Cougar MFD with Lilliput UM-80 8" USB Monitors

I've seen a few youtube clips on using these two as a nice little setup and so I ordered a some and I have to say I'm not disappointed :)

I'll go through my process and give you some tips and the problems I had and how to fix them.

(here is the full album)

Lilliput UM-80/C/T - 8"

I got mine of amazon I think, they were around £80 each and came to £200 with tax/p&p.

No CD was inside and I use Win7 x64, turn on windows update and it will download the drivers and install something called 'DisplayLink manager', windows should automatically detect them and you can move them around with the 'Screen Resolution' desktop right click.

When setting them up do not check 'Optimize for Video' as this will give you low res mfds

Note: These require 2 USB slots EACH. so buy yourself a cheep USB hub (I got a 7 port hub of ebay for £4)

JR47A.jpg

Thrustmaster Cougar MFD Pack

I waited 3 weeks for an amazon seller to ship these, and I gave up as they said they still hadn't sent them, I then ordered them from the actual thrustmaster amazon and they arrived the next day!

The CD didn't work so you should download the drivers/software from the link below.

http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/index.php?pg=view_files&gid=1&fid=3&pid=298&cid=1

Unscrew the bracket with a philips screwdriver and remove the thumbscrew. I then used sellotape to make double sided tape and went around the edges, for a nice finish use a stanley knife and tidy the tape so it doesn't overflow (I made that mistake at first).

6Rdgh.jpg

Dyg8h.jpg

fdf5u.jpg

Attaching them like so... they are very sturdy!

bXhnO.jpg

1THUG.jpg

USB HUB

4 Monitors (2 each)

2 MFDs

1 TrackIR

JuXJG.jpg

At this point is a good time to measure your screens and edit your monitor config.

In my case I edited from here:

H:DCS WorldConfigMonitorSetup

And here is my .lua

_ = function(p) return p; end;

name = _('MFD SETUP');

Description = 'USB MON'

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 1920;

height = 1080;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.7;

}

}

GUI=

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 1920;

height = 1080;

}

LEFT_MFCD =

{

x = 242;

y = 1112;

width = 560;

height = 560;

}

RIGHT_MFCD =

{

x = 805;

y = 1117;

width = 560;

height = 560;

}

UIMainView = GUI

In doing so the MFD dimentions is 560px this fills up the entire mfd, I might size this down by 5/10px.

To measure where you want the mfds to go I used PixelWindowApp

Download Here

Then when everything was setup I took a screencap with PrtScn and pasted into Photoshop.

SQ9PJ.jpg

Turn rulers on and drag out to edges then zoom in on the top corners and read the pixel count on the rulers (right click on the rulers and change units to pixels)

GybfN.jpg

That should give you everything you need for your .lua.

Once I tested it out in the game you might need to move it around a bit but that is pretty standard up/down stuff. Finally I just cut out some black card and covered the rest of the screen to tidy it up.

C9Y9w.jpg

2gpIO.jpg

nhBvd.jpg

cFesP.jpg

Result

Final tip: Uncheck disable aero and use an aero theme in windows.

Also if anyone wants the wallpaper I got it from the US Army flickr I think (tried looking can not find it anymore)

http://i.imgur.com/46imx.jpg

• Like 2

Why did you use the touchscreen version if you have the Cougar MFDs? The touchscreen part is probably the only reason for that second usb connection so you likely only need two usb ports (the display does not care if the touchscreen is not hooked up). The difference in price here (Amazon US) is enough to pay for the MFDs.

Nicely done though! :thumbup:

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

can these be used for any plane? or just A-10 only?

They can be used to display anything that is exported as a viewport.

Currently the A-10 is the only flyable plane with displays to export. What plane were you thinking about?

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Why did you use the touchscreen version if you have the Cougar MFDs? The touchscreen part is probably the only reason for that second usb connection so you likely only need two usb ports (the display does not care if the touchscreen is not hooked up). The difference in price here (Amazon US) is enough to pay for the MFDs.

