F-16: Cougar Microstick: slowing down TGP movement

Lange_666

Currently working on an F-16 profile for my Cougar, i need to bring down the cursor speed on the TGP when it is fully zoomed.

On Wags TGP video, when fully zoomed the TGP cursor speed is slow so he can make fine adjustments.

I'm using this on my A-10C profile:

MIY 3 RDR_CURSOR_Switch-Right ^ RDR_CURSOR_Switch-Left

MIX 3 RDR_CURSOR_Switch-Down ^ RDR_CURSOR_Switch-Up

Here the movement on the TGP when fully zoomed is slow enough so i can make small adjustments to designate the target.

However, using the same in the F-16's profile, it doesn't work. The cursor speed is to high, and even more when full zoom is used.

I tried Rudel_chw microstick stuff:

MIY 5 3 (0 40 60 100) (/H RDR_CURSOR_Switch-Right) ^ (/H RDR_CURSOR_Switch-Left)

MIX 5 3 (0 40 60 100) (/H RDR_CURSOR_Switch-Down) ^ (/H RDR_CURSOR_Switch-Up)

But that's the +/- same as what i do above (or it acts the same, i see no real difference).

Then i tried to play around with other extra "bands" but nothing seems to work or gives an error (and i don't exactly understand what these bands do, it's all a bit (or more then a bit) Chinese).

The help file says i need to use the Composer to make this work but even here when compiling stuff inserted from the Composer, the compiler comes with an error stating there's a problem with the number of bands, it only seems to work with 3 although the help file and the Composer say you can use up to 50.

Then i tried to insert some DLY (delay) statements but that didn't work either.

Also, if i could slow down the cursor speed fully zoomed, it might be way to slow in non zoomed view...

So i'm a bit lost here...

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I gave up on the bands thing...just don't understand it.

Found that I maybe might use a type 4 digital axis statement where i can use a delay.

But that will probably make the TGP to slow when not zoomed.

Something to test tomorrow...

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Lange_666 said:

Currently working on an F-16 profile for my Cougar, i need to bring down the cursor speed on the TGP when it is fully zoomed.

I tried Rudel_chw microstick stuff:

MIY 5 3 (0 40 60 100) (/H RDR_CURSOR_Switch-Right) ^ (/H RDR_CURSOR_Switch-Left)

MIX 5 3 (0 40 60 100) (/H RDR_CURSOR_Switch-Down) ^ (/H RDR_CURSOR_Switch-Up)

But that's the +/- same as what i do above (or it acts the same, i see no real difference).

Yes, it's about the same, the type 5 axis just allows to leave a large gap on the center of the stick so that it's less likely to move the wrong direction by mistake.

The only way I've found to get the Cursor to move slower, is to use the Microstick as an analog axis, rather than the digital axes of the MIY or MYX statements.

To do this, we need to ensure that the Microstick axes can be seen by DirectX .. on the Cougar Control Panel I have this by default:

4JUCdhP.jpg

DirectX can only see tha 1-8 axes, but the Cougar has 10 axes ... you can see on the above picture that my Microstick axes are on the 9 & 10 slots, so DCS will never be able to see them.

To fix, I select the slots 6 & 7 for the Microstick, this will leave unrecognized the toe brakes axes, but that doesnt bother me as I dont have the Cougar's rudder ... now I click on Apply (tickmark) and Apply (button), like this:

Zv5aNUH.jpg

The Cougar will now restart (not the PC, just the Hotas)

Now I go to my profile and comment out the two lines corresponding to the digital axes I was using:

PsBjkic.jpg

Now I go to DCS controls and now can select axes for the Radar:

0qX1bn4.jpg

Since the microstick has a very limited travel, it needs a lot of tuning to be able to move the Cursor slowly over short distances, but faster when I need to move longer .. here is a video I recorded while tuning mine:

Give it a try 🙂

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Give it a try :)

Will do later today after work.

• 10 months later...

Hi So let me ask... If you have to do this and have to use this with Button Emulation on...

You then have to write a full stick program and not be able to use the DCS functions that model their real world counterparts correct?

So for example Long Press DMS down in game works like it works in the real jet.

With Button emulation on you can't program a stick file to simulate DMS long press down.

Am I missing something here.

Thanks

Yes, it's about the same, the type 5 axis just allows to leave a large gap on the center of the stick so that it's less likely to move the wrong direction by mistake.

The only way I've found to get the Cursor to move slower, is to use the Microstick as an analog axis, rather than the digital axes of the MIY or MYX statements.

To do this, we need to ensure that the Microstick axes can be seen by DirectX .. on the Cougar Control Panel I have this by default:

4JUCdhP.jpg

DirectX can only see tha 1-8 axes, but the Cougar has 10 axes ... you can see on the above picture that my Microstick axes are on the 9 & 10 slots, so DCS will never be able to see them.

To fix, I select the slots 6 & 7 for the Microstick, this will leave unrecognized the toe brakes axes, but that doesnt bother me as I dont have the Cougar's rudder ... now I click on Apply (tickmark) and Apply (button), like this:

Zv5aNUH.jpg

Now I go to my profile and comment out the two lines corresponding to the digital axes I was using:

PsBjkic.jpg

0qX1bn4.jpg

Since the microstick has a very limited travel, it needs a lot of tuning to be able to move the Cursor slowly over short distances, but faster when I need to move longer .. here is a video I recorded while tuning mine:

8sR0MkPS9kY

Give it a try :)

My mission is to fly, fight, and win. o-:|:-o What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.

With Button emulation on you can't program a stick file to simulate DMS long press down.

Yes you can, just add the /H (hold) modifier to the button you want a long press on.

• 1 year later...
On 10/14/2019 at 11:43 PM, Rudel_chw said:

4JUCdhP.jpg

Zv5aNUH.jpg

PsBjkic.jpg

0qX1bn4.jpg

Give it a try 🙂

hi where did you get your profile in foxy ? i don't have anything

41 minutes ago, Reaper. said:

hi where did you get your profile in foxy ? i don't have anything

Hi. I have not flown the F-16 in a very long while, so I'm sure that my profile is quite obsolete at this point ... but if you want to try it:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3306487/

Please, keep in mind that I'm not able to provide support for it as I have moved on to other DCS modules.

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

1 hour ago, Rudel_chw said:

Hi. I have not flown the F-16 in a very long while, so I'm sure that my profile is quite obsolete at this point ... but if you want to try it:

Please, keep in mind that I'm not able to provide support for it as I have moved on to other DCS modules.

Best regards

thx and how do you comment the lines in foxy ?

4 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

Best regards

bruh all my binds are broken 

4 hours ago, Reaper. said:

thx and how do you comment the lines in foxy ?

1 hour ago, Reaper. said:

bruh all my binds are broken 

Sorry, as I said, I can't provide support on the F-16 😞