Video board GTX 480 vs GTX 580

I just replaced my GTX 480 SC with a GTX 580 SC and I did not notice and changes in frame rate.

I am running with all settings at high except Civ Traffic which is turned off. My resolution 1920x1200. MSAA 8x. Sitting in a power-down cockpit at Batumi looking straight ahead, I get about 35 fps. If I look to my right at the buildings and trees the frame rate drops to about 17 fps. After take-off I make a right departure turn and follow the coastline, if I look to the left at the sun and ocean I get about 60 fps, and if I look to the right down at Batumi city it drops to about 17 fps. While flying with both TGP/MAV on both MFCD's I get about 16 to 11 fps depending on where I am.

The good news is that the GTX 580 runs about 15% cooler. Downloading Beta 3 update now will update you later if I notice any changes frame rate.

Gonzo :)

Damn with your system you'd hope for 50fps all the time, but it is beta. I did notice beta 3 ran better for me than beta 2. A lot better, actually.

Also they did say Beta 4 will be the one where they do the most fps increase stuff.

I'll be interested to hear your results with beta 3 as I will be building a similar system myself really soon.

Gonzo, you hardwarefreak !!!! :-)

Keep us informed with your results in beta 3. thanks

i plan to upgrade my old 275 to 580 gtx.

[sigpic][/sigpic]

MB MSI x570 Prestige Creation, RYzen 9 3900X, 32 Gb Ram 3333MHz, cooler Dark rock PRO 4, eVGA 1080Ti, 32 inch BenQ 32011pt, saitek X52Pro, HP Reverb, win 10 64bit

My Asus GTX580 shipped today. Exhanging it with my GTX480 due to heat and powerusage. GTX580 should be a big improvement on those departments :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I7 3930K.

16Gb Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz.

Asus P9X79 Deluxe.

Asus GTX680 2Gb.

Auzentech Home Theater 3D Sound.

TM Warthog HOTAS.

TM Cougar MFD's.

Saitek Flight Pro pedals.

TrackIR 5.

Samsung Syncmaster P2770FH

Lower your view distance and the frame rate will improve drastically.

The game is still cpu limited if you have such an powerful graphics card as the GTX480.

Win10-X64, I5,-8600K oc-4,8Ghz, 16GB DDR4, MSI RTX 2080ti, HOTAS Warthog, MFG crosswind pedals, KW-908 Jetseat , HTC Vive with lens mod.

Gonzo, try to OC your CPU. I've got the same like yours and the only mean to get major FPS increase for me is to tune up my CPU to around 3.6 GHz. I also have changed my old 8800 GTX to two overclocked GTX 460s in SLI but they didn't cause too much FPS increase. The game is mainly CPU dependant, but despite the 6 cores, someone with a dual CPU around 4 GHz can get better results. Sad, but true:cry:

ASUS P6X58D Premium, Intel Core i7 980X 3.33 Ghz Extreme, 12 Gb Corsair DDR 3 1600 Mhz, 2x 1 Gb Geforce 460 GTX GLH in SLI , X52 Pro, Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Logitech G15, TrackIR 4 Pro, 600 Gb Sata 3 WD Velociraptor 10000 RPM, 1000 W Corsair PSU, HOTAS WARTHOG

I ran the same setup as described above with the same mission, the only difference is that I am now using Beta 3. I have to say the frame rate might be 1 or 2 fps second better, but really about the same. I can't say that 1 or 2 fps increase is being caused by the card or just how I am sitting with track IR. The only good thing is that I am not seeing the GTX 580 SC maxed out like the GTX 480 SC was while measuring the GPU usage.

Not sure how to mess with CPU settings in bios so everything is set to default.

Hope this helps.

