"Heatblur Forge" - Dynamic cockpits

flybull

They took a museum plane as a model. That plane was used and worn out.

That's half true - we scanned museum aircraft, of course, but we did not model the weathering of the cockpit one to one of that of a museum aircraft, I mean, we're aware that that's not how they looked in service, haha. To the contreray, quite some of the wear and tear is modelled to cockpit pictures, close ups and details from cockpits in use in the early 80s, just a couple years in. It was common usus to just pain over paint and so on...

And speaking of museum wear: it is not like it is getting worn down in museums, often to the contrary: it gets polished up, overpainted, etc.. but the wear from actual use and flying that is still present in some museum cockpits, of course was also done in majority when the bird was still flying. :)

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Mike...........I drive an old beat to crap Jeep. Lifted, with big mud tires, worn out black paint, always muddy, but she's my baby and a hell of a hunting Jeep that gets me places I can hardly walk.

So, worn doesn't bother me. ;)

Buzz

The plane is fine the way it is...the weathering just makes the plane feel more authentic and like it has seen its fair share of use. A clean F-14 just means Heatblur didn't give a shit about making the plane feel authentic.

And so what if some of the labels are hard to read in VR - if you're reaching down near your hips, it means you're either starting the plane or flying when it's pretty damn slow outside anyways. I'm never reaching down there when it's hot around you.

So...a newer build aircraft isn't authentic? When you buy a new car do you take it to the petting zoo and leave a few goats in it for a couple days to make it more 'authentic'?

Interesting thought.

Sad to hear Heatblur spent a couple years distressing a cockpit based on a couple photos. Yeah, the first aircraft off the line probably looked like that in the early 80s, but too much is too much. None of the aircraft I stuck my head in (in the mid 80s) were half that bad.

Which isn't to say they didn't do a good job. When they do something to excess they take 'excess' to glorious heights. Can't wait to see what they come up with next. An 'A' model so worn out you need a pair of pliers to manipulate the controls?

<edit>

I want to make clear there is very little snark intended on this post; Heatblur's F-14 is a work of art, and sets a new standard everyone else will struggle to meet. Like their weathering or not (I'm not fond of the degree) they did it extremely well, and I've got my wallet out and ready when they come up with something new. You can't say no to this kind of quality work.

</edit>

Edited by Raisuli
  • Like 1

So...a newer build aircraft isn't authentic? When you buy a new car do you take it to the petting zoo and leave a few goats in it for a couple days to make it more 'authentic'?

Interesting thought.

Sad to hear Heatblur spent a couple years distressing a cockpit based on a couple photos. Yeah, the first aircraft off the line probably looked like that in the early 80s, but too much is too much. None of the aircraft I stuck my head in (in the mid 80s) were half that bad.

Which isn't to say they didn't do a good job. When they do something to excess they take 'excess' to glorious heights. Can't wait to see what they come up with next. An 'A' model so worn out you need a pair of pliers to manipulate the controls?

I want to make clear there is very little snark intended on this post; Heatblur's F-14 is a work of art, and sets a new standard everyone else will struggle to meet. Like their weathering or not (I'm not fond of the degree) they did it extremely well, and I've got my wallet out and ready when they come up with something new. You can't say no to this kind of quality work.

If it's anything like the some of the race cars I've driven, it is impossible to keep the inside even remotely clean... And that's just at a race track. For them, We're talking about ocean salt, hydraulic fluids, jet gas, and whatever else lives on the flight deck. And honestly, the ride has been verified by SMEs... so when HBs SME jump in and say this is what their actual Tomcat ride looked like and it's like jumping back into the real thing, that's all I have to go by and that's more than enough for me because honestly, anything else at best, is just a guess.

And ya, my own track car and the race cars I've been in all looks like a llama took a dump in it

Edit: this was posted over on Hoggit: handprints on the belly of the jet. The kids working on the planes definitely didn't care about making it look clean, lol.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

d59a00d169a698457d2139eee4949765.jpg

Edited by Redliner7

Cannot believe that this is getting people riled up! I guess humans are drama machines.

