DCS World 1.5 and 2 Discussion

Wags

• ED Team

DCS World 1.5 and 2 Discussion

Note: Please stay on topic. Off topic posts will be removed. This thread will be heavily moderated.

We also ask that you please abide by our forum rules:

http://forums.eagle.ru/rules.php#en

In particular:

1.10. - Product feedback and constructive criticism is encouraged when provided in a mature and courteous manner. However, feedback that is abusive, insulting or condescending is not welcome. Additionally, to bring up a particular issue repeatedly after it has already been acknowledged will be considered "trolling" - in such cases a warning will be issued to the author and the post will be removed.

Please note: When there is new news it will be posted in this post or as part of an official newsletter. We have no set schedule for news updates and news will be provided only when we feel there is newsworthy items to pass along.

DCS World 2

DCS World 2 is the next iteration of the Digital Combat Simulator (DCS) series that will include a new graphics engine (developed in our Eagle Dynamics Graphics Engine development environment). It will be a FREE update and all of your DCS World module keys will work with it. In addition to the new graphics engine, DCS World 2 will also usher in the ability to have multiple maps integrated into DCS (both developed by Eagle Dynamics and our 3rd party partners). Maps currently in developed include the Nevada Test and Training Range (NTTR), Strait of Hormuz, and Europe 1944. The Map SDK is available to qualified 3rd party development teams. Interested parties can PM me with detailed proposals.

Some features we plan to include in DCS World 2 include:

• Direct X 11 support
  • Improved performance
  • Dynamic shadowing of the terrain and mountains
  • Improved weather
  • Improved lighting
  • Clipmap support for new maps
  • Higher object counts
  • Higher resolution ground terrain mesh and textures for new maps (between 1 and 64 meters per pixel depending on area of map and clipmap level)
  • More detailed tree models with collision for new maps
  • Better graphical effects
  • High resolution road textures for new maps
  • Ability for road signs and light signals for new maps
  • Additional ground clutter (rocks, cactuses, etc.) for new maps
  • Skeleton animation for infantry
  • Better use of multiple GPUs (CPU multi-threading is not being pursued as it will provide little if any gain)
  • Ability to create dedicated servers in the future
  • Unified front end and simulation .exe
  • Improved API sound support
  • Improved Oculus Rift support

Several of the features will probably not be available when the DCS World 2 is first launched as an open beta. This includes improved weather and dedicated server.

The Black Sea map will see several benefits of this including better lighting, improved grass, effects and weather.

DCS World 1.5

Prior to the release of DCS World 2, DCS World 1.5 will be released. This version will be the much the same as described above for DCS World 2 but will NOT include the ability to use new maps and several of the new map features. We plan to release DCS World 1.5 along side DCS: L-39 Albatros in September 2015. Items of DCS World 1.5 include:

• Direct X 11 support
  • Improved performance
  • Improved lighting
  • Better graphical effects (contrails and missile smoke trails)
  • Better use of multiple GPUs (CPU multi-threading is not being pursued as it will provide little if any gain)

The Nevada Test and Training Range (NTTR) Map

The first new map being developed for DCS World 2 is the NTTR map.

This map originally started as a third party project with no input from Eagle Dynamics. However, as we started to develop DCS: A-10C, we realized that this map could serve as a great location for the A-10C training missions. To make this happen, we officially partnered with the third party team to help make this happen. We were so confident in this endeavor that we included a very early version as part of the original A-10C beta.

Unfortunately, due to several reasons, the third party team dissolved and Eagle was left holding the bag of a promised NTTR map to customers that had purchased it as part of A-10C. After taking over the project, it soon became apparent that the current engine was incapable of running the map at the desired quality levels vs. performance. In order to realize this map as first envisioned, an entirely new image generator would be required... this later became a key element of the new graphics engine.

Building a new graphics engine is never an easy or fast task and DCS World 2 has proved no different. However, the NTTR map has provided an excellent test bed for the new map rendering technologies. So, all that being said, the NTTR was developed for the following reasons:

1- For training missions of western aircraft.

2- To honor A-10C beta purchases.

3- Allow creation of Red Flag type missions centered on the NTTR.

4- New map technology test bed.

Some facts about the NTTR map:

• Airfields include Nellis AFB, Groom Lake AFB, Creech AFB, and Las Vegas McCarren. At a later point we hope to also add Tonopah AFB.
  • The map is approximately 600 x 610 km. The airfield locations have the greatest detail (elevation mesh and textures of 2 meters per pixel), the center area of the map between the airfields (as indicted by the area covered by roads in the attached image) has the second highest detail (4-8 meters per pixel), and the area along the outside portions of the map have the least detail (16 to 64 meters per pixel). Attached are images from low, medium and high altitude from low, medium and high detail areas of the map.
  • We hope to release an Alpha test version within the next couple of months depending how debugging goes.
  • Currently, most of the art aspects are complete and most of the remaining work is in regards to integrating the map into DCS World 2 (AI, effects, collisions, weather, etc.)
  • An Alpha test version of the NTTR map will be made available for free to those customers that purchased the A-10C beta. For those that did not take part in the A-10C beta, the NTTR map price and availability is TBD

Those users getting the map for free from the A-10C beta will have to purchase the A-10C & F-15C Red Flag Campaigns separately.