Gonzo

Edited by Gonzo01

I noticed a large increase in FPS with Beta 3, compared to Beta1/2. The ONE thing that is absolutely killing my fps are using the TGP over a wide distance with alot of buildings in view, even worse for some reason is the MAV seeker during the same conditions. Im running a gtx 580 too, and the fps can be everything from 60 down to 35, but when swithcing on the MAV Im down to 12 =)

/Jax

"Dogfight: He who pulls the stick most violently shall win"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

FSSB R3 Warthog - Cougar TUSBA - TPR - Valve Index - AW3418DW

i7-6700K OC @4.9GHz - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - Trident Z CL14 32GB 3200MHz - M.2 950 PRO 512GB + MP510 1920 GB

From rewiews I've read the 580 is approx 10-15% faster with less heat. This sim is CPU limited so i doubt youd notice much of a diffference. Hopefully in the future they will offload some more work from the CPU to the GPU with DirectCompute/DX11. Until then get the fastest CPU you can and overclock it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

GTX 580 here as well now, upgraded from GTX 295. The frame rate is only a little noticably better. But the smoothness is MUCH better - i.e. minimum frame rate it rarely drops too low.

I think the max frame rate where it goes down to 20 at airbases could be limited by CPU or hard disk. I have 4Ghz overclocked i7 though! But I run at 2560x1600.

Also using MSI Afterburner I overclocked my gtx 580 an extra 10%, just for that little bit extra ;) I did not touch voltage, and it's stable.

Pimax Crystal VR & Simpit User | Ryzen CPU & Nvidia RTX GPU | Some of my mods

GTX 580 here as well now, upgraded from GTX 295. The frame rate is only a little noticably better. But the smoothness is MUCH better - i.e. minimum frame rate it rarely drops too low.

I think the max frame rate where it goes down to 20 at airbases could be limited by CPU or hard disk. I have 4Ghz overclocked i7 though! But I run at 2560x1600.

Also using MSI Afterburner I overclocked my gtx 580 an extra 10%, just for that little bit extra ;) I did not touch voltage, and it's stable.

Hey Taipan how is rise of the flight ? Im very curious about it, and i lack a WW1 sim. My last is red baron 3d which i remember fondly.

Sorry the OT.

The 580 is a mainly upgrade in achitecture aiming at power usage and heat generation.

This mean right now it aint much worth over a 480 or even some SLI.

But those who will wait for "premium" 580 cards will be rewarded with more features and better cooling, this mean better overclock capacity.

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

wow, what a difference in heat. GTX480 idle at 55-60 on my system. GTX580 idles at 39 :)

Not to mention the fan noise. Totally gone. Even when playing on full load :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I7 3930K.

Asus P9X79 Deluxe.

Asus GTX680 2Gb.

TM Warthog HOTAS.

TM Cougar MFD's.

TrackIR 5.

wow, what a difference in heat. GTX480 idle at 55-60 on my system. GTX580 idles at 39 :)

Not to mention the fan noise. Totally gone. Even when playing on full load :D

You need to update you Signature...

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

You need to update you Signature...

Done ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I7 3930K.

Asus P9X79 Deluxe.

Asus GTX680 2Gb.

TM Warthog HOTAS.

TM Cougar MFD's.

TrackIR 5.

I just replaced my GTX 480 SC with a GTX 580 SC and I did not notice and changes in frame rate.

I am running with all settings at high except Civ Traffic which is turned off. My resolution 1920x1200. MSAA 8x. Sitting in a power-down cockpit at Batumi looking straight ahead, I get about 35 fps. If I look to my right at the buildings and trees the frame rate drops to about 17 fps. After take-off I make a right departure turn and follow the coastline, if I look to the left at the sun and ocean I get about 60 fps, and if I look to the right down at Batumi city it drops to about 17 fps. While flying with both TGP/MAV on both MFCD's I get about 16 to 11 fps depending on where I am.

The good news is that the GTX 580 runs about 15% cooler. Downloading Beta 3 update now will update you later if I notice any changes frame rate.

Gonzo :)

As I said earlier there is realty no noticable frame rate increase from Beta 2 to Beta 3. I tried 1 EVGA 480 GTX, 2 EVGA 480 GTX in SLI and now 1 EVGA 580 GTX. All are great cards and will give you good performance, but they will all get bog down when you flying low over Batumi airfield and look at the city, or by using both the Mav Sensor and TGP at the same time. I have seen the same frame rates from all 3 setups running an Intel core i7 980X Extreme Edition Processor. (14 to 63 fps.).

