3-monitor setup only displays on center monitor

Hi Group,

I'm a new DCS user trying to setup 3 monitors. My system has been running fine with 3 monitors using X-plane 11 for 6 months. I decided to add DCS to my 3-monitor system. After installing DCS and adding an F18 and Nevada terrain, it ran fine using standard defaults on the single FULL SCREEN setting. My monitors are all the same ASUS 27" 1440 x 2560 res. at 50 degree angles--all 3 screens total 7680 x 1440 res.

I then decided to setup the 3-screen option. After reviewing a 'how to' video online and reading some related posts on this forum, I made the following changes to DCS:

1. In DCS 'OPTIONS - CONTROLS':

Changed screen res. = 7680 x 1440

Changed aspect ration = 5.33333333

Changed 1 screen = 3 screen

2. Changed Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\MonitorSetup\3Cameras.lua to read:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_ = function(p) return p; end;

name = _('3 Screen');

Description = 'Configuration with 3 identical monitors each with its own camera'

Viewports =

{

Left =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 2560;

height = 1440;

viewDx = -1;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 5.333;

},

Center =

{

x = 853.333;

y = 0;

width = 2560;

height = 1440;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 5.333;

},

Right =

{

x = 1706.666;

y = 0;

width = 2560;

height = 1440;

viewDx = 1;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 5.333;

}

}

UIMainView = Viewports.Center

GU_MAIN_VIEWPORT = Viewports.Center

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. I restarted the SIM computer and opened DCS. Only the 1/3 of the center screen displayed DCS. Neither the left or right screen showed DCS.

4. The center monitor displays the opening DCS screen horizontally COMPRESSED into a 1/3 wide strip in the center. The remaining portions of the center screen are solid black on the left and right.

5. Then I opened DCS OPTIONS from the main screen to check setting in CONTROLS. Only a portion of this screen can be viewed. Some values had changed as follows:

Screen res. = 2560 x 1440 (changed)

Aspect ration = 1.66666666 (changed)

1 screen = 3 screen (no change)

6. Because of the compressed screen size, I the 'OK' button to ACCEPT CHANGES is off the screen and can't be viewed to click it. So, while I can change the values, I can't SAVE the changes!

7. I tried many things to restore DCS back to 1 full size screen with no luck. It only starts up now with a narrow center strip screen.

---------------------------- The Help I need now is: --------------------------

* How can I restore DCS to start with a full size center monitor again?

* What .LUA files need to be changed (if any) or added?

Thanks so much for any assistance. Right now, I can't use DCS.

Steve

p.s. I would have attached screen shots but I can't figure that out either!

Intel i5 9400F @ 4 Ghz, 32 Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD hard drive, MSI RTX 2070 Super w/8 Gb, Gigabit Ethernet, 2,3,3.1 USB, 3 ASUS 27" monitors 1440 x 2560 @ 144Hz. ThrustMaster joystick, throttles, TPR rudder pedals, TrackIr, HC Gamerlife headset w/mic. DCS 2.5.5 and X-plane-11, WIN 10.

I believe the problem is that your aspect ratio is set incorrectly in the lua file. The aspect ratio per display should be the aspect ratio of that display (for 2560x1440 it should be 1.777), but you have it set to 5.333.

To reset your settings, either open C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\options.lua and change the width and height, or just delete the file and DCS will recreate it the next time you start the game, though you will have to redo your settings from scratch. For the lua file, since you have 3 identical monitors, you should be able to just use the stock lua file, which sizes itself automatically based on your resolution:

_  = function(p) return p; end;
name = _('3 Screen');
Description = 'Configuration with 3 identical monitors each with its own camera'
Viewports = 
{
    Left = 
    {
         x = 0;
         y = 0;
         width = screen.width / 3;
         height = screen.height;
         viewDx = -1;
         viewDy = 0;
         aspect = screen.aspect / 3;
    },

Center = 
    {
         x = screen.width / 3;
         y = 0;
         height = screen.height;
         viewDx = 0;
         viewDy = 0;
    },

Right = 
    {
         x = screen.width * 2 / 3;
         y = 0;
         height = screen.height;
         viewDx = 1;
         viewDy = 0;
    }
}

If you want to do it by hand though, make sure your x and y are integer values (you put fractional values in your lua) and that the aspect is per display. You can use math in the lua file, so for aspect you can just put 2560 / 1440 and for x, depending on which monitor is your primary one, you either want -2560, 0, or 2560.