Thanks

attachment.php?attachmentid=108560&d=1417708206

attachment.php?attachmentid=108561&d=1417708206

Edited by NineLine

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the cleanup...

Is it planned to adapt the current map to EDGE?

I'm well aware that this may mean to completely rebuild the whole map...

But regarding the very interesting topography of the area, the political background etc. etc.

Also the collidable trees would add a lot to the map :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] Waiting to build a F/A-18C home-pit...

ex - Swiss Air Force Pilatus PC-21 Ground Crew

SFM? AFM? EFM?? What's this?

i7-5960X (8 core @3.00GHz)¦32GB DDR4 RAM¦Asus X99-WS/IPMI¦2x GTX970 4GB SLI¦Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD¦TrackIR 5 Pro¦TM Warthog¦MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Quick question...how can one be deemed or become qualified for the map SDK?

Also good news for those that bought the A-10C beta to get access to the NTTR alpha! I'm not one of the fortunate ones, but I am happy for you guys/gals.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

• ED Team
Thanks for the cleanup...

Is it planned to adapt the current map to EDGE?

I'm well aware that this may mean to completely rebuild the whole map...

But regarding the very interesting topography of the area, the political background etc. etc.

Also the collidable trees would add a lot to the map :thumbup:

The current map will run in EDGE, so wont benefit from all the goodness EDGE brings, but you can see with the vids for the 109, 190 and Su-27, the old map looks much better.

Collidable trees would be awesome.... but its all dependant on performance at this point, and they just havent said anything yet about it...

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• ED Team
Quick question...how can one be deemed or become qualified for the map SDK?

Also good news for those that bought the A-10C beta to get access to the NTTR alpha! I'm not one of the fortunate ones, but I am happy for you guys/gals.

Past experience with map building, or other development experience, access to the high quality data required for the maps for starters...

64Sig.png

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Since there are three levels of terrain mesh, what are we seeing in the second picture?

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I don't see a mention of a dedicated server anymore is that still planned?

• Direct X 11 support
  • Improved weather
  • Improved lighting
  • Higher object counts
  • Higher resolution ground terrain mesh for new maps
  • More detailed and solid tree models for new maps

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Ability to create dedicated servers in the future

The third from the end

• Direct X 11 support
  • Improved weather
  • Improved lighting
  • Higher object counts
  • Higher resolution ground terrain mesh for new maps
  • More detailed and solid tree models for new maps

I read the list multiple times and still missed it lol.

Bummer on delay but good to get solid info and change list looks great. Hope 3d and the rift are fully realized and blow us out of water with the new engine.

Absolutely can't wait to test out the alpha release of Nevada! That's a great idea to get a bigger test bed !

Edited by rcjonessnp175

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

Mallet;2257030']Looking forward to this next evolution of the World. Been here from the original release of Blackshark and have enjoyed the journey so far. Thanks for the update.

Same here and awesome on the trees!!!

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

• ED Team
Since there are three levels of terrain mesh, what are we seeing in the second picture?

I want to say that was a medium detail level area, but I am not 100% sure.

edit: Just checked, yes, 2nd level/medium level.

Edited by NineLine

64Sig.png

I want to say that was a medium detail level area, but I am not 100% sure.

edit: Just checked, yes, 2nd level/medium level.

What resolution are the levels?

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• Direct X 11 support
  • Improved weather
  • Improved lighting
  • Higher object counts
  • Higher resolution ground terrain mesh and textures for new maps (between 1 and 64 meters per pixel depending on area of map and clipmap level)

The OP has changed. Now it say that trees will be collisionable.

• Direct X 11 support
  • Improved weather
  • Improved lighting
  • Higher object counts

The OP has changed. Now it say that trees will be collisionable.

Ya baby epic news

How much space does DCS World (without modules) on the hard drive?

And how much need there space with the NTTR map?

Simpit Software by SDA "SIMPIT DEVELOPER ASSOCIATION"

• DCS ExportScript
  • D.A.C. DCS to Arcaze Communicator
  • Ikarus a new Virtual Cockpit Software

Deutscher Forums Thread

English Forums Thread

Hard/Software: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, 32 GiB RAM, extra SSD for Windows 10 and DCS World, AMD Vega Frontier Edition with 16 GiB VRAM