I think the real test will be after ED starts to performance tunes the next release. By the way, GTX 580 runs about 15% cooler. I guess I won't be able to heat my office this winter with my computer.

Edited by Gonzo01

I think the real test will be after ED starts to performance tunes the next release. By the way, GTX 580 runs about 15% cooler. I guess I won't be able to heat my office this winter with my computer.

480 SLI...during winter to eat the feets...:D

580 single in summer to cool the beer..:drink:

Guys, relax.

I run Beta3 on 8800Ultra and Core 2 Duo (both overclocked and watercooled, CPU 4,5Ghz) on 30" monitor (2560*1600 resolution) and I have 25-35 fps in cockpit with MAV image on. All game setting on max (except water and TSAA, HDR), AA=2, AF=16.

CPU frequency is the key. I would never use Intel Core i7 980x Extreme Edition 3.33GHz on its default clock - it's MEANT to be overclocked to 4Ghz and higher. You're paying many-many bucks for unlocked multiplier and use it on default... :wallbash:

I was thinking about changing my system early next year to SandyBridge+580 but with latest Beta (and next promised optimizations in Beta 4) I simply don't understand why I need to upgrade my 3 year old system.

Great job, DCS, with last Beta!

Wait until beta 4 comes out. Let the optimizations take effect. I've read where some people only see 3-6 fps increase with insane overclocks. That doesn't seem worth it to me, but it may vary. All I can say is that I'm waiting to see what the optimizations do!

Do you guys with 480 or 580 see any increase in frame rate by going down to only 2 msaa, no tsaa or hdr?

asus p7p55d deluxe | intel i5-750 @ stock | g.skill ripjaw 4gb | asus geforce gtx 470 @ stock | trackir 4 | thrustmaster hotas warthog | win7 home premium 64bit

Hey Taipan how is rise of the flight ? Im very curious about it, and i lack a WW1 sim. My last is red baron 3d which i remember fondly.

Sorry the OT.

The 580 is a mainly upgrade in achitecture aiming at power usage and heat generation.

This mean right now it aint much worth over a 480 or even some SLI.

But those who will wait for "premium" 580 cards will be rewarded with more features and better cooling, this mean better overclock capacity.

Rise of Flight is fantastic, but see for yourself if you want a 2 week demo http://www.riseofflight.com/tryrof

It occupies the most of my time on the computer, with very competitive PvP online. Much more realistic flying than IL-2, but WW1 does have to be your thing as they are slower planes but much tighter turn circles. They do FEEL faster though because the game engine is better than IL-2 and you have the wind in your face.

To compare to Red Baron 3D, if you remember the campaign they are now making a rise of flight dynamic career/campaign mode, supposed to be coming out at the end of the year in a major patch.

You are right about the 580, I got it now because I'm impatient :) If you have a 480 there is no point upgrading, I did because I was on GTX 295. There are rumours (not official) about a 3GB version of the 580, because they called this the "1.5GB version".

For cooling and overclocking ability, I don't know how they CAN get much better, the advances are great. Mine is overclocked 10% and my temps go between 50 idle and 65 gaming. I do have a coolermaster high airflow case but still it's nice and cool and quiet.

For SLI - does DCS really support SLI? I had heard that it gives < 10% performance boost so there is no point?

Rise of Flight is fantastic, but see for yourself if you want a 2 week demo http://www.riseofflight.com/tryrof

It occupies the most of my time on the computer, with very competitive PvP online. Much more realistic flying than IL-2, but WW1 does have to be your thing as they are slower planes but much tighter turn circles. They do FEEL faster though because the game engine is better than IL-2 and you have the wind in your face.

To compare to Red Baron 3D, if you remember the campaign they are now making a rise of flight dynamic career/campaign mode, supposed to be coming out at the end of the year in a major patch.

You are right about the 580, I got it now because I'm impatient :) If you have a 480 there is no point upgrading, I did because I was on GTX 295. There are rumours (not official) about a 3GB version of the 580, because they called this the "1.5GB version".