3-Monitor problem - SOLVED

I was able to fix the problem of only one monitor of three displaying partial view of DCS.

1. C:Users\<name>\saved games\DCS\config\options.lua

2. Edit 'options.lua' file using free NotePad++ software.

Settings: 'Width' = 7680

'Height' = 1440

'Aspect ratio' = 5.333

3. C: program files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\MonitorSetup\1Camera.lua

Settings: 'Width' = 7680

'Height' = 1440

'Aspect' = 5.333

4. Start DCS: OPTION - CONTROLS

Settings: 'Resolution' = 7680 x 1440

'Aspect Ratio' = 5.3333333

'Monitors' = 1 Screen

'VSYNC' = (CHECKED)

'FULL SCREEN' = (CHECKED)

Upon startup, DCS displays a full screen image across all 3 monitors.

Thanks to all for yoiur prompt response and assistance. I can now proceed to finish setting up flight controls and learning DCS operations.

Steve

Upon startup, DCS displayed FUL

Intel i5 9400F @ 4 Ghz, 32 Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD hard drive, MSI RTX 2070 Super w/8 Gb, Gigabit Ethernet, 2,3,3.1 USB, 3 ASUS 27" monitors 1440 x 2560 @ 144Hz. ThrustMaster joystick, throttles, TPR rudder pedals, TrackIr, HC Gamerlife headset w/mic. DCS 2.5.5 and X-plane-11, WIN 10.

To avoid warping at the extremes, you may still want to use the 3 screens monitor lua. It will render a separate camera for each monitor rather than stretching a single one across all 3, which might look more appropriate if you have the monitors arranged in a curve around you. Compare this (single camera):

v7p0j40l.jpg

to this (3 cameras):

MYuddzJl.jpg

With the single camera version, it acts like an ultra wide angle lens and the left and right sides are highly distorted, whereas with the 3 camera version it looks as it would if you turned your head in that direction.

Edited by Ranma13

3-camera setup

Thanks for your suggestion to use a 3-camera multi-monitor setup. I used this setup in X-Plane-11 and it does give a more realistic viewing result.

I just needed a 3-monitor setup that would work short term so I could finish setting up controls etc. in DCS.

If anyone has a .lua example for 3-camera 3-monitor setup, I would love to have it! An example showing FOV with bezel correction would be very helpful. Otherwise, I may have enough .lua DCS info now to try it myself.

Love your DCS screen shots! How did you create the screen shots? Did you use 'Insert Image' in 'Reply to this post' to upload those to this post?

Steve

Your "x" coordinates in your original post are wrong for your centre and right monitors. The x,y coordinates for each screen refer to the top left corner.

With no bezel correction:-

For your centre screen you need x=2560, y=0 (With bezel correction, x=2560+one bezel width)

For your right screen you need x=5120, y=0 (With bezel correction, x=5120+two bezel widths)

Also like the guys already mentioned you need the aspect ratio for each screen to be 2560\1440 which equals 1.77778

Edited by Hunter_5E

If anyone has a .lua example for 3-camera 3-monitor setup, I would love to have it! An example showing FOV with bezel correction would be very helpful. Otherwise, I may have enough .lua DCS info now to try it myself.

Love your DCS screen shots! How did you create the screen shots? Did you use 'Insert Image' in 'Reply to this post' to upload those to this post?

Steve

The lua block in my previous post is what the 3 monitor setup is by default. It assumes that you have 3 monitors with the same resolution, but that's what you have so it should work. Most games don't have bezel correction (including DCS I think), so usually people will do it through their graphics driver.

For the screenshots, it's just pressing Print Screen to save a screenshot, then I upload it to Imgur and use a URL + image tag:

[noparse]thingl.jpg[/noparse]

Thanks for this info. I will make the corrections noted.

