What am I doing wrong - AGM65D

filthymanc

Hi all,

Can anyone point out to me what I am doing wrong, because I can't figure it out.

On several occasions now I have fired off an AGM65D towards my target and for some reason it is not hitting it.

What I usually do....

Make TGP SPI.

Locate target on TGP and select area or point depending on target

Slave MAV to TGP.

Switch to MAV and get target locked on.

When in range, fire the missle.

Then usually the missle does not hit.

I'm a novice so any advice is welcome.

Thanks.

IIRC there is an area within the mavericks seeker limit where the seeker has to be at the moment of launch to ensure a hit; the mav can find and lock targets outside of this zone in order to provide flexibility for targeting purposes but to get hits you need to be pulling the aircraft round on to the target vector from you and then launching - I suspect this be the issue you're coming up against.

Bunyap's Youtube "On the Range" has EXCELLENT tutorials on the Maverick among other things.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

It's most probably the keyhole. You need to fire the maverick within the keyhole limitations which are marked in the following pic by the red dotted line. The pointing cross need to be within them on launch.

2po8efn.png

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

It's most probably the keyhole. You need to fire the maverick within the keyhole limitations which are marked in the following pic by the red dotted line. The pointing cross need to be within them on launch.

2po8efn.png

Interesting. Never knew that. Thanks.

Basically everything everyone in here has said...

BUT! Make sure you aren't pulling G's when you fire the thing. I rarely do, but sometimes I get careless and I'll let an Maverick off the rails when I'm turning a wee too hard and it'll go way off target, particularly the H/K when you force correlate.

Make sure you're TMS UP SHORT and the tracking gate clamps down on the target. The image above is not showing locked, just slaved.
Yes, learnt this a few weeks ago. My new favourite thing, hated slewing everywhere.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Mavericks might actually target fences, power lines, etc at times. Sometimes you need to make sure none of those are in the line of fire. Might just need to change your direction of attack to make sure those are not going to interfere with what your trying to lock the maverick on.