DCS SA342 Gazelle Project

Pat01

I hate to be the one saying that since I am looking forward to that helo and I can see the lots of work you are putting in it, Pat, but I actually don't like the textures.

I don't know how much work you put in those already an I don't know about your abilities or your schedule for those, but to get those textures look really good you might want to ask another texture artist to help you.

Also you might not have to do all those screws in 3D, some of that small structures could be done with normal maps and stuff.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to be the one saying that since I am looking forward to that helo and I can see the lots of work you are putting in it, Pat, but I actually don't like the textures.

I don't know how much work you put in those already an I don't know about your abilities or your schedule for those, but to get those textures look really good you might want to ask another texture artist to help you.

Also you might not have to do all those screws in 3D, some of that small structures could be done with normal maps and stuff.

I agree with you. Keep your focus on making detailed parts which are catching one's eye. You can add screws when there are enough triangles left. :). You wouldn't recognize these screws because you will not get close enough with the camera. For the first step I would suggest Bump and/or Normalmaps.

nevertheless I respect your work. Keep it up :thumbup:

Edited by The_Fragger
spelling ;)

2D/3D Artist

MILTECH-5 /PD

Lead 3D Artist - TrueGrit Virtual Technologies

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

BO-105 PAH1A1/VBH / HKP-9A / BO-105 CBS-5 KLH

Eurofighter Typhoon

https://www.facebook.com/PolyDynamicsDCS/

Windows 10 (x64)

3x Corsair SSD GT 250 GB

Mainboard: Asus STRIX Z390-F

CPU: Intel Core I9-9900K @ 3.60GHz

RAM: 64 Gb

Graphics: MSI GForce GTX 980 TI 4GB

HOTAS Warthog

Hofmann Simpad Rudders

Oculus Rift / Oculus Touch

Heavy Metal is the law ! :punk:

Thanks for the screenies, Pat :)

It's coming along really nicely - textures and the likes are indeed important, but these can come later. I think for now the 3D model, FM and systems are the essential - if my memory doesn't fail me, there were videos of bezcl's MiG-21bis demonstrating JATO and other features where the whole aircraft was either fully white or orange from the outside. My point is, good eye candy can be added later, but it'll only be worth it if the core of it is good.

All devs work in different ways and workflows of course, but as long as the final product works well I couldn't care less.

Tht being said, there is some good advice here, and I think getting another texture artist to work with you would be a good idea later on - even if you can make good textures yourself, having a second pair of eyes and ideas can be helpful, and also release you to focus on the ins and outs of the module.

Keep up the good work! :)

• 1 month later...
Hi everyone,

Work goes on with adding all missing instruments and details to the cockpit.

Please understand I'm at the 3D job now, textures will come later.

The last shot is from the copiot point of view.

Thanks for the update! Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

1338 - beyond leet

ED Forum rules EN|DE|RU

Cockpit looks good :thumbup:.

Edited by The_Fragger

2D/3D Artist

MILTECH-5 /PD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Eurofighter Typhoon

Windows 10 (x64)

3x Corsair SSD GT 250 GB

RAM: 64 Gb

Graphics: MSI GForce GTX 980 TI 4GB

HOTAS Warthog

Hofmann Simpad Rudders

Oculus Rift / Oculus Touch

Heavy Metal is the law ! :punk:

Very nice indeed.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Thanks to you all, Have a merry Christmas.

Merry Christmas to you, too :santa:

2D/3D Artist

MILTECH-5 /PD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Eurofighter Typhoon

Windows 10 (x64)

3x Corsair SSD GT 250 GB