Steve

I just tried a 3-camera setup .lua and got the same original problem back--only one monitor displays DCS and its image is a strip 1/3 screen wide. I edited the default '3Screens.lua' file as follows:

name = _('3 Screen');

Viewports =

{

Left =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 2560;

height = 1440;

viewDx = -1;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.77778;

},

Center =

{

x = 2560;

y = 0;

width = 2560;

height = 1440;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.7778;

},

Right =

{

x = 5120;

y = 0;

width = 2560;

height = 1440;

viewDx = 1;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.7778;

}

}

The DCS OPTIONS are set to 3 screens.

What am I missing?

Steve

Additional info: My display positions in WIN 10 show the following:

Left Monitor = 2 Center Monitor = 3 Right Monitor = 1

The mouse moves seamlessly across all screens starting from LEFT to RIGHT and/or RIGHT to LEFT.

Steve

Even more info:

1. Changed screen display positions: Left = 3, Center = 2, Right = 1 (no affect on problem)

2. When opening '3Screens.lua' default file using Notepad++, it shows all the values I input. But if I open that file in regular Notepad, my values do NOT appear. Only the default formulas show!?

3. The DCS SYSTEM OPTIONS are set to: Resolution = 2560 x 1440, Aspect Ratio = 1.77778, Monitors = 3 screens

4. I tried changing DCS SYSTEM OPTIONS back to 1 screen with wide image, but the now narrowed 1/3 screen hides the checkbox to OK any changes. So, I'm stuck.

5. If I go into 'free flight' the center screen displays full size as it should, but the other 2 side screens do not display DCS.

6. The DCS main and option screens only display 1/3 size with no way of using DCS menus to make changes and/or save those changes.

Any help is much appreciated.

Steve

https://imgur.com/i3lvoEP

An example of the narrow screen problem, selected during 'Free Flight' in this case. All DCS System Screens are narrow, showing only partial menu items and no 'OK' checkbox to save any changes.

Steve

In the DCS options, your resolution has to be the total resolution of all 3 monitors combined, which in your case is 7680x1440. It might not show up in the dropdown, but you should be able to type it in directly. You can leave the aspect ratio alone, once you finish typing the resolution it will automatically change.

Try using the exact lua that I posted in post #2, it will automatically set the monitor config without you having to do it yourself. The only thing you might have to change is the monitor x and y positions, it assumes that the left monitor is your primary monitor, so if the center one is your primary one you might need to use

x = -screen.width / 3;

for the Left,

x = 0;

for the Center, and

x = screen.width / 3;

for the Right.

Also verify that you're editing C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Config\MonitorSetup\3Screens.lua.

I just tried a 3-camera setup .lua and got the same original problem back--only one monitor displays DCS and its image is a strip 1/3 screen wide. I edited the default '3Screens.lua' file as follows:

name = _('3 Screen');

Viewports =

{

Left =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 2560;

height = 1440;

viewDx = -1;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.77778;

},

Center =

{

x = 2560;

y = 0;

width = 2560;

height = 1440;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.7778;

},

Right =

{

x = 5120;

y = 0;

width = 2560;

height = 1440;

viewDx = 1;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.7778;

}

}

The DCS OPTIONS are set to 3 screens.

What am I missing?

Steve

The only error I can see that might possibly cause a conflict is your aspect - four sevens for the left screen but only three sevens for center and right. Those values should be exactly the same. Can't see it causing your problem but you never know with DCS.

I would also add at this point that the 3 Cameras setup is really meant for people using projectors in a square room, or who have monitors big enough to have them at 90 degrees to each other. There is no adjustment at present for monitors at angles other than 90 degrees and while the 3 Cameras view might be ok at altitude, it looks weird at ground level or low altitude.

My monitors are at 45 degrees to each other and the screenshot below shows what I see when sitting on the ramp in a KA-50. The horizon just looks totally wrong so I don't use this view and most other triple screen users avoid it as well to be honest. Despite the stretch, you're probably better off with 1 Camera view across your three monitors. Up to you in the end though.

I've also posted a modified "3 Cameras" lua file for you to try, just in case something went wrong with your original file. One tiny mistake in syntax will bork the file completely. It will show up as "3 Cam Test" in your monitor config dropdown box.

3 Cam Test.lua

696175033_KA-503CamerasView.thumb.jpg.f33f72d51ff94258e316ec17835cd6f1.jpg

Thanks so much for your help. I loaded DCS Beta, input the total resolution width for all screens, and selected 3-screens option in DCS Beta. It then correctly displayed the wide-screen image across all 3 monitors. I'm very happy with that for now.

