An option for a new cockpit and a new canopy glass?

Rabbisaur

Who else wants to have the option on F-14 to choose between a shiny new plane, (new cockpit, clear glass) and what we have now (a battle hardened museum highlight of the year)?

Also I find that many other models that have a clear glass compare to what we have on F-14 has a huge advantage in MP when spotting enemy aircraft. Since most advanced players don't use radar in WVR situation. Can we also at least have the option to turn the nice effects on the canopy off? I don't want to gain unfair advantage over opponent in MP. I just want to have a higher FPS. I'm innocent as always.

Edited by Rabbisaur
  • Like 1

+100

cpu:I7-6700k Z170 16GB Ram DDR4 Gtx 1080 8Gb DDR5 11GBs SSD 500 Gb 2 HDD 1Tb Evga supernova G2 850w Case Bequiet series 800 Silent base Win 10 pro 64 bit

My wishlist: F-35/B-17G/F4U Corsair/Yak-3/P-40B Tomahawk

You mean a cockpit like this?

I used to complain that it was too clean...that I liked weathered. The DCS one is way more weathered than I'd like but it'll do.

v6,

boNes

Edited by bonesvf103
In-post YouTube not working for some reason

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

You mean a cockpit like this?

I used to complain that it was too clean...that I liked weathered. The DCS one is way more weathered than I'd like but it'll do.

v6,

boNes

That why I said an option to choose between...

I'm personally very used to the F14, I know all the buttons switches so I don't have to look. But I care about an option for a clear canopy so I can have (cough...) higher FPS during competitive MP sessions.

In the real world they are never new or clean.... So good job for me by HB.

Inviato dal mio BLA-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

Of course good job HB. Please make an option so we can turn the advance effects on the canopy glass off. It kills my FPS especially in VR.

If you tune the shader in DCS and turn off the advance glass effect of the canopy alone, it will give you 20 more FPS in VR... Just with this modification, you cannot pass the integrity check in MP... Can we make an optional clear glass to allow more people to enjoy higher FPS in MP?

Edited by Rabbisaur

I wish there was a keystroke for "USE HAND TO SHADE DISPLAY" because sometimes, whether the display is clean or not, if the sun shines on it, I can't read it, and I would be able to if I shaded it with my virtual hand!

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

Of course good job HB. Please make an option so we can turn the advance effects on the canopy glass off. It kills my FPS especially in VR.

If you tune the shader in DCS and turn off the advance glass effect of the canopy alone, it will give you 20 more FPS in VR... Just with this modification, you cannot pass the integrity check in MP... Can we make an optional clear glass to allow more people to enjoy higher FPS in MP?

OMG, is this for real, where is that option?

True, but in the real world if the pilot physically can't read the labels on things I think the aircraft would be sent back for maintenance.

In the real world, if pilots need to read the labels on a thing they will return to the academy.

True, but in the real world if the pilot physically can't read the labels on things I think the aircraft would be sent back for maintenance.

In the real world, pilots who have to stop and look down to read a label are sent back for burial...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

I just repeat my personal opinion about the cockpit weathering, as I have done with other modules:

Every module should start with a completely new/factory textures. Meaning very very little wearing if even that, just what one could expect from the aircraft after the factory tests and test flights before delivering the aircraft to the service. So basically nothing really weathered.

This is to simulate the aircraft year starting in the service.

Then every module should come out with a second set of textures, that is weathered in normal use. That is like a 5-10 years in operations, now you can see the cockpit having little more cracks and dust some places and wearing in the edges of the panels and all. It is like normal weathering set if someone wants to use such and mission is such amount in the future.

And then a third set of a artistic visuality, full weathering from the museum, from the 30 years in the service without any kind ground crew maintenance. No repairing, no cleaning, nothing, if so wanted. And that is exempt weathering and not required, but in some cases that the texture artists wants to do, like for Mig-21Bis or for Mig-19.

And then ED to implement a new feature called "Automatic cockpit weathering by era", where the cockpit modification has a year when it is taken in use. So when mission designer sets the mission to happen 2012, then the cockpit texture is taken automatically in use that is before the mission time. This is of course again one of the options that mission designer should be able to enforce if wanted, just like weapons etc, the cockpit between factory and the operational is there, but idea of the museum condition should be totally free to implement.

The same thing should ED make easily possible, just like the weather is adjusted based the time of the year, the weapons and skins should be automatically be possible limit by the service year. So if mission is set to 1994, then missiles and other weapons that didn't exist at that time gets automatically excluded from weapons loads available from everywhere.

Then aircraft liveries artists should as well fill the year when it was taken in use, like if a squadron 58th used their own livery and that squadron was active only from 2009 forward, then it is not available for missions under that.

Of course this doesn't apply for a virtual pilots squadron liveries if not wanted, but for official liveries. Just like we have that a Russian F/A-18C can't have the liveries that USN can have and vice versa.

• Like 2

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

In the real world, pilots who have to stop and look down to read a label are sent back for burial...

And looking a real world pilots testing modules they did fly in real world, who doesn't remember where the basic cockpit instruments are, are suppose to be do what?

Really, a real pilots do not remember everything, that is why the cockpit instruments are heavily organized, labeled and set with physical differential switches, buttons etc so they can be more easily spotted. That is why real pilots use checklists, as anyone no matter how skilled and experienced you are, will forget very simple basic things.

