controls on the radios, the KY58 and IFF panel. I have learned that there are other apps that could potentialy make use of these controls such as the Aries radio app and the universal radio app. It's also worth considering that ED may in fact add some functionality to these controls in the future and so as not to miss out on any possible third-party apps it's best to ensure all controls are wired appropriately.

A big thank you to Hans for taking the time to fill me in on these possibilities.:thumbup:

John

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

John Wall

Hey, Mr_Burns. (see Post #10)

@romeokilo: I have no idea, where your location is (Diamant-Bike means Germany?). I have ATM some signalling lamps (used for landing gear panel, SAS and EMER) on the bench.

I just wait for some electronic parts to finish them for Roll Out. They will look exactly like the real ones. (will promote as soon as everything is complete)

Cause I love your pit you could be the first one...

Pic shows a very early Prototype (looks little sloppy), R2 and (ATM just as blue print) R3 are really good.

PS: @RomeoKilo: If you think, I mustn't hijack your thread: PM me. I'll delete this post in a tick :)

Not Germany- I am in Australia. Your lamps look great, however I have gone for a 'non- realistic' approach and the lamps are designed into my panels.

The 3mm LEDs used for them are mounted in the same panel that the switches and the back light LED's are in. Without re cutting my panels I wouldn't be able to mount them.

Also, don't worry about thread hijacking- I learn a lot reading other peoples discussion. That is what makes these forums great!

FIY. An LCD-screen with I2C backpack only uses 4 wires. Maybe u already know this?

Yep I know. That 1602 LCD was included in the Arduino Starter Kit I got to experiment with. Its not going in the pit, I was just trying my first ever sketch! :thumbup:

I have two I2C 20X2 OLEDs to use in the the two CM Panels.

Nice find RK. It looks to be in excellent shape. Was it very expensive?

Its a shame its just for decoration. When I think of the hours I put into mine and in the end its really only there to fill a space on the console. It would have been nice if ED could have made an effort to simulate this in at least a minimum of functionality. I know it suppose to be classified but they could have made something up on there own.

Oh well. It still looks really nice even if it doesn't work.:music_whistling:

Which brings me to something I am just becoming aware of. You may want to sit down and map out every switch, button and dial that requires interfacing with the sim.. There are a lot of switches in each console that actually don't function. I'm at a stage where I am starting to wire things up and program boards so I'm looking at each control feature in detail. Even though there are export arguments for them and there is code in DCS-BIOS for them, they actually don't work. For example, most of the VHF AM and FM switches/dials have no functionality as well as the Oxygen Regulator Panel, the Environmental panel (minus the Pitot heater switch), the Auxiliary Lighting panel (minus 2 push buttons) and the KY58RCU Panel. They are all just decoration. I was rather surprised at how much actually doesn't work.

I guess I won't need as many IO pins as I originally thought. Sorry for the ramble. :doh:

But I also wanted to compliment you on your work. It is really impressive RK. You have done an outstanding job. I'm really looking forward to see the completed pit.

I paid about 140 AUD for it (not including shipping), which is about 110 US. It is in fantastic condition. I wasn't going to bother, but considering that I paid 40 AUD for a cutler hammer in much worse condition i figured it was a bargain. Making an IFF panel myself and using mil spec switches alone would cost me much more than that.

As for the rant- yes I feel you. "Classified" is a cop out really, considering you can buy these things on eBay, find the tech manual in 30 seconds of googling and read how it actually works on Wikipedia... If this thing is still really classified to any level whatsoever someone seriously failed at OPSEC!

I will integrate it all eventually, but it is right on the end of my to do list. For now I'll just convert the 28V red back light to 12V green LED and integrate the on/off switch. The rest can wait.

Progress-

Here is the left console panels being cut. I still need to re do all my engraving files for that side :mad:

The panel directly behind the throttle is my own doing- its for the F1-12 buttons for the Views and the Comm Menu. It will be engraved and dressed up like some sort of radio panel. Should blend in hopefully, but If not ill put it directly behind the CDU. With the same size and color buttons only an A-10 nut would notice it.

Also- the radio's in this pic are my old design and will be replaced with ones that are slightly less realistic but much simpler to make (with no custom PCB's for the 7 segments required).

20160416_210110_zpsp3fvyxse.jpg

I am also still messing around with the console structure. I wasn't going to skin the outside of the consoles but i have now decided i will. It will look better in the end, will protect the wiring from my son's little fingers and will mean i don't have to paint the inside of everything (to any good standard).

Access will be from the bottom and the inside panels will be bolted not glued. The rest will be permanently attached with glue and countersunk screws, filled, sanded, dressed up with upholstery nails and painted.

Here is a quick look just to get the vibe of the thing.

20160414_163531_zpstloo6w3u.jpg

20160414_164114_zps14bdsq6x.jpg

The Obutto seat will soon go (and return to sim racing duties) and be replaced with an ACES type seat I will build.

I'm also thinking I will make a floor for the whole pit- maybe 6 odd inches high to make the realistic drop in the foot well area.