I like the weathered cockpit. It means I am strapping on a working bird not a showroom queen. There are no showroom queens on the carrier.

The last time this was, um, discussed, the consensus from folks who 'Been There, Done That", was that everything was spot on ... EXCEPT for the rust. Rust would apparently never been allowed to stay on any part of the aircraft. But everythiing else, from the wear to the scratches to the faded labels, etc. all ring absolutely true.

Sure, a pristine bird is "authentic", in the sense that every airframe once looked like that. But by the time it gets to work on the carrier, from day 2 onewards, it NEVER (I'm told) looks like that. And sometimes it looks a lot worse. There are some great photos showing working Tomcats during the Gulf War tthat loooked like they just came out of mudfight. Shortage of water ...

Not intended as an argument for or against but FYI our current cockpit is verified by virtually all of our SME's (pilots, RIOs and airmen) as authentic and representative of an active, in use aircraft at the time we've chosen to represent them.

Not intended as an argument for or against but FYI our current cockpit is verified by virtually all of our SME's (pilots, RIOs and airmen) as authentic and representative of an active, in use aircraft at the time we've chosen to represent them.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

And this is why we (or at least, I) love it!

Sad to hear Heatblur spent a couple years distressing a cockpit based on a couple photos.

Just to add here that this is taking what I said a bit too literally of course. In no way would it have been possible to do the pit as is just by photos, or just by museum aircraft or just by scan or just by listening to SMEs... it is all that and much more and loads and loads of studying and comparing and decision making and so forth. The idea behind the cockpit is to hide little stories for you to uncover, or place therein. But, it's not like we looked at 1 photo and went, yep, let's do that. :D

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

Just to add here that this is taking what I said a bit too literally of course. In no way would it have been possible to do the pit as is just by photos, or just by museum aircraft or just by scan or just by listening to SMEs... it is all that and much more and loads and loads of studying and comparing and decision making and so forth. The idea behind the cockpit is to hide little stories for you to uncover, or place therein. But, it's not like we looked at 1 photo and went, yep, let's do that. :D

No! I didn't mean 'one photo'! Goodness no. I said a 'couple', at least two! Grainy, black a white, taken in bad lighting and a little out of focus...

:D

It says something about the quality of your work that the biggest gripe seems to be wearin the cockpit. Not the implementation, just the extent.

So, I'd like to add an additional gripe that's at least that important and dramatic.

The default F-14 wallpaper sucks. There, I said it out loud.

Cannot believe that this is getting people riled up! I guess humans are drama machines.

I wouldn't call it drama. Just a discussion.

It's a work of art in my opinion. In functionality as well as looks. It captures a "seat of the pants" feeling better than just about anything in DCS. Anyone avoiding it is just missing out.

If they had made it showroom clean we would have the same discussion, if not louder.

It's all good.

So this might be a question way out of left field, but @heatblur is there any chance of a cockpit texture template like those for the external textures?

I'd like to make a full cockpit texture set, but it's really tough to do from the exsitent dds files.

I'm actually not sure, I need to ask Cobra.

Heatblur Simulations

• 8 months later...
We're now focusing on finishing all important features first and then we'll be able to see in what extension this will be possible.

Forge however is the entire process we used for the F-14, including the new technologies that we developed in order to make it work. Dynamic cockpits are just one possible result from it. Another is Jester for example, the FM, the model and graphics/textures, the RWR, the INS, the raycasting radar... in short, a workflow that aims at innovation and a new level or dimension of fidelity or features.

Oh shit I remember this now!

please dont give up on this HB the possibilities are HUGE

I may not be HB, but i belive that means the A and the B will have different pits. I don't know how accurate this is tho, so don't take my word for it.

by default they have diff pits

and also they released a screen. where the TID is theres a huge VSI gauge