DCS: F-14 CASE I Carrier Landing Tutorial

104th_Maverick

DLC is engaged and checked on downwind. You are referencing actual use of DLC, which generally was only required to stop from going flat in close, after adding power to counter the downdraft behind the boat.

Usually, the technique was one or two quick "clicks" in the nose down direction. Bang Bang to stop from going flat as you cleared the ramp.

Viewpoints are my own.

Why is the the +5º pitch line in the HUD on the horizon? When level, the VV was pretty close to the 5º line, and I noticed that there was a miscompare between the HUD and ADI.

What are you using for your scan?

It was that way in the aircraft.

The HUD is designed for weapons delivery, and is not a primary flight display. Everyone, and I mean everyone I know turned it either way down for landing at the ship, or completely off.

Learn to fly using the VDI for attitude and heading information.

Edited by Victory205

Viewpoints are my own.

By weapons delivery, I assume you mean A to A? Dive angle is crucial for air to ground deliveries, I don’t remember it being like that. If my memory is correct the horizon line was usually about 1° above the horizon in the HUD, not 5° below. In the VDIG-R, they were calibrated.

I agree about turning it off for landing.

The higher you go, the closer the horizon line gets to the real horizon.

Pitch is referenced to the aircraft symbol correctly, it just doesn't correlate to the real horizon accurately. Go figure.

Heatblur got it right.

1811438104_HUDpitch.thumb.png.ce6530b6326bda9b2e59cdb2da628643.png

Edited by Victory205

Viewpoints are my own.

The HUD is designed for weapons delivery, and is not a primary flight display. Everyone, and I mean everyone I know turned it either way down for landing at the ship, or completely off.

Right on, I think this serves as a great opportunity to relearn basic scanning techniques. I'm going to try it the old school way and just turn the HUD off from the beginning. It's definitely a challenge.

The only adantage I will miss just a little is the E bracket, which I guess real life pilots didn't need in the groove as they could feel exactly what the jet was doing.

For clarity, the E-bracket/velocity vector wasn’t widely used during landing? Just sight picture and the AoA indexer?

For clarity, the E-bracket/velocity vector wasn’t widely used during landing? Just sight picture and the AoA indexer?

Right, and calls from the RIO around the turn. That would be briefed as each pilot had his own tastes. I usually wanted VVI and knots to lose when rolling wings level in the groove.

Right on, I think this serves as a great opportunity to relearn basic scanning techniques. I'm going to try it the old school way and just turn the HUD off from the beginning. It's definitely a challenge.

The only adantage I will miss just a little is the E bracket, which I guess real life pilots didn't need in the groove as they could feel exactly what the jet was doing.

AOA indexer turned up bright, and trim.

Just tried using the same case 1 technique that I use with the F18, and managed 2 out of 2 traps. Smug would be a reasonable statement.

For all that, I'd better go read the manual now so I understand how you SHOULD do it.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Just tried using the same case 1 technique that I use with the F18, and managed 2 out of 2 traps. Smug would be a reasonable statement.

For all that, I'd better go read the manual now so I understand how you SHOULD do it.

I managed to plop it on the deck first try too, but jesters vertebrea never recovered... And I am doing it wrong... Very wrong, not by the book but it works in DCS...

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The 5800 word landing guide (this should kill Millennials) is ready, just waiting to see where HB want to put it.

NICE! :megalol:

F-15E | AH-64 | F/A-18C | F-14B | A-10C | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | Ka-50 | SA342 | Super Carrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria |

Intel Core i7 11700K - 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 - MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming X 12GB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 1TB

The 5800 word landing guide (this should kill Millennials) is ready, just waiting to see where HB want to put it.

Thanks for the time that went in to it sir... can't wait to start working up the skills to nail it properly!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

This is excellent. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this. I've recently developed an appreciation for just how solid the back of an aircraft carrier is. This is exactly what I was searching for to learn how to land rather than just getting lucky on occasion. Study and practice!