That will also incorporate the 6 way electric seat rails I've just picked up out of a wrecked new model Ford.

End result- the seat up and down toggle will actually be a four way hat that will raise the ACES up and down and move it forward and back :)

Edited by romeokilo

• 2 weeks later...

It is slowly taking shape!

Side Consoles have had the outer skins done. The interior trim is going to be bolt on and painted white for now- I haven't cut that yet. I am looking at getting a padded green canvass covering for them as well- Not sure if that is realistic but it should look the part. I am also making my own Grimes style cockpit lights heads from acrylic tube with green LED strip installed to attach to it as well.

20160429_132426_zpsgvaiocqv.jpg

20160429_132352_zpssqut73kd.jpg

The panels are slowly being done as well-

20160429_132343_zpsnfrvwm0q.jpg

20160429_132406_zpskvpwhz4j.jpg

20160429_132402_zpsbsjzfkfq.jpg

Here are the electric seat rails. I've got a 30 amp 12V DC Power supply to run it- it works great. The six way rail means i can adjust forward-back, up-down, and tilt as well. I bought Flims Aces Plans and I am currently modifying them to suit the rail.

20160429_133140_zpsdwie0mlt.jpg

20160429_133134_zpsx5rf7gwk.jpg

It is currently drying from a coat of paint-

20160429_141711_zpseiw1j4xn.jpg

20160429_141720_zps3wlnmt8p.jpg

This is just a base coat. Ive got a whole bunch of upholstery tacks ordered to do some rivet detail on the outside, before it gets sprayed in a slightly darker grey.

I am contemplating doing some warthog teeth along the outside....

One thing I haven't sorted yet is pedals. My CH Pro's do not fit so are on eBay. I am hoping Thrustmaster will come out with something great in the upcoming product release. I like heel on the floor style rudders so I may end up splashing out on the Slaw Devices Viper's.

If I see what you've done ATM, I could imagine, you'll find some satisfaction with this:

http://mfg.simundza.com/products

I couldn't never afford it. Never. But maybe...

Please do not PM me with DCS-BIOS-related questions. If the answer might also be useful to someone else, it belongs in a public thread where it can be discovered by everyone using the search function. Thank You.

Sweet, I really loved your Obutto Pit but this one is just amazing, great job!

You have unfortunately for my wallet, got me obsessed with getting my own pit together.

Who needs to retire anyway?

Anyone have a need for a slightly used kidney?

i7-6700 / 32GB DDR4 / 500GB SSD / GT 108 Founders /Oculus S/ Warthog /TRP/Obutto Ozone

Its not that bad KatBreath. Just sell the wife and kids. That will cover most of it. After that you can always moonlight as a hooker like I did. :P :lol:

@Ray... You really are on a roll there my friend. Incredible progress. You need to slow down or you'll end up having an MI.

@Tekkx

If I see what you've done ATM, I could imagine, you'll find some satisfaction with this: http://mfg.simundza.com/products

I couldn't never afford it. Never. But maybe...

But maybe nothing... you could build one. I just finished ordering a bunch of parts from China, bearings and pillow blocks mostly, as I'm planning on making both pedals and a new precision gimbal to replace that crappy plastic job they put in the TM Warthog. I don't see it being overly difficult. You don't need to be fancy just smooth and precise.

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

John Wall

...as I'm planning on making both pedals...

I knew this before you wrote it :)

Warhog, You'll know I am a great fan of your highly skilled craftmanship. But You (and You all pitbuilders - I am just a half one :)):

Where do you take the time for flying from?

It's about one month ago I started my bird (just for watching how a lamp looks like and if RS 485 is working - it does)

It's (about) 3 Months ago, I had a single lift off. And I don't remember when I shoot something dangerous looking stuff at the ground...

And what I did meanwhile: Nothing but fumbling arround with some lights, switches and two panels...

So let's lean back and stare at RKs Simpit while salivating our dusty workwear.

@RomeoKilo: Sorry for wandering off the subject. Let me repeat: I love your work :)

I knew this before you wrote it :)

Warhog, You'll know I am a great fan of your highly skilled craftmanship. But You (and You all pitbuilders - I am just a half one :)):

Where do you take the time for flying from?

It's about one month ago I started my bird (just for watching how a lamp looks like and if RS 485 is working - it does)

It's (about) 3 Months ago, I had a single lift off. And I don't remember when I shoot something dangerous looking stuff at the ground...

And what I did meanwhile: Nothing but fumbling around with some lights, switches and two panels...

:lol: That sounds so familiar but you should know... I am still fumbling with stuff. Welcome to the club.:megalol: Its what we all do as we try and learn how to build stuff without causing a fire or at the very least...smoke.:music_whistling: Notwithstanding the above, I still fly for an hour a day. All things considered, it does take a lot of time and effort unlike RK's build. I am amazed at the speed in which Ray is building his pit. Very impressive to say the least. I just finished my second year now and I'm only at 60% for my pit. But I also have no other hobbies or interests or a life beyond the basement since I started building. :huh: What can I say... its been a great learning experience :pilotfly:

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

John Wall