I believe I may have corrupted one or more .lua files when I was editing in the regular DCS program. Once the screen was down to 1/3 width, there was no way to see or use the "OK' button to accept my changes to DCS Option menu items. Also, no matter how I edited .lua files, I could NOT get DCS to display a full size menu view again.

I have since uninstalled regular DCS and will run only DCS Beta for now.

Thanks for the '3 Cam Test.lua' file. After I get everything working properly in DCS Beta, I may give that a try.

Is .lua editing only suppose to be done in the DCS Beta program?

... I could NOT get DCS to display a full size menu view again...

When I start DSC with a 2-monitor set-up, mostly it's not in correct full-screen mode and the buttons don't work. This corrects itself when I click into the taskbar on my second monitor. Maybe that's what you are experiencing?

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

My problem was a bit different. Clicking on other screens did not restore either side monitor to show DCS at all.

After editing the '3screen.lua' file using Notepad++, the main monitor would show the whole DCS screen but shrunken 1/3 normal width. The buttons would work to go into Options menu. When Options was selected, only the middle 1/3 of that screen was displayed, leaving the rest hidden. So, some menu items on the left and right could not be seen to use, including the 'OK' button.

When I made changes to the DCS Options screen resolution , aspect ratio, or number of monitors, I could not save them because the 'OK' button was hidden. So, I could NOT correct the problem!

All is well now. I just finished setting up DCS Beta, the F18, and TracKIr. It all works as it should. While I have a large learning curve ahead of me, at least the DCS system and aircraft appear to be working properly.

Thanks for you suggestion.

Steve

Glad to hear you're up and running again - it's never fun to be struggling and frustrated by things not going right.

Lua editing can be done in any DCS version, not just the beta. A good practice though is to make backups of your original files before you edit anything. That way if things go wrong you can easily revert to original files and fix whatever went wrong.

I figured out a way to correct for angled monitor viewing. It has a couple of drawbacks, but does improve accuracy.

http://i.imgur.com/AHRg4pT.png

• Like 1

Hey pilots,

I just followed the fantastic guide here and it works perfect. Just a question regarding performance. What is graphic setting within DCS with 3x 2560x1440? Im really low on FPS (30-40)

ASUS Maximus XI CODE Z390 | I9 9900K (5GHz)  | G-Skill TridentZ 32GB 4000MHz | RTX 3090Ti | Creative AE-9 | Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 2TB | VR Headset HP Reverb G2 rev2

3-monitor graphics settings

I posted my graphics settings in the files below:

https://imgur.com/EJz8cYv

https://imgur.com/gxwDE9K

FPS rates range 40 -50. Note my computer specs at bottom of this post.

Steve

Edited by stevem122

Thanks Steve for sharings your settings. Overall I decided to return the triple setup, due to low fps in general.

ASUS Maximus XI CODE Z390 | I9 9900K (5GHz)  | G-Skill TridentZ 32GB 4000MHz | RTX 3090Ti | Creative AE-9 | Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 2TB | VR Headset HP Reverb G2 rev2

I figured out a way to correct for angled monitor viewing. It has a couple of drawbacks, but does improve accuracy.

http://i.imgur.com/AHRg4pT.png

I hate to say, on the KA-50 it just makes things much worse - see my screenshot, made using that sin formula. I imagine it will be the same for all aircraft as it rotates the side screens the wrong way and thus duplicates parts of your centre view.

The required correction method is not coded in so it's just not possible using "DX" tweaking. As far as I can tell, the only real use for "DX" is to define which screen is left, centre and right. Maybe some subtle tweaks for final alignment of projectors at 90 degrees in a room perhaps but that's it.

I've posted in the DCS Wishlist asking for proper triple screen adjustments but nobody has +1'd it or commented at all so no idea if they'll even bother with it. https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=262584

We can live in hope I guess.

71757828_KA-503Camerasusingsinformula.thumb.jpg.1674a0f7e26656ae315a0b9e95d28434.jpg

• Like 1

I agree. While my screens FOV was corrected with little displacement, it obviously has problems on other aircraft. DCS will have to make internal changes and offer new Options for it to work correctly (like in X-Plane 11).

Thanks for your input.

Steve