For cooling and overclocking ability, I don't know how they CAN get much better, the advances are great. Mine is overclocked 10% and my temps go between 50 idle and 65 gaming. I do have a coolermaster high airflow case but still it's nice and cool and quiet.

For SLI - does DCS really support SLI? I had heard that it gives < 10% performance boost so there is no point?

Good to know!

I miss some WW1 on my PC, i think the ADD planes are to expensive too, and due to connex and loe QTTY of players in my country it wont be worth it. But when they release the Dynamic campaign i ll jump the train.

Already given myself my birthday (major PC upgrade)and Xmass (Warthog) gifts so i´ll have to wait january february...

Thank you.

I ran the same setup as described above with the same mission, the only difference is that I am now using Beta 3. I have to say the frame rate might be 1 or 2 fps second better, but really about the same. I can't say that 1 or 2 fps increase is being caused by the card or just how I am sitting with track IR. The only good thing is that I am not seeing the GTX 580 SC maxed out like the GTX 480 SC was while measuring the GPU usage.

Not sure how to mess with CPU settings in bios so everything is set to default.

Hope this helps.

Gonzo

Gonzo

What tool are you using to measure GPU usage? I downloaded GPU-Z but it doesn't have the good graphing capabilities of rivatuner, but then rivatiner doesnt support new 580's

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

Good to know!

I miss some WW1 on my PC, i think the ADD planes are to expensive too, and due to connex and loe QTTY of players in my country it wont be worth it. But when they release the Dynamic campaign i ll jump the train.

Already given myself my birthday (major PC upgrade)and Xmass (Warthog) gifts so i´ll have to wait january february...

Thank you.

You only need to buy which planes you like, and you get 8 with the iron cross edition. But having the choice is great. However for multiplayer you do need to buy one 1916 plane for the early war maps, as the boxed version only comes with 1917/1918 planes.

You do need about 20 hours stick time to master each plane and to fight competitively, so you certainly won't need all 20! For example the camel you will spin to your death every fight until you have at least 10 hours, then another 20 hours to become good with it.

Even though I fly exclusively multiplayer now, I want the career mode as I'll switch to that for a while when it comes out. I just like to get medals and go through the squadron history, promotions, moving of bases etc. I want my login screen covered with medals :megalol:

On the GTX 580, rise of flight I have all settings maxed and the FPS stays at 60 (my refresh rate). It never leaves 60, EVER.

Black shark and FC2 are at 60 most of the time at 2560x1600. A-10C goes between 20-60 but I'm looking forward to optimised version.

Guys, relax.

I run Beta3 on 8800Ultra and Core 2 Duo (both overclocked and watercooled, CPU 4,5Ghz) on 30" monitor (2560*1600 resolution) and I have 25-35 fps in cockpit with MAV image on. All game setting on max (except water and TSAA, HDR), AA=2, AF=16.

CPU frequency is the key. I would never use Intel Core i7 980x Extreme Edition 3.33GHz on its default clock - it's MEANT to be overclocked to 4Ghz and higher. You're paying many-many bucks for unlocked multiplier and use it on default... :wallbash:

I was thinking about changing my system early next year to SandyBridge+580 but with latest Beta (and next promised optimizations in Beta 4) I simply don't understand why I need to upgrade my 3 year old system.

Great job, DCS, with last Beta!

I have a similar system and im thinking of upgrading next year to SB. I also have a 30" monitor at 2560x1600. Im very interested in your results because not many people run at such high resolutions so im wondering if at 2560x1600 and such a high clockspeed there is an element on GPU bottlenecking?

I have a C2D at 3.6ghz and a GTX 260 (216). For BS there is no need to for a faster GPU even at my res with eyecandy turned up to max.

Could you run some tests for me? Could you compare your FPS with different graphical settings? eg Average and minimum FPS using Low and high settings. HDR on/off. AA and AF on/off etc.

Many thanks. My next system will likely be an overclocked SB but im unsure whether I need to upgrade my GTX260 or not. The only worthwhile upgrade would be to 580/6970 but id rather save the £400 if possible.

Edited by ///Rage

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22