Nicely done though! :thumbup:

I thought all the 8" are touchscreen, I know the 7" isn't and I want to fill the whole space.

It needs the second to power the screen, one is for the graphics and the other is just power, I'm sure the non touch versions still need two plugs

I thought all the 8" are touchscreen, I know the 7" isn't and I want to fill the whole space.

It needs the second to power the screen, one is for the graphics and the other is just power, I'm sure the non touch versions still need two plugs

You might be right about the power, the description on Amazon does not specify. This is the non touch model.

http://www.amazon.com/Lilliput-Monitor-non-touch-Screen-Viviteq/dp/B003LS95SG/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1345915307&sr=1-2&keywords=lilliput+um-80

Ka-50 has got exportable displays ;)

It is not an airplane. ;)

can these be used for any plane? or just A-10 only?

@PlainSight

Why would your computer not boot normally with a hub plugged in? I have four or five plugged into my game machine 24/7.

@Jordan4

It isn't that difficult. Off the shelf parts and some file editting. There are plenty of good how-to threads as well.

I ordered two of those monitors last night solely based on this thread. Clear instructions, minimalistic setup and I already had the cougar MFD's. I can't wait to get them. In this game and Falcon BMS, the mfd's have always been the thing I wanted on an external display. TrackIR is a bit irritating. Thanks for the instructions.

• Like 1

I have bought that same HUB and only 2 USB ports would work at a time. I put it on the shelf and got a better one. I'm running 2 USB HUB's a 4 port D-Link and 7 port Belkin.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

They can be used to display anything that is exported as a viewport.

Currently the A-10 is the only flyable plane with displays to export. What plane were you thinking about?

The P-51 has a pilots kneeboard that can be used as a map and I've seen people using it as an export so thats not 100% true.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

Hi i was wondering if this could be done with to android 7 inch tablets? I can get 2 for about 100 bucks and was wondering if i could use them as those displays?

The short answer is no. You may have seen iPads in use doing similar things but that is an iPad app.

There isn't going to be a quick easy way to convince an Android device that it is a monitor AFAIK.

My solution...

1 x monitor 4:3 19", res. 1280x1024 (€40) & in the central position ADI & HSI with Helios... Why spend more with the lilliput monitors?

dscn3139.jpg

Nice touch using the additional wasted space for more gauges. My GF has an old 19" 4:3 LCD gathering dust in a corner. I will make it mine ;P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

Just got mine (a pair of UM-80/c and Cougar MFD Pack), will use them in my "light frame cockpit" (sorry the link is in Russian, but pics are self-explanatory. The good thing about these lilliputs is that they have 75mm VESA mount, which was critical for my planned use.

BTW, in responce to using a single 4:3 19" and "why spend more on these" - in my case a single screen would not work, as I need 2 MFDs apart on both sides.

P.S. does any one of you UM-80 owners know what the secont USB port is used for? (the full-size A-type one behind the little hinged cover on the back)

Edited by SV_huMMer

=================

"Если вы боитесь высоты, значит, вы просто еще не пугались ее отсутствия"

"If you fear heights, you simply haven't yet feared the absence thereof"

=================

Core i7 2600K, ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3, 32GB DDR3 1600, Radeon HD 7950, 256Gb SSD Crucial M4, 2TB Samsung SATAIII, 1,5TB WD SATAIII, 650W Enermax Modu87+

• 3 months later...
Hi i was wondering if this could be done with to android 7 inch tablets? I can get 2 for about 100 bucks and was wondering if i could use them as those displays?

Yes you can. I tried this with app Air Display. Its working but there is little delay.

Yes you can. I tried this with app Air Display. Its working but there is little delay.

My experience with Air Display:

This solution is horribly slow and you lose Aero when you activate the virtual screen. The provided beta driver (here you keep Areo) is very unstable, but at least Helios works then. Tested on my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (quadcore, 2 GB RAM). Not recomended at all.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.