MiG-29S "Fulcrum-C" Questions.

FlankerMan

Hello, everyone! I have a few unrelated questions about the MiG-29, and I thought I'd ask them here.

1-Why does the Fulcrum have much less G tolerance than the Su-27S "Flanker-B"? Sometimes I hardly even have to try to get my vision to go dark. The encyclopedia says they both can do 9G, but I hardly ever even pull 6!

2-What's a good way to kill bandits (in this case a Mirage 2000-5 that only has Magic IIs and Super 530Ds) in the BVR range? I launch 1 R-77, wait a short while, and launch another, but they both miss. What am I doing wrong?

The main reason in DCS is because the Mig-29 has a simplified flight model and the Su-27 has an advance flight model

The advance one is coming for the 29 also.

• Like 1

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Okay, but I want to launch before he does, which means over 20km. Basically, how to do BVR kills?

One more unrelated thing: why won't this site let me post screenshots?

When he launch you respond with R-27ER fallow with defensive maneuvers. He will turn side as crazy then he will lost his missile. Then you wait until he turn back on you and you shot R-77 and back again

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Okay, but what if I don't have R-27ERs?

You shot one R-77 first at 25km hold down until he become defensive and when he face you again you will be already into 15km range good enough to shot and forget. Remember you need all the time be in maneuvering defensive fly.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Your second shot will total be wasted if U don't launch them in close range (ie. inside the RTR). Enemy can simply evade both missiles kinetically by turning cold.

If U are hunting AI which only carry SARH missile , your first shot is enough for the pressure(launch at 75-80% Rmax ). Just get closer for the second shot.

Deka Ironwork Tester Team

Okay, but I want to launch before he does, which means over 20km. Basically, how to do BVR kills?

One more unrelated thing: why won't this site let me post screenshots?

True 'BVR kills' are rare seen in DCS due to poor missile performance, especially against skilled human opponent. Against AI opponents it is easier. Here are some tips:

1. Always go for medium range ET shots. Launch them between Rmax and Rtr, if no LA then override. The AIs almost never notice it coming.

2. Besides silent kills, the best way to increase your missile's lethal range is indeed launching them from high altitude and speed. For example an R-77 launching from 25km has a good pK at 10000m but is nearly useless at sea level. Generally speaking altitude of the launcher gives a more significant boost on missile performance than speed. However there are some other concerns if you shot at a very low bandit from very high up, the missiles may not track well due to ground clutters, so better convert your altitude into speed in such scenarios.

Basically you need to get a good 'feeling' of missile performance(both kinetic and tracking) to use them effectively, and that comes from hours of practice.

Loadout that works for me the best in Mig-29 is double 27ER, double 77 and double 73. You can also use 27ET instead of 27ERs but you will lose your range advantage as described below.

First of all, you need intel. Who do you stand against and how is he armed? If you don't know, prepare for worst possible scenario. It is very different when you are fighting against AMRAAMs from F-15 or agains R23s from Mig-23. You need to know those missiles and aircrafts that can carry them.

Following tactics are for AI opponents. Human ones can expect your tactics are react differently than AI and you can easily lose.

1) You are going against AMRAMs

You have range advantage with 27ERs. Launch first missile at max. range. It won't have any chance to hit but it will drive enemy to go defensive soon - before he can fire at you his AMRAM (if you don't allow him to have significant altitude advantage). Fly still supersonic towards him and close distance fast before he consider you missile as defeated. That will be when he starts turn back to you. In this moment launch kill missile (could be second 27ER or 77, you should be in effective range for both of them).

2) You are going against 27ERs

Situation is basically the same as against AMRAMs. Just be careful that this approach does not work against human opponents. They know that max range missile has no probability to hit (and they know the range as they have same missile) so they are ok to launch their missile a bit later which will kill you and they will be safe (slowing down, climb or turn just few degrees is enough to avoid max range missile while you can still maintain radar lock for your missile).

3) 77 strategy

Although 77 is fire&forget missile, you must keep in mind that missile has weaker radar than your plane. Thus it might not be able to track the target from range it is released and might need a bit guidance from your radar to get closer to lock target on its own. Biggest strength of 77 (and reason why Su27s/33s in versions we have them in DCS have not those missiles in arsenal) is the radar which can guide multiple missiles at once for different targets. Two at once in case of Mig29S. It is possible while radar is in TWS2 mode. Details how to do it you can find on Youtube.

4) 27ET usage strategy

Missile has quite nice range but needs to acquire IR lock in order to get LA. And this is usually way smaller range than its maximum or even effective range (especially when you are head to head with opponent and you cant see its hot exhausts). However you can launch the missile even without LA (LA override). It will not guide, however it may acquire the target once it gets closer and start guiding from there. You need to shoot the missile in the enemy's direction and enemy need to not maneuver. So the missile will scan the sky where the target is. Good thing is that you can fire this missile without radar lock and enemy won't be aware about the threat, thus won't maneuver. The last note - ET perform way better than ER when shot from shorter distance against maneuvering targets.

5) 73 usage strategy

This is greatest strength of Mig29. Use targeting by helmet (5) and in turning fight you can lock and fire on target from very big angle. Generally (applies to 27ET as well) you should engage optical mode (O) and turn of radar (I) when you are using IR missiles. It is because enemy won't be aware about your presence or when the threat is coming from (see video below, part against two F-4s). Optical mode has similar symbology as radar mode but different logic (for example target on the top of the HUD does not mean further, but really above). Again, find some Youtube guide.

6) cannon usage strategy

Mig29 has POWERFUL cannon. Just few 30 mm shells will shred target into pieces. It is effective against both, air and ground targets. Apply same strategy as with IR missiles: turn of the radar and attack from below or above. Try to avoid detection of enemy radar and don't let them know about you by turning on yours. Mig29 is extremely powerful in dogfights. It performs extremely well in turning fights, can handle huge AOAs and support them with engine power. And with helmet targeting it is really deadly. See this video of me flying on PvE server with Mig29. With air-to-ground payload I manage to kill 6 enemies in 1 flight.

And also - do not expect every missile to hit. Especially R27ERs are not very reliable. For that reason they is fired in multiple numbers on same target IRL.

Edited by _SeaFox_