That is as well reason why the hospitals as well copied the checklists from aviation but made it for surgery rooms:

It really is a more common problem than people would even believe that after a operation there are some medical instruments or pieces (fabrics etc) left inside the body. That is very simple mistake that can happen, a wrongly done calculation. No idea that the corresponding doctor ain't in the room, that wrong limb or organ is operated/removed etc.

It ain't a joke that surgeons will clearly mark the side and the limb that they need to operate by asking it from you on the operation table, just to be sure that it is exactly the right one.

Wouldn't one now say that surgeon who can't read that "right leg amputation" is the correct one, instead amputating the left leg? Can't they read?

https://www.lifebox.org/thechecklisteffect/

A fighter pilot is required to operate under heavy psychological and physical stress. Under heavy G forces to be able to perform the right functions, under emergency situation to press correct buttons and flip correct switches etc.

And that is one part of the co-pilot to be there, to run the checklists for the pilot in emergency and confirm that correct procedure is done.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I just repeat my personal opinion about the cockpit weathering, as I have done with other modules:

Every module should start with a completely new/factory textures. Meaning very very little wearing if even that, just what one could expect from the aircraft after the factory tests and test flights before delivering the aircraft to the service. So basically nothing really weathered.

Then every module should come out with a second set of textures, that is weathered in normal use. That is like a 5-10 years in operations, now you can see the cockpit having little more cracks and dust some places and wearing in the edges of the panels and all. It is like normal weathering set if someone wants to use such and mission is such amount in the future.

And then a third set of a artistic visuality, full weathering from the museum, from the 30 years in the service without any kind ground crew maintenance. No repairing, no cleaning, nothing, if so wanted. And that is exempt weathering and not required, but in some cases that the texture artists wants to do, like for Mig-21Bis or for Mig-19.

And then ED to implement a new feature called "Automatic cockpit weathering by era", where the cockpit modification has a year when it is taken in use. So when mission designer sets the mission to happen 2012, then the cockpit texture is taken automatically in use that is before the mission time. This is of course again one of the options that mission designer should be able to enforce if wanted, just like weapons etc, the cockpit between factory and the operational is there, but idea of the museum condition should be totally free to implement.

The same thing should ED make easily possible, just like the weather is adjusted based the time of the year, the weapons and skins should be automatically be possible limit by the service year. So if mission is set to 1994, then missiles and other weapons that didn't exist at that time gets automatically excluded from weapons loads available from everywhere.

Then aircraft liveries artists should as well fill the year when it was taken in use, like if a squadron 58th used their own livery and that squadron was active only from 2009 forward, then it is not available for missions under that.

Of course this doesn't apply for a virtual pilots squadron liveries if not wanted, but for official liveries. Just like we have that a Russian F/A-18C can't have the liveries that USN can have and vice versa.

+1000000 :thumbup:

cpu:I7-6700k Z170 16GB Ram DDR4 Gtx 1080 8Gb DDR5 11GBs SSD 500 Gb 2 HDD 1Tb Evga supernova G2 850w Case Bequiet series 800 Silent base Win 10 pro 64 bit

My wishlist: F-35/B-17G/F4U Corsair/Yak-3/P-40B Tomahawk

Labeling isn't just for pilots, they aren't the only ones who's jobs involve flipping switches. All kinds of shops spend time performing their maintenance and procedures functions. They better be clearly and neatly organized, because many of the guys doing the checks aren't exactly regulars at it.

I thought that Heatblur is going to have varied textures for weathering that will be applied dynamically each time you hope in. So the cockpit would look different for every flight. That being said, I also think I read that feature has not been implemented yet. Hopefully when it is released it will make it a bit easier to read labels than it is currently.

There are some "clean cockpit" textures in the user files. I haven't personally used them so I don't know how good they are.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3303911/

do you have to read the labels on your TV remote when they wear off? or can you press them with your eyes closed?

And then ED should charge you for every cockpit seperately as DLC. Or should you buy the module for 80-90$ including all pits? Questions over questions...

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I wish there was a keystroke for "USE HAND TO SHADE DISPLAY" because sometimes, whether the display is clean or not, if the sun shines on it, I can't read it, and I would be able to if I shaded it with my virtual hand!

v6,

boNes

Agreed, I'd pay extra for that, especially trying a cold start when the sun is just right and you cant read what you have some dials set to.

6D80k38.jpg

And then the flight sim developer goes into bankruptcy because the cockpit textures took 4 years to make :D

Snarkiness aside; it really isn't feasible to deliver even two cockpit texture sets at our quality level and current workflow unfortunately.

We did just add support for custom cockpits though, so hopefully we can rely on the fantastic modding community somewhat on this!

Edited by Cobra847

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

No, no! Heatblur should include dynamic cockpit smells too. The cockpit should smell worse with use, including sweat, paint touch up, canopy polish, denuded ham sandwiches dropped under G under the RIO's seat, lots of vomit and even a little blood here and there...

Viewpoints are my own.

No, no! Heatblur should include dynamic cockpit smells too. The cockpit should smell worse with use, including sweat, paint touch up, canopy polish, denuded ham sandwiches dropped under G under the RIO's seat, lots of vomit and even a little blood here and there...

I'm actually quite happy that this level of simulation is beyond the reach of current technology.

I really think HB's cockpit's & especially the F-14B, are a work of art :thumbup:. Using TrackIr I'm not FPS limited like the VR folks are, but I hope we'll get a solution for them as well.

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.