Is 2.5 dynamic weather currently realistic regarding cloud visibility range or not?

D4n

So when I take off and am above the clouds, I see many many clouds all around me but not a single cloud beyond 40 miles or so... is this a real world possible phenomena?

Edited by DanielNL
DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

In the real world - sure.

This is a forecast for NZ:

rain-nz-2018021318-048.gif

You'd probably see similar things happening in various parts of the county (the gap between the islands is about 20km)

Dynamic weather is specifically so that different areas have different weather, so - yes possibly you'd see it in game.

The question is - If you fly more than 40 miles from the airport, are there still clouds over the area you started in ?

Cheers.

If you search the forum, there's a document about it and how to edit the placement of systems from within the .miz files.

I use it quite a lot for SP missions, and basically I put some units where the action will be, then I put 6 systems in and hit generate until the wind directions over the areas of interest and the intersections of the systems (which is where the 'active' weather seems to be) are about where I want them.

Then I save, and F7 / F11 around the map to see if the cloud cover looks as I want it, then I adjust the pressure differences until the wind speeds look OK (which usually means dividing the pressure difference by 10).

Cheers.

So when I take off and am above the clouds, I see many many clouds all around me but not a single cloud beyond 40 miles or so... is this a real world possible phenomena?

It's just a limitation that every 3d engine that exists has to deal with... The farther the view distance limit is set, the more processing power is required... DCS is no different...

@gospadin & Weta43:

Bad, bad boys! You should not delude the poor man into thinking that this is the wonder of DCS dynamic weather instead!!

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

Black Shark 2, FC3, UH-1H, M-2000C, A-10C, MiG-21, Gazelle, Nevada map